• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How long...?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
How long can you generally go without anyone talking to you?

By that, let's assume that you spend all your free time isolated from everyone. You're in a cabin in the woods, for instance. Eventually, the lack of communication (or in your case, since you don't have any plans to be living in a cabin in the woods alone) from friends and family will start to bother even the most independent, self-reliant people emotionally. How long until that happens?

In the most simplest examples: you don't get texts, IMs, tweets, posts, VMs, etc. from anyone from the point in time that you've read this post until the timeframe you specify it starts to affect you.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
I don't enjoy not speaking with others, but at the same time I can't say I could stay secluded forever, though I feel mankind will always come together in some form or fashion or so one could never permanently be isolated. I'm not sure how long I could go without speaking to someone, because I can go weeks without texting or using social networking, but within that time frame I speak with family and friends physically.

Without actually experiencing an extended length of time without social interaction I don't think I could even theoretically gauge any span of time.

von Weltschmerz

the first born unicorn
Years
  • Seen Feb 18, 2013
Are... you serious?! This is my DREAM. I already have a strong dose of cynicism, so why not be a fringe living misanthrope?? Hell, if I am left alone I can grow a **** ton of pot up by that cabin--and then what else do I need?!

My life would honestly be set if no one could bother me. I could be a reclusive hermit in the mountains... but that's not the same. As soon as I start doing something someone doesn't like, they'll come to screw with me. And then Id have to freak out on them...

I don't know how long it'd take. It'd take a very long time. Or I'd snap so hard that my insanity would be the only thing keeping me sane.

O.e however that works...

outfox

in
Years
  • Seen Feb 25, 2013
I undergo the eremetic lifestyle twice a year as a religious practice. I call it "social fasting," and it can last for months if I feel inclined to keep it up. It's as spiritually enriching as meditation, and it's a nice excuse to get out of conversation with :x

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
I don't really know. I generally am fine with not talking to people in real life...but online is another matter.

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
I can stand not talking to people.I usually do it every day.

But as Slenderman said i need teh internetz.

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
I've spent a lot of time in isolation, but yeah that doesn't exactly mean I can handle no social interactions well. I give myself a couple days before I start making sock puppetsfeel deprived.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
Less than a day, Id feel so lonely and Im terrified of the feeling of being totally alone.

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
Fifteen minutes and no one chats me on Facebook, I start to feel lonely. Thirty minutes and I don't get a Notification here on PC, I start to ask myself why. Forty-five minutes and I don't get a text, I start to text others. One hour and no one talks to me, I panic.

Tetrakeet

Lilligant's Caretaker
Years
Since it's practically impossible to test this theory, I cannot give a real time estimation.

I don't mind being alone though, I like it. Unless I meet someone that I really really get along with, I normally will prefer solitude. Not sure if animals count, but I do love my pet's company. ^_^

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
Probably forever. I remember saying something to the effect of me not needing a lot of interactivity in another poll, as I'm perfectly capable of entertaining myself, and frankly, would enjoy living somewhere where I'm only responsible for myself and do not have to answer to anyone.

As a person who likes to create things, though? I like to share stuff with people, and that kills any theories of living in isolation.

Honest

Hi!
Years
Really hard to imagine myself not talking to other in any circumstance, honestly. I'm the chatty type, and even if I wasn't I always ask other people for help or advice and stuff of that nature. Also, being alone is very depressing for me. I'd end up going insane and talking to myself.

Long story short, I'd make a terrible hermit.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
It's become less and less recently. I used to love being alone and could go for days of near solitude, but now I've become more social and I actually start to feel a little anxious if people don't talk to me for a while. That's when I'll contact them and see what they're up to.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I have actually gone a while without speaking to anyone and shutting people out completely. I seriously went days without even speaking to anyone. I was also terrified of anyone speaking to me. I never want to go back to that, and since I've been in that place of no communication, I think it would really bother me to go back to it and have no contact with anyone. Could do it then, but not now. I would never want to. It's painful.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
I can go up to a day without speaking to anyone, which happens anytime I have a new Video Game/Talli tales/Grand Master tales/Salli the dragon to play/write chapter.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
IRL I could go days idm if people don't talk to me it'd be a nice break but it's unlikely.

However online I can't even go like 20 minutes without Frizy it's crazy. Sooooo nope wouldn't last very long. I NEED human contact of some sort or I go crazy. :(

Back