• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Bouffalant vs Tauros

Which one do you prefer?

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
128.gif
626.gif

There's no denying it, folks. These two pokémon are crazily similar, kind of like all the bird types out there. Which one do you like the best: Bouffalant or Tauros? Please state some pros and cons to support your opinion~!

Do you think they are different enough or too similar, really? Should Bouffalant have been an evolution of Tauros?​

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Design-wise, I like Tauros more. It's much more simplistic. Bouffalant has too much hair on its head, which, in my opinion, makes it look bad. ): When it comes to competive battling though, I would have to say Bouffalant is better. It's got more bulk, which allows it to endure more hits and last a couple of extra turns. This Pokémon may not be that fast compared to Tauros, but it does have higher Attack stat, which makes its physical moves more powerful. Plus, Bouffalant is one of the very few Pokémon that has access to the Sap Sipper ability. Sap Sipper enables it to be immune to grass attacks, and whenever it's hit by a grass-type move, its Attack power would be raised by one stage.

Orifiel

Priestess
Years
I'll go with Tauros. Bouffalant looks too hairy & mexican. (I don't know why)
Also, I have tauros in my Johto team for forever. That's why I pick tauros.
But comparing strength & defense, I don't know a thing. I just pick tauros
because I had him for a very long time. 4 years in my Johto team to be exact.
Anyways, I haven't used Bouffalant when I played Black/White. Judging by
Bouffalant's image. He looks pretty strong compare to Tauros. But Tauros
having two tail is kinda tough enough. So, Tauros!

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
128.gif
626.gif

There's no denying it, folks. These two pokémon are crazily similar, kind of like all the bird types out there. Which one do you like the best: Bouffalant or Tauros? Please state some pros and cons to support your opinion~!

Do you think they are different enough or too similar, really? Should Bouffalant have been an evolution of Tauros?

I think so. They look so similar and are both Normal-types, so maybe in the future that could be added.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I think too that they could have been evolutions rather than completely different species. It's not the only pokémon I feel that way about, another example is Luvdisc and Alomomola :x

In any case, I actually prefer Bouffalant. I think its design is much better than Tauros'. That 1st gen pokémon, I've always found to be pretty boring. Design wise, move wise and type wise. Tauros could have been dual typing to make it a bit more interesting, perhaps Normal/Ground?

Bouffalant at least looks cool enough to hold its ground as a Normal type. I haven't played a game with it though, so I can only look at the movesets and comment. Bouffalant seems more interesting here too, from a glance.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
Yeah when I first saw Bouffalant I thought it was the evolution of Tauros so I caught two and decided to breed myself a Tauros and for some reason the egg hatched and I was presented with yet another Bouffalant I googled why it happaned and was devastated

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
The thing about Bouffalant is that it was introduced in generation five when they weren't making any Pokemon related to past Pokemon. If it was introduced a generation earlier or possibly a generation later (not sure about the latter) then it could have very well been an evolution of Tauros.

I'm honestly not sure which one I like more. I like both of their designs and how they so competitively doesn't really matter to me. I'd say they're about tied as each has something I like and dislike about them.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
Hmm, Normal/Ground sounds good! I actually don't really mind Tauros and Bouffalant not being evolutionary brothers. I think being just the way they are is good enough!

I'm on Bouffalant's side. This Pokemon is tough! It has a stronger attack stat than Tauros, although lacking in speed. Speed doesn't hinder it much though as it has sufficient bulk to handle quite a number of hits thrown at it. I also think that Bouffalant is also more better designed than Tauros. Tauros looks a bit too plain imo. Too much like a regular bull. At least Bouffalant has that funky afro! x)

Sirfetch’d

Should Bouffalant have been an evolution of Tauros?

When I first encountered this Pokemon that was the first thought that came to mind, haha. I really like them both though and it is hard for me to pick a favorite because they are both so powerful and pretty cool Pokemon. That said, I'll go with Tauros because I have used it more and it is still one of my favorites from gen 1.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
When I sit down and think about it, Bouffalant doesn't look "good" enough to be a Tauros evo. They looked rather evenly matched, I'd imagine something a bit more grandeur. Regardless, Tauros. I never really liked Bouffalant's design or really anything about it haha.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
When I sit down and think about it, Bouffalant doesn't look "good" enough to be a Tauros evo. They looked rather evenly matched, I'd imagine something a bit more grandeur. Regardless, Tauros. I never really liked Bouffalant's design or really anything about it haha.

