• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: Allow Edit To "Person"

Years
Ok, time for another one of my wonderful suggestions that I never seem to get any positive feedback on xD

I wanted to suggest the addition of a feature to allow certain people to edit your post.

This popped into my mind when I was thinking about how people Co-Hosted Pokemon Clubs if only one person could edit the Club (Yes I know the answer ;p)
So, this is one way this feature could be helpful, for people who Co-Host a club, and they want all the owners to be able to edit the Club Opening Post.

Other than that I'm sure this could come in handy sometime, somewhere, maybe you guys have some ideas on other uses for it, but the only con I can see right now is that people might abuse it/be careless and things could get crazy and people get mad cuz such and such changed my thread in a way I don't like...blah...blah...blah, but this can be avoided if you have to get mod approval. I'm not sure if "mod approval needed" is possible, but that would solve the possible whining/problem I quoted earlier.
So guys, please put your thought into this, thanks :3

Pppgggr

Cheese, for everyone!
Years
It'd work better if the original creator of the thread could list who they wanted to give editing abilities to. When creating a thread, there could be a small line at the bottom where you could input names separated by commas.

Years
It'd work better if the original creator of the thread could list who they wanted to give editing abilities to. When creating a thread, there could be a small line at the bottom where you could input names separated by commas.

Well yes, this is exactly what I am trying to express.

droomph

weeb
Years
I think a good way is to have a list, and the owner can at any time choose who can edit their posts, apart from staff who already have that power :P So that way the abuse can be capped (as you can access edits as a backup just in case they start abusing) easily.

...yeah, it's a good idea!

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I like this idea. I think it would be incredibly handy in cases such as clubs where a thread may have multiple owners who may need to edit the opening post but are unable to because another posted it. I think it would work wonders in sections such as Pokemon Clubs, Other Clubs, Get Together boards, and competitions that may be held and managed by more than one member in a certain section.

Although, as you said, there is the problem with unwanted editing/trolling. But I suppose this can be restricted by giving the owner of the opening post the ability to add or remove people in which can edit it. Plus, it would be only common sense to save a back up of any thread just in case anything does happen -- plus I'm sure if an issue were to arise where a member has deleted or unnecessarily edited a thread, it could be brought up to that section's moderator...

Hmm, the only tricky thing is, I can see a lot of issues generating from this. But it's a handy feature if implemented anyway.

Years
Spoiler:
What kind of problems could it have? Do you mean problems in the coding? Or something else?
Personally, I don't think I would have too many problems with people trollin' my threads if I know who I'm adding to the list of people who can edit my post. Chances are, the peope I share clubs with, or make events with, will be people I actually know enough to know that they are to be trusted, and if they aren't to be trusted, I'm not going to work with them, it's as simple as that :\

If other people have any common sense they shouldn't have problems with people trolling them, in reality!

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
What kind of problems could it have? Do you mean problems in the coding? Or something else?

I mean issues such as fighting over editing permissions, the unwanted editing from others, possible deletion etc.

Personally, I don't think I would have too many problems with people trollin' my threads if I know who I'm adding to the list of people who can edit my post. Chances are, the peope I share clubs with, or make events with, will be people I actually know enough to know that they are to be trusted, and if they aren't to be trusted, I'm not going to work with them, it's as simple as that :\

Touche.

However, you may have a relatively good sense of judgement, but that doesn't mean everyone does. Some might allow others to edit a post in which they don't necessarily get a long with, but are mere acquaintances.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Yeah, permissions is one thing. You'd need a separate usergroup for every member to have power in a different section. I don't even know if it is possible to allow a user to have a power over a specific thread; I suspect the only way if possible is to code an addon and that seems a lot of work for something that imo isn't really necessary. (Going what I know of admin options with vB which I've played around with in the past, so someone else can correct me on that. =p But basically such permissions are section based, not thread-specific, so there's a major issue right off the bat.).

I say 'isn't really necessary' because if the club owner is really too inactive to update the first post but someone else wants to maintain the thread, they can ask a mod of the section (or an smod/higher) to either update the changes for them, or they can ask to remake the club so they have the opening post.

