• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Okay, I won't lie, the SAO RP is going to be... kind of big. xD Even by "my" standards? o3o'

So um, if anyone wants to Co-host it with me, that'd be cool. :3
..Not to say I can't host it alone, but Co-Hosting might be easier to maintain. xD

Last edited:

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
Sadly, it looks as if Sacred Fire/Divine Water may have died.

I feel as if we should do something to prevent people from joining an RP they don't plan on staying with, or keep people from those sudden "dying" habits in which they are offline and away from PC for over a month.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Unfortunately, the majority of us are like...swamped with schoolwork right now, that's why many of the roleplays are experiencing inactivity.

I'm...also lacking activity here as well. And it's not just schoolwork that's affecting me :S

Greiger

A mad mind... hehe
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 1, 2023
Same here, my classes have tons of reading to do as well as assignments galore so I really can only keep up with a few rps right now, hence why I am not submitting either of the two rps I have ready at the moment.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
@WolfOfEve: The simple answer is you can't. That's the RPers responsibility. You can ask them not to join if they can't handle it, but that still leaves it in their hands with no way of verifying. Random RPers earnestly can't be trusted to make their RPs an obligation. If you try, you will wind up disappointed. Even good RPers have a tendency to just... fail to predict exactly what they can handle. It's kind of hard.

If people are not posting, you should contact the people who are not posting directly and find out what is going on. (And I don't mean via an OOC thread. That is not direct. Use VMs or PMs) If they aren't going to post, find out who is willing and make it work with who you have left.

An RP cannot start with the same members and end with the same members... unless... it's really dang short. You need to be ready to move on without or even replace members who simply aren't there anymore in order to preserve the life of a roleplay.

Perhaps most importantly, under no condition should you wait weeks to do this. If you wait weeks to deal with inactivity you've made the problem worse in the process and may have, in fact, killed your own roleplay for no good reasons. You are not nagging your RPers when you ask them if there's something wrong keeping them from the RP. That's just standard communication.

Remember. RPing is just a hobby. If someone signs up for a school sports team you own, and they just don't show up (And don't talk to you about it and reach an agreement otherwise). Are you going to sit there and wait for them? Go one man down? I don't think so. Same principle. An RPer has no more right to a spot in an RP they aren't participating in than an athlete does to a sports team they aren't participating in.

It's up to you to decide exactly how long to wait before asking someone. The only correct answer is "Not too long". Obviously, being too harsh is also not healthy for an RP. I personally follow a 3-day rule for personal situations, and a one week rule for impersonal situations. (Meaning, if I'm not directly RPing with someone, I'm less strict, because the people they're RPing might not care as much as I might.)

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
@WolfOfEve: The simple answer is you can't. That's the RPers responsibility. You can ask them not to join if they can't handle it, but that still leaves it in their hands with no way of verifying. Random RPers earnestly can't be trusted to make their RPs an obligation. If you try, you will wind up disappointed. Even good RPers have a tendency to just... fail to predict exactly what they can handle. It's kind of hard.

If people are not posting, you should contact the people who are not posting directly and find out what is going on. (And I don't mean via an OOC thread. That is not direct. Use VMs or PMs) If they aren't going to post, find out who is willing and make it work with who you have left.

An RP cannot start with the same members and end with the same members... unless... it's really dang short. You need to be ready to move on without or even replace members who simply aren't there anymore in order to preserve the life of a roleplay.

Perhaps most importantly, under no condition should you wait weeks to do this. If you wait weeks to deal with inactivity you've made the problem worse in the process and may have, in fact, killed your own roleplay for no good reasons. You are not nagging your RPers when you ask them if there's something wrong keeping them from the RP. That's just standard communication.

Remember. RPing is just a hobby. If someone signs up for a school sports team you own, and they just don't show up (And don't talk to you about it and reach an agreement otherwise). Are you going to sit there and wait for them? Go one man down? I don't think so. Same principle. An RPer has no more right to a spot in an RP they aren't participating in than an athlete does to a sports team they aren't participating in.