Hm, yeah I see what you mean. Bouffalant as an evolution should have been large as Mamoswine ;D

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
Tauros, koff~

Seeing as how Boufallant was the worst. . . wait? Did someone get the idea for this thread from something I said? Hm. Maybe not. Anyways, I mentioned in another thread about how Boufallant was the worst Generation V Pokemon (for me) and how it looked like a cheap looking 70's cousin of Tauros, koffi~

Years
I've got to say that I like Tauros more out of the two, but you can't deny that Bouffalant has a head of hair that most of us could only dream of!

And unlike the Luvdisc-Alomomola evolution that I really wanted, I don't feel bad that Tauros and Bouffalant aren't related at all. If Bouffalant didn't have the same base stat total as Tauros and was more than a few inches larger I might've been able to get behind it as an evolution, but as it is, I'm glad they're seperate.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
That afro is pretty much a big point, and I wasn't the greatest fan of Tauros (I'd say it's alright, but not much more... then again, I never used one). A bit disappointed though that the Head Smash or whatever move didn't keep its Japanese name. Afro Break is far cooler. =(

I can see where the 'they ought to be related' idea is coming from too - they're not too dissimilar. But it's not quite as obvious as a 'missed chance' of having it be an evolution as the Luvdisc/Alomomola case... As said above, their stats don't differ too much and they are the same size. But to play devil's advocate, that didn't stop the likes of Scizor much.

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
Years
I've never released how similar they actually looked! I could support the idea of them being evolutions but they DO look kinda different at the same time. Maybe style Bouffalant a little more and perhaps but not at that moment.

But as for which is better...I've never used them in games so I don't know how well they battle. Therefore, I'm judging based on looks. In that case, Tauros wins by a landslide. I can't help but think Bouffalant looks...silly. His big afro hair? I just can't take that seriously. He looks more silly than cool.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
In my opinion, Bouffalant is better than Tauros in almost every possible way. It's a better and more interesting design, with a better ability, better moveset and better stats in everything but Speed. Tauros' better Speed is the only reason that I say that Bouffalant is better in 'almost' every possible way. If it wasn't for that, it would be better in every possible way.

Bouffalant is a memorable design - with that enormous afro and those horn decorations, it looks like a badass from a 70s blaxploitation movie, and with its signature Head Charge (head? afro? get it?) it hits like a truck. And it's bulky enough that it's probably going to be around long enough that you're going to have to suffer through at least one Head Charge, which is going to just hurt that much more if it's Reckless, which in spite of not being as good strategically, is a great concept for an ability for it.

Tauros, on the other hand, has never really had a niche or a clear identity - it's just a bull that has three tails, for some reason. It hits hard enough to be sort of useful (though there's pretty much nothing it can do that Kangaskhan can't do better), and it is amazingly fast, for some reason, and that's pretty much that. It was already one of the more forgettable pokemon, and pales by comparison.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Bouffalant's afro makes it seem quite unbelievable and takes away a lot of the appeal for me, but I've gotten used to it a tad so it's now just "that ugly bull" haha. I prefer Tauros because it's a strong looking powerful Pokémon with a great design and no tacky gimmicks, but I do think it would've made sense for him to evolve into afrobull. (And whilst we're at it, Miltank is the best of all and should definitely have been the female form of Tauros!)

Years
Very much Tauros. The afro on Bouffalant is a nice touch but Tauros' simplicity is a lot nicer and fitting for a bull Pokemon. He helped me out a lot more in battles as well. :)

I don't think Bouffalant should've been an evolved form of Taurus though; he almost looks like another form, not an "upgraded" version of Tauros. It's hard to make an evolution for a Pokemon that's based off of an already-grown bull, haha. You can't really go any further.

Years
I think I should clarify something.

First buffalo and bulls are quite different.
Second, buffalo (bison) have a natural hairstyle reminiscent of an afro, or at least a human hairstyle, the designers were just emphasizing the similarities, as well as nodding to the afro in the American-inspired Region.

Honestly, Bouffalant wins for me; more thought went into the design.
Spoiler:

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
I like Bouffalant better, and I could only repeat the words below.
I'm on Bouffalant's side. This Pokemon is tough! It has a stronger attack stat than Tauros, although lacking in speed. Speed doesn't hinder it much though as it has sufficient bulk to handle quite a number of hits thrown at it. I also think that Bouffalant is also more better designed than Tauros. Tauros looks a bit too plain imo. Too much like a regular bull. At least Bouffalant has that funky afro! x)

Back