• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Golurk Can Fly, IDK Why!

Years
It's common knowledge that Golurks are 9 feet 2 inch, 727.5 lb behemoths, of the ground and ghost types. But for some odd reason, they are able to fly. No, they do not levitate, they take off like a rocket. Now my question for you is, why do you think Golurks are able to fly? It's a strange pokemon to do so, whereas many other deserving pokemon *cough* almost all bugs with wings *cough* cannot. Is there a reason Golurks needed to fly? The pokedex entry in White says: It is said that Golurk were ordered to protect people and Pokémon by the ancient people who made them. Do you think there was some sort of aerial threat that the people needed protection from?

Let's think. What could possibly have been flying around in ancient times to cause such a threat? Probably something of legend, maybe even...

Reshiram and Zekrom. Just look. Golurk is perfect for taking down these two, it's ground typing super effective on each! If a flying pokemon was built to stop them it could be destroyed by Zekrom or toasted by Reshiram. (if it were a steel type) And also, goletts preside in Dragonspiral tower. As if they were guarding something...

So, why do you think Golurks can fly? And do you think my theory is feasible?* Discuss!!!

*I know it's a long shot of a theory, just think about it. :D

Years
Golurks can learn fly purely because it can 2HKO Tangrowth with Life orb or CB.
Seriously though, Golurks are based off of robots, and some robots were programmed to fly? Golurk might've been a failed experiment of a robot ;], but the flying program still worked?

Sirfetch’d

I think your theory is very good. There is a weird connection of how they are super effective to the 2 dragons and are found in Dragon Spiral Tower. It says that he has a strange energy that burns inside. Possibly the passion it has for protecting people as that is what it was created for(source Bulbapedia). This is likely what enables it to fly.

CourageHound

Trust & Courage. Nothing More
Years
Like seriously Golurk is a robot. If you look on bulbapedia you'll see they reference the anime and the victini movie with pictures showing Golurk turning its hands and feet into rocket boosters. Thats the energy burning inside.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
I never tried, but hey, it can Fly? I oughta teach that guy the move; right now, I'm spamming Earthquake and some uber Fighting move when I use it.

As for why it can Fly, I was going to just say it's an uber bad-ash robot. Enough said.

Cyclone

Years
Well, Golurk being able to learn fly is news to me. Granted, I've never really used one, but I wouldn't have ever thought to check if it could in fact learn it. Your theory does make a good amount of sense, but it still bugs me that there are other Pokemon that should have Fly but don't, and Golurk for some reason has it (kind of like Rhydon/Tauros with Surf).

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I want to say I keep enjoying looking at this title!

Nevertheless, idk actually. I don't think it's because it's a robot or a protector really. Maybe it can use Fly because it is the land of Unova rather than a protector. While land can't fly, it'd make sense if the land is everywhere, kind of like the sky and the sea are everywhere. idk, protector is suiting that more then lmao. Protector of Unova rather than dragons tho imo.

PaxAmericana

Resident Peacekeeper
Years
I like this legend theory the original poster has stated.
I actually feel that's a very logical reason, for Golurk, again, has the supereffectiveness on both of the Unova dragons, and the "flying" method, would, again, help protect this ancient Unovian civilization from the raging dragons.

TL;DR: I agree with the original posters idea.

CJBlazer

Rogon, the Ninja Pokemon
Years
Well, if you ever saw the Zekrom movie, you will see that Golurk is a robot that can turn his legs into rockets at will.

So imagine if a person was riding on his shoulders as he flew. There is your answer.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
It can fly because it Golurks concept is "the Iron Giant", or any generic Mech Anime.
The Iron Giant can Fly.

Int the anime, he just turtles his arms and legs and takes off like an actual rocket.

I love that connection made to the Legendary Dragons. Makes a lot of sense.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
Actually Golurk does fly like a rocket in the anime. (putting the rest in spoilers because I reference newer Best Wishes episodes)

Spoiler:

Musica

PPPPPDPPPPP
Years
Well, Golurk is a robot with legs that can be rockets. Wait... A dead robot? The odd thing here is that that robot has a soul. I just wonder why it is a Ground-type and not Steel.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Well, Golurk is a robot with legs that can be rockets. Wait... A dead robot? The odd thing here is that that robot has a soul. I just wonder why it is a Ground-type and not Steel.
Because it's well-grounded.

Yeah, all right, that was lame. I know I use the Ghost typing to my advantage, however. Audino doesn't stand a chance even against a weaker Golett or Golurk. Wow, did that rack up experience points in a hurry (probably not as fast as having another complete the battles quicker tho).

Cyclone

Pinta77

Ya, just like CourageHound said, it could fly in the movie so they must have some sort of reason for it >.<

Years
Well, just look at its Pokedex entry:
'It flies across the sky at Mach speeds' and 'They run on a mysterious energy.'
So pretty much it's a ghost so it can float around, this mysterious energy must come from something; therefore it can fly. :classic:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
If I recall, Golurk is not only based on golems, but also on the large mecha robots seen in some anime shows (even though Golurk is meant to be an ancient Pokémon). I think Golurk uses the ghostly energy that burns within it to fly; in the anime, it's seen tucking in its arms/legs to fly.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Ghosts kind of float tho, not really... fly. Golurk actually flies. Using energy from being a ghost would just result in hovering around which'd look quite strange. ;(

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
I remember seeing it fly in the last Pokemon movie and I was shocked, but to me it looks like a robot that was built in order to look like a golem; I don't think the Pokemon company wanted to make another golem to be similar to the Regi's.

'It flies across the sky at Mach speeds' and 'They run on a mysterious energy.'
So pretty much it's a ghost so it can float around, this mysterious energy must come from something; therefore it can fly

Maybe this mystery energy comes from dead spirits that it absorbs, I really think that the Pokemon company should have finished that "mysterious energy" part.

:t354:TG

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
Yeah ghostly energy kind of makes me think of levitating, which isn't what happens in this case. I did remember a comic from a while ago.

golurk-comic.jpg

Panel 1 – "(It appears that when the seal on Golurk's chest is taken off, its power runs rampant.)"
Panel 2 – Golett: "Can I take it off?" Golurk: "H-hey, stop!" Golett: "Just a peek!" Golurk: "No, no! Ah… ah!!"
Panel 3 – Golurk: "AAAHHHHHHHH!!!!" Golett: "Golurk!!"
Panel 4 – Golett: "Goluuuuuuuk!!" "(Golurk ran rampant before the seal was removed.)"

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Theory: Golurks are secretly Ghost rockets with such stored up energy that all they can do is blast up and fly away. It's the only logical explanation I can think of!

Back