• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

General Character Discussion

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Uh, yeah, I started watching again. Just because I was being ridiculously childish when it began airing doesn't mean I stayed that way. It's really not hard to get completely caught up on a show. Hoenn is my favourite region. AG has ended up being my favourite arc with my favourite main team. May is my girl and I really really really want to see Max back as an actual legal trainer.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
It would be cool to see Max grown up as a real trainer! But considering people never age in the anime... I doubt that's likely. Only if they somehow made a new arc of some kind where Ash was older. Which most of the fanbase would love?

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
RHCP- Older characters would, IMO, make the anime a lot more tolerable. 10 year olds ruling the world kind of scares me.

And I never liked Max

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Haha, I didn't care much for Max either tbh. But he was nice in the Jirachi movie :3 Cute.

Pokémon Special anime. Hands down, that would be awesome. I can dream... Meanwhile, we'll have Ash foreveryoung.

Do you guys think Pikachu has evolved personality wise throughout the anime?

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Max should come back as the protagonist for a spinoff series and they should let him age and have that become the more teen-pandering version of the anime people want. He's probably mature a bit in the two/three years between AG and his own proper journey. <3

I think Pikachu's kind of become a more responsible version of Ash? Like their personalities have melded a bit. He used to be really sassy back in OS oh my god. Ash was a little **** too though so maybe they've both just become p bland idk.

Years
Yes Max could even come to Kalos for my taste. But Ash should be given some maturity too.
@RHCP : Pikachu has taken Ash's role model and personality. But I think he is very wise and grown up when it comes in negotiation.

Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
I doubt we'll see any older characters much at this point. The previous girls only tend to come back once in the next saga after they leave....and then they never appear again.

If Iris/Cilan leave at the end of BW, they'll be the ones to cameo in the next arc but probably nobody else.

LOL, I remember back when the DP series was airing people were sitting there waiting for Misty to show up and she never did. I guess back then people didn't realize that Misty was going to never get a real episode appearance anymore, since she stopped appearing after the Hoenn league.

Years
On the contrary, I think if there was enough demand by fans, any character would have a good chance of appearing for any given length of time. It really just depends on what their vision and goals for X and Y will look like. For the record, if they are willing to be creative, I think Misty and Brock would be wonderful additions to Ash's adventures again.
Oh, and hi Scott.

Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
On the contrary, I think if there was enough demand by fans, any character would have a good chance of appearing for any given length of time. It really just depends on what their vision and goals for X and Y will look like. For the record, if they are willing to be creative, I think Misty and Brock would be wonderful additions to Ash's adventures again.
Oh, and hi Scott.

I don't think anyone in their sane mind seriously thinks Misty has any remote chance of being on the cast again. Not only did the writers confirm several times she would never be a main character again, but its also been 10 years and 3 generations since she left.

Especially since the only people who remotely care about her at this point is overly nostalgic 20+ year old adults who aren't the target audience.

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
Max should come back as the protagonist for a spinoff series and they should let him age and have that become the more teen-pandering version of the anime people want. He's probably mature a bit in the two/three years between AG and his own proper journey. <3

I think Pikachu's kind of become a more responsible version of Ash? Like their personalities have melded a bit. He used to be really sassy back in OS oh my god. Ash was a little **** too though so maybe they've both just become p bland idk.
I completely agree with all of this. Max having a spinoff series was always one of my favorite ideas back when I watched Advanced. Over the years, I've grown contempt for the new Ash and Pikachu for no longer resembling what they were in the Original series. Whenever I see even the slighest silliness between the 2 (Ash cuddling Pikachu at the beginning of Unova, Pikachu running into an automatic door in Sinnoh/Hoenn), I treasure it greatly.

Why can't we see Pikachu messing around with ketchup anymore? :(

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Jan 3, 2018
Like someone else mentioned before, personally i wouldn't mind Misty or Brock back to main cast either.
With Misty there was left lot of unlocked potential and unfinished things in story(like her goal of becoming water master for example,lot of unknown things about past and family)to have her develop more being interesting to see how she would interact with new characters,what new pokemon she might get seeing her further characters growth.
I miss her sarcastic, hotheaded and full of adventure personality not letting others to mess up with her with her courage, determination in fighting for the weak letting them stand up for themselves but also timid, passionate side of being weak to romance and cute, cuddly stuff making her highly vibrant and emotional character.

Sure it passed a lot of time since we saw her and she was replaced but at same time you could say writers never truly closed book on her leaving unused material left to be done more with character being replacing in way which allows to have her become infiltrated within story again. Since her goal of becoming water master, past and many things were unfinished allowing to take her forward through several directions with purpose of advancing her water career and grow stronger as trainer being promoted from her current position. Similar like many other gym leaders did like Wallace who became one of best water trainers in world(see link to Misty dream?), Fantina, Candice, Cilan and many others.

