• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen What attacks should Unova Pokemon learn, but didn't?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Kay this time I'm reviving this fun thread! Should get discussion going maaaybe?? Also as I posted earlier, try not to make your posts overly centered on Gothitelle like last time (from the OP). Discuss n_n

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I wish Lilligant had gotten more coverage moves, like perhaps Psychic. She can have Dream Eater, which is a Psychic type move, but not Psychic? And there are far stranger Pokemon that can learn it, so why not give it to Lilligant? It'd be nice to have considering her moveset is mainly just grass everywhere.

Cinnabar

Fenniken is godly.
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 12, 2013
I honestly thought that Beartic should've had Close Combat, I mean, it just looks like it should. It has the atk. to abuse it as well.

Esoj

Ekruum Fortrez
Years
  • Age 31
  • PR
  • Seen Jul 9, 2015
Close Combat is a nice attack regardless of the secondary effect. I think that Scrafty would be complete with it in the moveset, that can surely make it more combative.

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
I only recently learned about the move Shell Smash and thought, dang, I could've had a pretty awesome water Pokemon had I chose Samurott. I find out that line doesn't even learn Shell Smash. So confused. The whole Oshawott family is based off of a sea shell. ;P

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I only recently learned about the move Shell Smash and thought, dang, I could've had a pretty awesome water Pokemon had I chose Samurott. I find out that line doesn't even learn Shell Smash. So confused. The whole Oshawott family is based off of a sea shell. ;P

omg, it so would not be a NU mon if it had SS (or maybe...?) idk, it can do more than Gorebyss in terms of going both physical/special so I think SS would defs make it more powerful/more liked. It'd have to be a learn at like, level 3 move or something though because that'd make it really strong lol :x

Close Combat is a nice attack regardless of the secondary effect. I think that Scrafty would be complete with it in the moveset, that can surely make it more combative.

I think it'd make it too close to Sawk really. I like that it has HJK instead, because otherwise it might be too strong (although still easily revenged).

I wish Lilligant had gotten more coverage moves, like perhaps Psychic. She can have Dream Eater, which is a Psychic type move, but not Psychic? And there are far stranger Pokemon that can learn it, so why not give it to Lilligant? It'd be nice to have considering her moveset is mainly just grass everywhere.

idk more Bug type moves would make sense considering where it is, maybe fire too considering it is a Chlorophyll user???

Years
I'd probably agree with Sydian here.

Lilligant needs more non-Grass moves in her moveset, aside from Dream Eater and Hidden Power. A move like Psychic could really help add extra coverage and I'd also give her counterpart Whimsicott more offensive moves too.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I'd keep Whimsicott as it is really. I think it's main role by GF was to be a Prankster and really more offensive attacks won't really help it given it is quite frail in the first place.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
I think it'd make it too close to Sawk really. I like that it has HJK instead, because otherwise it might be too strong (although still easily revenged).
I'm just the opposite. I don't like that it gets HJK - I see that as a move for fast, fragile fighters like Mienshao, which is exactly the opposite of Scrafty, while CC seems a move meant for low-down, nasty, get-right-in-your-face-no-matter-what brawlers, which is exactly what Scrafty seems meant to be. Granted though, CC would just make it that much tougher. I actually think that the perfect fighting move for Scrafty is Low Kick, which is undoubtedly why that's its level 1 attack. Just a shame that it's not competitively useful, since it fits its personality, and design, perfectly.

I mention this every time I see a thread like this - I think that Ferrothorn should learn Taunt, just because I can't think of another pokemon anywhere in any of the dexes who would be more likely to say, "C'mon! Stop futzing around with those status moves and HIT ME!"

How about Lilligant getting Aurora Beam? At first thought, it seems sort of weird for a Grass type (other than Abomasnow) to get an Ice move, but I sort of like the concept for Lilligant. It somehow fits with the man-eating southern belle persona I've ended up presuming for her - when appropriate, instead of seducing them with her dances and powders or tripping them up with her grass knot, she'd unleash her icy glare. It'd still leave some holes in her coverage (steel and fire, specifically), but it'd help, and I just sort of like the concept. It'd be something different.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I'm just the opposite. I don't like that it gets HJK - I see that as a move for fast, fragile fighters like Mienshao, which is exactly the opposite of Scrafty, while CC seems a move meant for low-down, nasty, get-right-in-your-face-no-matter-what brawlers, which is exactly what Scrafty seems meant to be. Granted though, CC would just make it that much tougher. I actually think that the perfect fighting move for Scrafty is Low Kick, which is undoubtedly why that's its level 1 attack. Just a shame that it's not competitively useful, since it fits its personality, and design, perfectly.

I mention this every time I see a thread like this - I think that Ferrothorn should learn Taunt, just because I can't think of another pokemon anywhere in any of the dexes who would be more likely to say, "C'mon! Stop futzing around with those status moves and HIT ME!"

How about Lilligant getting Aurora Beam? At first thought, it seems sort of weird for a Grass type (other than Abomasnow) to get an Ice move, but I sort of like the concept for Lilligant. It somehow fits with the man-eating southern belle persona I've ended up presuming for her - when appropriate, instead of seducing them with her dances and powders or tripping them up with her grass knot, she'd unleash her icy glare. It'd still leave some holes in her coverage (steel and fire, specifically), but it'd help, and I just sort of like the concept. It'd be something different.

Still, it needs kicking moves because its selling point is its legs and pants really, which is what HJK is for. I don't think it's really that... evil, which is what CC implies. While it does have a dark typing it's more of neutrally evil and doesn't really care if it hits you, while still tries anyway - which is what HJK does.