I also wonder how many people would really benefit as well. You mention cases where people co-own a club, but if they co-own I imagine one of them would be active anyway, and the first two posts could always be used, one per person. This might also apply in trade shops maybe, and... I don't see anything else that might be anywhere near the usual case. I don't know of many active co-hosted clubs after all.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
I personally don't see a use for this outside of clubs and honestly is it really that important that first posts are updated so quickly? Just wait for the owner, the moderator(s), or a higher staff member to come online. If it's easy to implement then... alright, I guess, but it probably isn't worth the work it'd take. I just don't think it's got a very wide range of uses - I think I've wanted it during my time on forums and stuff, which has been a fair few years now, once. And I just asked a mod to help me out and it was sorted within an hour or two.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Actually, Alex and I already thought of this, although it turned out not be possible at the moment, with any kind of plugin or w/e being programmed, which obviously would take some time and effort, which honestly I don't think we should pressure any of the programmers with, specifically Audy who'd probably be the person asked to do this if it actually meant enough. So yeah, even though it would've been pretty neat to have in the clubs sections, it just isn't really needed enough imo.

Furthermore, the updating of clubs isn't really that important either in most cases, as it doesn't really mean much to the clubs, however the reason why this would help out a lot in some clubs, is due to a few of them having the points and rewards systems. A fun little extra feature in clubs where, depending on your activity, quality of posts, etc., you gain points, which can later be spent on rewards, like shiny or extra partner Pokemon in the clubs, or whatever they include, and though fun for the members, it's extremely boring and tiresome to check through the posts and updating the members with the points, which I can imagine would be horrible for the bigger clubs like Cute Club was its time. This is also the reason why most clubs that start out with the systems often end up removing them again. Aaand, this is kinda where the whole thing would come in handy, because more people to count up the points, edit the stuff for rewards and such in the member lists, while still adding new members to the list makes everything a whole lot easier, and can make co-owned clubs feel more.. co-owned. But alas, if an owner don't want to do this stuff, they don't have to include it, so again, this feature isn't really that needed, as much as it'd just make clubs easier to maintain for those that decide to have overly complicated features.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I do love the idea! But with the way vB is, seems like it can't really be done :( You're on the right track though, don't get discouraged because this really is a good idea, haha.

Cosmotone8

silhouette of the past
Years
I also wonder how many people would really benefit as well. You mention cases where people co-own a club, but if they co-own I imagine one of them would be active anyway, and the first two posts could always be used, one per person. This might also apply in trade shops maybe, and... I don't see anything else that might be anywhere near the usual case. I don't know of many active co-hosted clubs after all.
I also know that this may come in handy for some hacking teams. I know for my (now dead) hack when I went inactive for a couple days I'd have a couple of PMs asking me to update the page.
And what Olli said about the points thing. I hated doing that as a club owner. >.>

lloebet

[color=#58FAD0][font=geo][u][i]Ancient[/i][/u][/fo
Years
Sadly the server of which PC resides on dosen't allow this possible. Unless you wanna give some server hamsters super powers. It is a good idea and i don't think "trolling" would be an issue because the owner would only give this power to people trusted and can be taken away at the sign of distrust.

Years
Yeah I can see this being very useful. Not only for clubs, but for contests with multiple hosts, ROM Hacks or games with multiple creators, RPG "hosts", Get-Together planning, etc. I'd love to see it implemented.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I'd like to add that the Roleplay Corner would also benefit from such a feature.

Many RPs have several leaders but only one can create and edit the first post in a thread. If the other was given editing powers to the first post - where information is often stored and changed as the RP progresses - things would certainly go smoother.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
If this is something a lot of people would really make use of, it wouldn't be too hard for us to implement.

If this is the case then it would be incredibly useful for co-owners in clubs, so I'd definitely support the addition. We've been looking for ways around the co-owning issue for a long time but methods like having two OPs don't really work for clubs as the content doesn't really split well into two posts and one owner would always get a much more important section of it, so people have pretty much given up trying to co-own them at the moment since it's simply not practical. I figured it was a matter of "Can't happen" based on responses in the past so didn't bring it up again, but if it's doable then it would be very appreciated. The reasons have pretty much been explained above by everyone else so I won't repeat them, but I'm a big supporter.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Okay, I'll start working on it soon in that case. :]

Forums like ROM Hacking and Game Development are going to get a facelift soon that are going to make this change unnecessary for them, but apart from them, which forums would need it? Obviously clubs, roleplaying... anything else anyone can think of? It's 5am and I'm suddenly brain dead. Definitely bed time.

Anything can be done if you give me enough caffeine. XD;

XD;

Trade Corner for shops? That's the only other potential one that I saw at a glance.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Probably not trade corner, because in joint shops, each owner has a different set of posts that they put their Pokemon and such in, and unless everyone wanted to change that to put all the owners' Pokemon in the first post, then I don't see it being useful. That'd be way too cluttered imo.

I do gotta say that this idea is quite nice! :)

Back