Same for Brock if he decides to become traveling doctor it would be nice to get some info on how he is doing,where his career taken him and how much improvement he made. By traveling he could consult with other more experienced doctors from other regions from who he could learn new ways of healing and pokemon treatment which could help him in future career,he could get familiar with critic situations from first hand by having to deal with injured wild or trainer pokemon being test to his abilities as doctor as opposite to everything happening in controlled environment like pokemon center is where all equipment is at your disposal. Broadening his knowledge and apply his attainment in practice.

I always thought it would be ideal thing to reunite original trio for one last season recreating their friendship and have anime go back to its origins. It would be unexpected, refreshing twist to get build up on their friendship and watch them in company go on bigger, better things as already experienced characters. That's for sure.

Dunno it might be fun for season or two to see this. *shrugs*

Years
Imma just throw out a simple question; whose job is it to determine the target audience? Whose job is it to determine what are viable sources of marketing and revenue, which may include fans of all ages? The company. And unless they state otherwise, I believe they view anybody who watches their show as an asset. The result is that past characters may very well be implemented into the show in some way if they believe it would improve business. And it is reasonable to assume that demand would affect whether or not they think that way. What they have done already, who they've done it for, it matters not. The market is constantly changing along with Pokemon. Conjecture does not decide whom Ash may or may not travel with next.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 4, 2013
Does anyone think Ash will take any previous Pokémon. We don't often see him take old Pokémon on a journey in the region they weren't caught in but it has happened. Phanphy in Kanto, Aipom in Sinnoh, Charizard in Unova and obviously Pikachu everywhere. I can see Ash taking Scraggy with him to Kalos. Scraggy is Ash's first proper egg Pokémon who has had pretty much the most development out of his Unova Pokémon despite being classed as quite young. I could easily see Ash decide to take Scraggy to train him up more because he was only recently hatched (in the Pokémon world it is probably only a month ago if he is still classed as ten after all this time). I think this would also lead to a better reception for when Iris comes to visit as she undoubtedly will if she doesn't travel with him - seeing him arrive in a region alone isn't uncommon, he did the same in Hoenn and Sinnoh. I think seeing Scraggy and Axew reunite would be quite emotional due to how close they are and it could show some great development. It would also be interesting if one of them had evolved and the other was in awe of it and they battled away from the group (we know how they like to sneak off) and the other evolved. This is what I think could happen/would be great if it happened.

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
ok so without spoiling anything for me, are the main characters for the x/y anime already confirmed? because if not id like to speculate. obviously ash and pikachu will be there but i mean the other two. if they are confirmed, just say that they are, not their names or anything.
None of the few revealed gymleaders give me the impression that they would follow around Ash. Out of the characters currently released, I think the X/Y rivals are worthy of speculation. Trevor could fill the knowledgeable role that Brock, Cilan, and Max has filled. Shauna could fill the role of the female protagonist. As for Tierno, I could imagine him providing the comic relief that the Brock/Cilan role had, which Trevor probably could not.

We've had a group of 4 in the Advanced series, however it is a stretch considering that Max wasn't technically a "trainer." Also, the fact that the Best Wishes series chose not to use Cheren/Bianca for these roles, despite also fulfilling them kinda argues against this. At no point have in-game rivals been long-term anime companions. This is really just a guess with the information revealed thus far, as opposed to my strongest guess.

Man they just showed image of Ash arriving at Kalos alone. So this shows no Iris and Cilan in Kalos...
Not necessarily. In the Advanced/DP series, Ash went to the respective regions alone, only for Brock to reunite with Ash after he met up with a new female companion.

The entire reason why the female protagonist has been changing every region is because the writers wanted at least one of main characters to be relevant to the new games. (I heard this in some interview, but I can't be bothered to find the source.) Best Wishes was even more drastic with this approach, with 2 new relevant characters instead of 1. Given the increasing pattern of the protagonists being new characters, I think this is the strongest clue that they might change.

bluelatios said:
Imma just throw out a simple question; whose job is it to determine the target audience? Whose job is it to determine what are viable sources of marketing and revenue, which may include fans of all ages? The company. And unless they state otherwise, I believe they view anybody who watches their show as an asset. The result is that past characters may very well be implemented into the show in some way if they believe it would improve business. And it is reasonable to assume that demand would affect whether or not they think that way. What they have done already, who they've done it for, it matters not. The market is constantly changing along with Pokemon. Conjecture does not decide whom Ash may or may not travel with next.
In the Advanced series, Misty made a surprise visit, both in the Master of Mirage Pokemon movie, and right before the Battle Frontier In the Diamond/Pearl series, May may a surprise visit. In the Best Wishes series, Dawn made a surprise visit, and both Dawn and Brock had their own chronicle-like episodes. Past characters have been implemented in a certain way. And this pattern for the last 3 series shows the trend that characters from only the directly previous series have made cameos, yet characters more than a series away wasn't mentioned in the slightest.