Ya I agree. But it's still kind of too slow to be useful in many cases and most wouldn't opt for Taunt really.

ooo that'd be nice, mainly because I just like the move itself. :3

Years
  • Seen Mar 8, 2013
I thonl deerling should learn high jump kick i mean if it can learn jump kick then why not high jump kick

Posted from Pokecommunity.com App for Android

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Serperior: Power Whip, Nature Power, Rock Slide, Brick Break, Focus Blast
Emboar: Dragon Dance, Dragon Claw, Shadow Claw, Outrage
Samurott: Drill Run
Mushrana: Focus Blast
Unfezant: Wing Attack, Brave Bird
Zebstrika: Jump Kick
Seismitoad: Waterfall
Leavanny: Rock Slide
Lilligant: Surf, Focus Blast
Cofagrigus: Thunderbolt, Rock Gem, Focus Blast
Gothitelle: Dark Pulse, Focus Blast
Swanna: Drill Peck, Waterfall, Drill Run
Vanilluxe: Surf, Hydro Pump, Ancientpower
Sawsbuck: Rock Slide
Escaliver: Drill Run
Eelektross: Scald
Beartic: Waterfall, Earthquake
Accelgor: Hydro Pump
Stunfisk: Ice Beam
Druddigon: Rock Polish
Heatmor: Scald
Keldeo: Ice Beam

Esoj

Ekruum Fortrez
Years
  • Age 31
  • PR
  • Seen Jul 9, 2015
Getting back to Scarfty's moves, I agree with the selling part, which justifies the use of HJK, as well as other kicking moves, and the move (HJK) suits nice for it because of its legs combat style and also great defenses to give backup if the 10% risk arises. Idk, but Scrafty's dark coverage still needing more moves, there could exist another move beside Crunch to have more variety. Would be nice to imagine CC based on its legs, an exhaustive legs combat to the very end, and it count with the defenses to support the secondary effects.

Cid

Years
Earthquake for all three final evos of starters was all I wanted to be honest. :( They were the exception among all final evos of each gen's starters. Seriously I don't know how they missed that, unless it was intentional which sounds really odd. :\

I can't really recall any more notable moves that they should have made some 'mons learn in BW but yeah, I'm really frustrated at the starters (actually at GF) for the reason stated above. Plus pure Grass-types deserve more coverage moves like Sydian said! For Lilligant and Serperior especially. They gave coverage to previous gens' pure Grass-types, why not now?

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Earthquake for all three final evos of starters was all I wanted to be honest. :( They were the exception among all final evos of each gen's starters. Seriously I don't know how they missed that, unless it was intentional which sounds really odd. :\

I can't really recall any more notable moves that they should have made some 'mons learn in BW but yeah, I'm really frustrated at the starters (actually at GF) for the reason stated above. Plus pure Grass-types deserve more coverage moves like Sydian said! For Lilligant and Serperior especially. They gave coverage to previous gens' pure Grass-types, why not now?

I believe the reason why is because it's suppose to be a throwback to the original R/B/Y games where all the starters, except for the Fire starter, lack the move Earthquake (B/W was suppose to be a reboot after all). As for the statement about previous gen pure Grass types given coverage, they mean nothing if they do not have Rock Slide, Nature Power, Natural Gift, Weather Ball, Ancientpower, Focus Blast, or Earth Power to coverage almost all of their weaknesses, which is a necessity to make a good Pokemon.

Esoj

Ekruum Fortrez
Years
  • Age 31
  • PR
  • Seen Jul 9, 2015
Talking about the grass type's moves coverage, I suffered from the same ill, Serperior and its lack of different coverages. Although they can learn different and now-attractive moves via tutor, I was wondering, why none of my favorite TMs suit it to complete the moveset? I was expecting something like Stone Edge, and agreeing with Cid, Earthquake.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Talking about the grass type's moves coverage, I suffered from the same ill, Serperior and its lack of different coverages. Although they can learn different and now-attractive moves via tutor, I was wondering, why none of my favorite TMs suit it to complete the moveset? I was expecting something like Stone Edge, and agreeing with Cid, Earthquake.

Stone Edge just seems strange for a snake to use honestly. I'm not sure how it'd manage that lol.

I believe the reason why is because it's suppose to be a throwback to the original R/B/Y games where all the starters, except for the Fire starter, lack the move Earthquake (B/W was suppose to be a reboot after all). As for the statement about previous gen pure Grass types given coverage, they mean nothing if they do not have Rock Slide, Nature Power, Natural Gift, Weather Ball, Ancientpower, Focus Blast, or Earth Power to coverage almost all of their weaknesses, which is a necessity to make a good Pokemon.

Not really as long as they have coverage moves in general then they're good. Such as Terrakion doesn't have anything to counter/check ground moves but instead uses all out power!

Wait wat, Emboar doesn't have EQ?? I could've sworn it did...

Nevertheless not sure how a snake or an otter could really shake the ground lol.

Esoj

Ekruum Fortrez
Years
  • Age 31
  • PR
  • Seen Jul 9, 2015
Can seem somewhat difficult to figure at the first moment, but it's a snake. They move from a place to another crawling on the surfaces and they have full contact with the floor. They use caves made of stone to make their nests what recall a connection with the stones.
Pardon me, I know this pokemon is out of topic, but serves as a good example. Machamp have flame sacs? A wrestler, human-like pokemon throwing fire from its mouth? I know that is very useful, but seems very strange.

Last edited:

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Not really as long as they have coverage moves in general then they're good. Such as Terrakion doesn't have anything to counter/check ground moves but instead uses all out power!

Yet Smogon recommends Hidden Power even for Pokemon with decent coverage moves, and they're mostly types used to cover their weaknesses.

Wait wat, Emboar doesn't have EQ?? I could've sworn it did...

It does learn EQ.

Nevertheless not sure how a snake or an otter could really shake the ground lol.

Seviper and Arbok know EQ, so why not Serperior?

Back