It's up to you to decide exactly how long to wait before asking someone. The only correct answer is "Not too long". Obviously, being too harsh is also not healthy for an RP. I personally follow a 3-day rule for personal situations, and a one week rule for impersonal situations. (Meaning, if I'm not directly RPing with someone, I'm less strict, because the people they're RPing might not care as much as I might.)

I was considering something along these lines... That's enough to give it a chance.

SylveonStar

Sylveon
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 15, 2017
So I have a question for everyone.

Do you tend to rp as character that are the same as your own gender? Or do you tend to play the opposite?

I myself tend to have mainly female characters, for me it's easier to write them since I know how girls think, I have one male character and honestly he is the hardest to write with

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024

When it comes to RPs where I'm the GM, I usually let a week pass by before I'm starting to get annoyed with a player who is not posting. Even when I'm really busy, one post in one week is the very least I want to make in order to not forget in what situation my character was.

And it's a bit pessimistic to say that a RP never ends with the same RPers it started with. Some might :3 but not ones spanning years or so; we've seen that and know it to be true, sadly. I intend to let Checkmate move on with the same players for as long as possible, though :D

Years
  • Age 30
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
Yeah, Pandora hasn't really been getting anywhere very lately. That being said, I've been hardly active, working on university stuff.

Do you tend to rp as character that are the same as your own gender? Or do you tend to play the opposite?
I like to mix it up. Boys are a lot more fun because a lot of boys never like to show their true emotions in front of people, which adds extra dramamama. And girls show emotion a lot so dramamamammamamasldkmakdmsakjdaks

Lt. Col. Fantastic

The Arianator
Years
On the subject of genders...

I usually tend to play males, as I find them easier to get into. Occasionally I will play girls if I'm feeling extra feminine that day.

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
Occasionally I will play girls if I'm feeling extra feminine that day.

... Prepare to have your sexuality questioned. KIDDINGSHOT

__

I have created probably an equal number of male and female characters. I do my best to be diverse and I feel proud if I can create believable characters in either sex.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I honestly don't know if I'm actually good or bad when I play as male characters :p But most of the time I actually think it's more fun playing as a male. I've played as both countless times now and perhaps I have a history of a slightly higher number of male than female characters, but that might just be because I think more of my male characters are memorable and unique, than my female ones.

If you couldn't guess my gender from that, have some coffee and try again.

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
I honestly don't know if I'm actually good or bad when I play as male characters :p But most of the time I actually think it's more fun playing as a male. I've played as both countless times now and perhaps I have a history of a slightly higher number of male than female characters, but that might just be because I think more of my male characters are memorable and unique, than my female ones.

If you couldn't guess my gender from that, have some coffee and try again.

Shhh, Red's, don't tell anyone!

drunk ¬_¬

Koga Bunshin no Jutsu!
Years
Interest Check

Have you guys seen NBC's new drama Revolution? If not, don't worry, you're not missing out…

Anyway, despite the fact that I didn't like the show's pilot itself, I did find the show's premise to be pretty interesting (in a "this doesn't make any sense" kind of way).

The series is set in a post-apocalyptic world caused by the sudden malfunctioning of anything that uses electricity, and despite the fact that that is not believable to any degree, I figure that it could happen in the Pokémon world. This brings us to the concept I've been fiddling around with for a while: Pokémon Revolution: Divine Punishment

The plot of the RP would basically be:
  1. Arceus is pissed so he obtains the Electric plate to make man-made electrical appliances malfunction (including your Poké Balls)
  2. This causes the downfall of society (same as in the series)
  3. Wild Pokémon (still as aggresive as always) begin to 'reclaim' the world at the expense of human lives
  4. Militias and other groups rise up to take control of the new world, while trainers and researchers are left to wallow that everything they once knew is gone…
  5. Except for you, who've set out to find a 'cure' for this sickness of the land
So, would people be interested in a RP like this?

And if so, where should it take place (region-wise). I'm leaning towards Kanto-Johto, although an isolated region like Unova might make sense.