You believe that they view "anybody" who watches their show as an asset, but keep in mind that some viewer demographics outweigh others. Based on the pattern above, I believe that the writers are more concerned with stringing along the fans of the previous series than they are salvaging fans from 10 years ago.

As for your last statement, that our conjectures will not decide who Ash travels with: well, that's obvious, and I think you're missing the point of why fans like to speculate. I disagree with what you said, that what they have done in the past and for whom doesn't matter; the target audience isn't changing all-that-drastically.

The pokemon anime is very predictable, and although many of our theories will end up wrong, it's fun to say "I guessed right" when the writers do reveal what they planned.

Does anyone think Ash will take any previous Pokémon. We don't often see him take old Pokémon on a journey in the region they weren't caught in but it has happened. Phanphy in Kanto, Aipom in Sinnoh, Charizard in Unova and obviously Pikachu everywhere. I can see Ash taking Scraggy with him to Kalos. Scraggy is Ash's first proper egg Pokémon who has had pretty much the most development out of his Unova Pokémon despite being classed as quite young. I could easily see Ash decide to take Scraggy to train him up more because he was only recently hatched (in the Pokémon world it is probably only a month ago if he is still classed as ten after all this time). I think this would also lead to a better reception for when Iris comes to visit as she undoubtedly will if she doesn't travel with him - seeing him arrive in a region alone isn't uncommon, he did the same in Hoenn and Sinnoh. I think seeing Scraggy and Axew reunite would be quite emotional due to how close they are and it could show some great development. It would also be interesting if one of them had evolved and the other was in awe of it and they battled away from the group (we know how they like to sneak off) and the other evolved. This is what I think could happen/would be great if it happened.
Both Phanpy and Aipom only had the opportunity to travel with Ash in the previous series for a short period of time. Although I love Ash's Scraggy, I believe that if Ash was to bring a new pokemon with him, it would be a pokemon that he caught near the end of the series, who didn't get as much screentime as the rest. That would be a pretty cool way for the duo to evolve, though.

Last edited:
Years
I just want to be clear that I'm not disputing children are a major demographic, but I disagree with the common consensus (at least, as it is in my experience) that their importance nullifies the importance of other demographics. I'm trying to make a distinction between our perception of the target audience and the manner in which Pokemon is marketed. The latter of which is changing as viewers age and different people are introduced to Pokemon through new areas of social media and technology.

I'm saying that if Pokemon is to remain more than well off, but a leader in entertainment, they shouldn't let predictability be a non-issue. I feel like too often in these conversations, the target audience is not seen as a mere minimum goal, but treated like a safe bubble to remain indefinitely; an excuse to explain away the importance of fixing certain flaws just because kids are still watching anyway.

I think the leadership and true potential for success stems from growing in an upward spiral, building off of loyalty from all ages, much like other areas of the franchise have. And I believe that one strong method of doing that would be to give some of Ash's most well known past companions a more prominent role again. Unfortunately, all this I've talked about seems to be put into question in a lot of discussions about Pokemon anime and why things happen the way they do.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Man they just showed image of Ash arriving at Kalos alone. So this shows no Iris and Cilan in Kalos...
NOT BELIEVING THAT UNTIL IT'S DEFINITE
Give it five eps. Then I'll believe my bby isn't coming back ;;

I think it kind of depends on where they're going with it this time. Like if Ash is going to be a mentor typer again, he could very well carry along Charizard (because he's only just gotten back) and Scraggy (because like you said; he's young. And still has room for development). It's also possible that Ash will actually swap in some older captures if Kalos isn't introducing a lot of new 'mon; perhaps a few that will be gaining the fairy type? does he even have any of those lmao

also ey bluelatios i bet you could get a decent thread out of that kind of discussion if you wanted

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
I'd actually prefer Cilan and Iris joining Ash in the Kalos region. It's kinda sad seeing them go so soon and being replaced by Shauna and Clemont or whoever it ends up being. :( Hopefully they'll pull a Dawn and return for a few episodes.
As for Max and May returning, I'm not that into it. They were my least favorite supporting characters (in the anime, anyways).

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Yeah but I mean... what if Max grew up? He's supposed to be like seven in Hoenn, right, so by the age he's meant to get out training plus his AG experiences he should end up being a much more well-rounded character.

I do wish Iris and Cilan had more time. Well realistically, they had enough time, but the absolute lack of development in BW just makes them feel completely short-changed. Though Iris travelling to Kalos would be interesting as that'd introduce another dragon weakness. And probably prompt Georgia to go along as well. Cilan I can see ending up there for at least some time- sommeliers are def associated with France more than any other place. I could see him either coming to travel with Ash or meeting up with him while travelling with Burgundy because how cute would that be omg

Back