• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Avatar: New Legends [OOC] [1 Spot: Earthbender]

Sir Bastian

Christina - Crossroads
Years
Nice SU :) Swifty and I'll wait 'till we have at least a couple of people to choose between, and until then, let's see your creativity and what characters you might have in store! This is just about which character we feel would fit the best, rather than first-come first-serve :P

Lumbah_Rye

Here for the fun of it.
Years
Hey there! :D I've been lead to believe that there's an open spot for the position of Earthbender! Well, in that case, please consider my SU here. One for a boy, one for a girl. They are mostly the same, one with a few minor differences to fit their gender. I'd love to know, which you prefer :)
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Name:
Brent J. Oswald

Element:
Earth

Spoiler:

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Name:
Gaea J. Morrits

Element:
Earth

Spoiler:

A penny for you thoughts? :3

Last edited:

Sir Bastian

Christina - Crossroads
Years
Sounds good, Crush! We'll be waiting for you and possibly one or two others, so we have some to choose from. If you guys have any questions, feel free to shoot them our way :)

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
Years
Sweet, can't wait for the new earthbender to join in! Just warning, you'll have a crapton of text to read!

Years
Almost done with my SU guys, but I wanted to shoot a quick question: I seem to remember reading something about being allowed animals but can't find it with a quick search. Am I loosing my mind or did I just fail to see it on my second look through?

Sir Bastian

Christina - Crossroads
Years
Nope, it's totally allowed! I basically went 'If you can think of some kind of animal that would be in an Avatarverse and you think you can RP it good enough, you're free to make yourself a pet companion', which obviously can either be a small one like Momo or Pabu, or a larger one, like a polarbeardog, etc.

Years
Name: Roak (Roll the "r" & rhymes with soak) Shi (she)

Element: Earth

Additional weapon: A pair of one-handed fighting hammers occasionally supplemented with a spontaneously crafted stone arm covering and a pouch of various stones.

Appearance: Standing just a hair shy of six feet tall, the young earthbender's height is notable but not terribly impressive, however his broad, stocky, build is accentuated by layers of thick muscle from spending his teen years mining, giving him a thick, rooted appearance. The forelocks of his ropy, shoulder length hair are often pulled back into a simple tail that starts at the back of the crown of his head and lays atop his the rest of his unbound hair. Roak's eyes are the light grey of chips of flint but hold a quiet warmth. Water tribe heritage is evident in his high cheekbones and somewhat naturally darkened skin tone, although the latter is rarely noticed by those that do not know about his extensive experience in underground mines. Roak intends to keep his face clean shaven but life often gets in the way so he can often be seen sporting a bit of stubble and small triangle of hair just below his lower lip that is prone to disappear whenever he remembers to shave.

Roak's choice in clothing reflects his upbringing in a rural Earth Kingdom village: loose fitting, dark brown pants and several green and brown wrist bands covered in geometric patterns are year-round staples. During summer his feet are bare and his torso is covered by a sleeveless, dark green, gi top with yellow trim while spring and autumn sees the addition of a long sleeve undershirt the same color as the pants as well as thin soled sandals. Winter usually sees him garbed in a wolfbear fur-lined coat, boots, and gloves. When traveling Roak carries a canvas rucksack with his year-round clothing as well as a sleeping bag and supplies, but when settled in somewhere he usually only has his coin purse, his fighting hammers, and whatever book he's currently reading.

Personality: Coming from a relatively isolationist earthbender village, Roak was raised with a very traditionalist mindset. This makes him very respectful of elders and gives him a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude, in addition to making his bending techniques more resemble the martial forms than the quicker probending styles. This has changed somewhat since he left the village he was raised in to get a feel for the wider world, giving him something of a sense of skepticism towards traditions he hasn't grown up with but he's yet to apply that outlook toward his own belief systems. Overall Roak is an easygoing young man with an easy smile never far away but he's much more likely to be found listening than talking, at least until he's among friends or knows for certain that he's the most informed on a subject. With that being said, once he's been pushed to the limits of his tolerance he's not afraid to say things that others don't want to hear, and unfortunately for most people, he's very good at picking out exactly what that is.

Despite the passage of time, his traditionalist upbringing instilled a bit of a prejudice against the (former?) Fire Nation and to a lesser extent, firebenders in general. He isn't greatly aware of it, and hasn't been exposed to anyone who would correct his outlook so to him it's completely normal. Eventually someone will probably change that.