---​

As for the gender question:
I feel a lot more comfortable RPing as a male. I've RPed as girls with pretty good success (apparently). I just don't really get girls I guess, so I can't really convince myself that I do a believable job at it… (sad but true).

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Yeah, I'd be interested. From the start, the premise for the show sounded like a great idea for a movie or a game, and an RP of the idea would be nice. Having said that, I could also see it being a non-pokemon RP, there are logical ways that electronics could malfunction.

drunk ¬_¬

Koga Bunshin no Jutsu!
Years
Yeah, I'd be interested. From the start, the premise for the show sounded like a great idea for a movie or a game, and an RP of the idea would be nice. Having said that, I could also see it being a non-pokemon RP, there are logical ways that electronics could malfunction.

I agree. A large enough electro magnetic wave could basically make it happen. What doesn't make sense about the show (in my opinion) is that they can never build another damn battery. Or a solar panel. Or a freaking watermill. But yeah, that's not really the point, I'm glad you'd be interested. :)

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
@Drunk: I can't say I've ever been interested in Pokemon vs Humans. I couldn't help but immediately compare it to Pokemon Fallout, my own RP.

In Pokemon Fallout, after N's defeat in the end of Black and White, a group of scientists continue to pursue the goals of separating humans and pokemon under the guise of trying to understand the bond between humans and pokemon. They eventually create a memetic virus that breaks that bond, causing Pokemon to become disinterested and uncooperative with humans. Humans are unable to force Pokemon to do their will, since that's a physically daunting task in and of itself.

...So society starts collapsing right off the bat and Arceus eventually realizes that humanity kinda broke life and removes Pokemon altogether. Humanity dwindles into the dust over approximately 100 years, until Arceus finally shows mercy by attempting to bring Pokemon back. However, he can't bring them back in their previous form because the virus, which is as previously mentioned memetic, is still there. So he brings them back as 'spirits' that can fuse with chosen humans, resulting in a human that wields the power of a pokemon and some appearance modification to fit it. (Think, Pokemon Gijinkas, or Pokemon ReBurst.)

(Full plot below)
Spoiler:

Anyway. My question to you is, exactly how are humans supposed to remotely protect themselves against any of a zillion super creatures known for such feats as being able to generate volcanic eruptions wherever they please, wield the full spectrum of psychic powers, effortlessly ravage solid steel with their fists, generate black holes, and in turn take that same abuse used against themselves with grace?

Greiger

A mad mind... hehe
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 1, 2023
Well I mostly play male characters simply because I know how a guy thinks. :P

Anyway, to the more important thing... IT'S TALK LIKE A PIRATE DAY!!!! WHY HAS NO ONE TALKED LIKE A PIRATE YET!?

ARGH MATEYS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEBbu-wkKrs

Last edited:

Stingray

Space elves FTW
Years
On the subject of Humans vs Pokemon the only way for humans to stand a chance would be technology... Take away technology and humans will get rofl stomped.

The revolution idea I think is interesting but how would humanity survive?

Personally I've been interested in the trainer/pokemon relationship. The fact that if you look at Pokemon with a more realistic view Pokemon trainers are cruel and sadistic monsters who force animals to fight for their amusement. Then you add in Pokemon (well at least in the cartoon) that make pokemon also intelligent (to almost a human level) it really begins to question morality of it. Could the whole Pokemon happy while only being allowed outside their ball to fight be a lie? Or perhaps that ball has some special properties (drugs) that alters the mind to promote an extreme case of Stockholm syndrome.

I almost made a RP around this idea once... Just didn't think it would stick and never got around to writing up a full story or story plan. There was more to it than just that... In the end I thought it didnt seem right for this forum... I think it would be interesting but i might be the only one.

ShinyDiamond

[b]The Other Promise[/b]
Years
So nobody's interested in my Kid Icarus RP? I need supporters to encourage me to make it. Otherwise, no RP. Besides, I'm really excited about it. Kid Icarus is my favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back