• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What fangame style do you prefer?

[insert title name here]

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
In all honesty, I don't see any fan games done in any style that fits GameFreak's, not well anyway. Reason being is that there's not really much resources in the way of 3D. However, I particularly like the games that manage to blend styles of DPP, HGSS & B&W to work together and have their own sort of game style. It's what I do, I try to take the best aspects of the DS games and make them blend into a nice consistent style. It's hard to pull off however.

But, if you're starting a new fan game, I recommend just working in an easy style with lots of resources until you're ready to move on and change your game's style. My recommendation would be to make it in RSE/FRLG style or go into HGSS, both of those have an abundance of resources, as does DPP. To do anything like Black and White, well, you'd be stuck for tiles and graphics and if you're working in RMXP, you'd have an issue to try and get the same possibilities.

But no matter what style you do, just keep it consistent. That's always been my motto. If you start mixing styles, your game wont work so well. So long as you can pull your game off in a style, then you'll be off to a flying start. But my favourite fan games are the ones that pull off their own style, and not just copying the style of gamefreak.

Gmack

I'm back!
Years
Well, whatever style you work best with.
Plus, if you have a story done up already, try to picture how you would make the game with each of the different styles, and then see which style would fit the game best.
But me personally? I don't think the style should determine whether the game is actually good. I mean, just look at Raptor! Awesome game, but in Fr/Lg style.
So again, just do what you think would make the game better.

cruciFICTION

A Cruciform Kaleidoscope
Years
Emerald was easily my favourite of the official games what with how, I dunno - exotic? - it was in comparison to the others, but Diamond and Platinum (and I suppose Pearl too, though I never owned it) were graphically more pleasing.

Really though, I like the games that retain the feel of classic pokémon (exoticness, like Emerald, is a virtue to aspire to) while bringing new stuff to the table.
That's why I don't like Black and White. It just seems bland. It brings ONLY new things to the table, and it's just contrived and aberrant.

grooveturtle

Turtle Tamer
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 17, 2013
I personally like the G/S/C style the best, however, if it's a fan game, use your own style, that has resemblance to one or more of the ones used in a generation.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
No Gen II option is an insult!!

Anyway, most good games I see generally are custom 4th Gen.
I think Raptor Version was 3rd Gen, right?

But, it's up to you what you think is the best style for your own game.

Years
  • Seen Dec 11, 2016
Preferably the HGSS style. Gen IV had eyecadny, which neither of the flanking reions - Gens III and V - didn't. Like cruciFICTION says, BW was somewhat mheh-inducing. It was quite bland, slightly awkward, and too - WAY too - caustic. The 3D feel was a liability to the game, because it looked really sharpened at slight angles, like in Celestial Tower, when you ascend the steps. And the hands of most OWs - seriously, they can keep their hands at 45 degrees the whole day!

But this was a nonissue in HGSS. There were much more active, yet not as caustic colours in HGSS compared to BW. And the following feature was amazing and cute, as well as awkward. [Imagine Sand Storm or Snow Warning Pokémon on the OW outside your Pokéball]

Also, I may be biased towards HGSS since I've pretty much fallen in love with Gen II. ^^;

teejermiester

Minnesotan, you betcha!
Years
Do your own special mix. I just make my own tiles so they fit how I imagine them to be, so I guess I just have my own unique style. But a custom mix is definitely the best option, since I don't like hacks that just take tiles from a different game: Shows how lazy some people are, since I take hours perfecting my tiles.

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
Years
And the following feature was amazing and cute, as well as awkward. [Imagine Sand Storm or Snow Warning Pokémon on the OW outside your Pokéball]

Oh, thats not awkward. What's awkward is when you have a fish pokemon. seeing a majikarp flapping around is just hilarious

Bill™

Random Guy
Years
  • Seen May 31, 2012
In my opinion, Generation III was the best. It really captured the best of the games. I feel like the DPP tiles were pastel-ish. The HGSS tiles were good too, but personally I prefer the 2D Generation III tiles.

Years
  • Seen Nov 27, 2011
Well I wish there was a real time 3D game which feels like you are in the anime. But let's face it it would be really hard to make and even if you did, it would surely be ended by copyright owners. So I say keep it simple for you to do, 3D is not that necessary when you won't be using various 3D camera angles. I don't know B&W but other games are hard to be called "3D games" when the maps scroll in the same old style.

Btw I am also working on a project using FR/LG tilesets and its hard to complete it even in 2D. I think it is more important to have a finished work than having a fancy start. If you can manage to finish it, you can then try to upgrade graphics.

Good luck.

Years
  • Seen Oct 16, 2011
The 2D graphics of RSE/FRLG are really good. I don't like the "3D models" of the last games because they look messy and they're not really smooth (Maybe it's just the rips...I don't know).

Back