Brief History: Roak was raised in a small Earth Kingdom mining village with decidedly isolationist ideals. The village itself was located in a valley that more learned individuals might claim was the result of a meteor impact. Earthbender traditionalists saw this as an ideal location to build a village able to be literally sealed off from most of the outside world and their "contaminating influences." In this environment Roak should have grown up not knowing a great deal about the outside world but the appearance of Republic City officials to collect him interrupted that plan. Roak's parents and most of the community strongly protested taking one of their own and it would have come to blows had the Republic City officials not been benders skilled in their various arts. In the end, the boy had weathered his time in the camp like many others but his truly testing experiences didn't begin until he returned.

His family and close friends had been happy to see him returned safely and welcomed him back into the community with open arms right up until he started giving voice to ideas that were frowned upon by his village. For ten years nothing severe came of this aside from mild social isolation and the intense disapproval of many of the elders, however in Roak's sixteenth year one of the few trading caravans allowed in brought with them a small collection of new books, a few of which Roak was more than happy to acquire in exchange for a bit of gold he himself pulled from the earth. Soon thereafter he was known to spout ideals not from the village and once his collection was found as well as some of his own writings, many in the village strongly suggested that he go out and see the world himself, not to return until he had learned the error of dealing with the outsiders, especially his notions of "metal bending". Since then he's wandered most of the northwestern Earth Kingdom, eventually deciding to see Republic City.

Animal/Pet: During his travels Roak met a variety of interesting creatures, however none left quite the same impact as the saber-tooth moose lion cub he stumbled upon. The poor thing had appeared nearly starved, curled up in a ball in what appeared to be its family's den. The happy hunter's Roak had encountered in a nearby village gave him enough information that he knew no parents were coming back for the cub. He spent several weeks nurturing it back to health and by the time it was able to leave him, neither of them wanted to part so Maru has been with him ever since, although he's grown considerably larger.

Sample Roleplay: "Roak! ROAK! Away from him!" the voice echoed across the small training field. Young Roak, already showing the beginnings of what would turn out to be a sturdy build, turned toward the angry voice of one of the bending trainers. Feo-Lin was one of the earth/metalbending trainers, towering above his charges with an understanding but unyielding voice, and his determined stride was bringing him right to Roak and the young firebender whose eye he'd likely just blackened.

"What do you think you're doing? We only hit one another during practice, and even then we only do it with padding! Well? Explain yourself!" Roak's gap-toothed, self-satisfied smile fell into a scowl of confusion as he looked between his instructor and the boy sitting on the ground beginning to cry.

"He's a Fire Nation! They're the bad guys! …Aren't they?" he said, somewhat hesitantly as he saw confusion and sadness sweep across his mentor's face.

Feo-Lin motioned for one of the other aids to tend to the crying boy as he knelt down to be on eyelevel with his violent young charge, "Roak, that might have been true a long, long time ago but now… now he's just someone else, just another little boy like you. Probably missing home and trying to make it until the Avatar is found." Seeing the boy's uncertainty, he reached down to the ground to pick up some loose stones and sand. "Look, see how these look different from one-another?"

Roak nodded. Foe-Lin threw them up into the air and in one fluid motion rose into a striking stance, thrust forward his fist in a strike, and sent the bits of earth flying into one of the target dummies ten yards away. "They're different, but the same. Do you understand?"

Roak blinked, his tongue exploring one of the fairly recent gaps made by his disappearing baby teeth, following the bending display. "Y-yeah. They're not the same but it doesn't matter!" He

paused at that and slowly said "Like that Fire Nation kid…"

"Like that firebender," Feo-Lin corrected gently, "Yes, exactly. Now, let me show you how to use these different things together…" he said as he steered the child towards a small field of stones, no two of the same type or size.

Aaaaaaaaand
Done!

Also: I'm willing to edit to female if that's the preference from the mods/GMs.

Sir Bastian

Christina - Crossroads
Years
Alright, so, announcement time!

We have, officially, picked our earthbender RP'er. And the spot goes to Lumbah! All three of you made really nice SUs, but we feel Lumbah's character fits better with the synergy of the group. Sorry to Genevieve and Crush for not getting in, despite your very interesting characters and nice backstory. I wish we could take more in, but alas :(

So, grats to Lumbah and an apology to the others. Save the SU though, we might need you later down the line, in case something happens :P

Back