• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Completed] Pokemon Conquest - A Table Top RPG

Doccit

Pokemon Conquest Creator
Years
  • Seen Jul 15, 2022
Yes, Aron can have levitate in this game, but there is a paragraph of text in the GM section that basically says that if something is too powerful, the GM can take it away.

Because this game tries to let you play with every single pokemon, there are bound to be a lot of balance issues, so the GM has to act as a filter to stop one player from being too powerful. If your GM decided that Aron would be fine taking that ability, then it would be fine, but because he or she said that it wasn't ok, then it isn't.

I tried to mitigate the influence of super effective/not very effective anyway. Even with a 4x weakness to ground Aron would only be taking 5 extra damage at level two (I think) because the game doesn't distinguish between 4x weaknesses and 2x weaknesses.

Years
  • Seen Sep 4, 2023
Thank you very much. A levitating aron is one badass. I will look through the pdf again to find those rules and find even more unbalanced abilities combos in the game to troll with the group because we play it RAW. (rules as written) : )

Doccit

Pokemon Conquest Creator
Years
  • Seen Jul 15, 2022
Alright. Have fun! Believe it or not when I was first confronting the idea of giving abilities to more pokemon than who have them in the games, levitating Aggron was one of the examples that came up.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
Love this game if only I had someone to play with, I found a few spelling mistakes but thats okay, This is a site I am using for dice related games since gaming in general like on a computer is boring me now.

love it so much [user]Shekoa[/user] and I will probably play one day or I might play over skyp with someone :D

Doccit

Pokemon Conquest Creator
Years
  • Seen Jul 15, 2022
Good luck to you! It is always great to hear about people enjoying it. And yeah. My editing is pretty terrible.

YourFavorite

One who can't think of a title
Years
Welllll, I read through most of it and wrote down my stronger thoughts. I'm not sure how things fall on the balance side, since I haven't played it, but some things threw up red flags. So yeah. Here's the whole text dump:
Spoiler:

Doccit

Pokemon Conquest Creator
Years
  • Seen Jul 15, 2022
That is quite the list. Thank you very much for bringing it to my attention! Editing issues asside (which were surprisingly numerous, but admittedly I did rush the production a lot), your criticisms about the scope of lots of the powers and things like the shuriken vs poison strangeness were very poignant. Rather than edit the original book, because I have many very fundamental problems with the way the game is designed now, I'm going to be releasing a second edition some time this year that is going to fundamentally alter almost everything about the game.

Right now I am working on a couple of different projects. I've released an unrelated tabletop system called Casters & Conquest and am working on another called Amalgama. But after those are done with I'm going to be working the second edition of Pokemon Conquest.

Years
Ok, so I created an account here just to leave my thoughts on your game, because.... wynaut?
1. Pokemon Conquest is an amazing game on the DS and I was ecstatic to find that someone had developed a tabletop game for it. My girl and I are writing a campaign to run on this system that we will start in January because we went through the test of building a couple characters at level 10 and loved it.
2. There are very few things in this system that I am not happy with, and they aren't so major that I won't play, but I will probably houserule in my campaign.
A.) The set up of combat. I honestly don't like the no miss thing you have set up, I understand that you were trying for an emphasis on combat order, but that's no fair to someone who wants to build a tank of a character who is slow and strong, I prefer the D&D system that allows for reaction to enemy movement, and the rolling to hit.
B.) The field moves for pokemon, I broke your prereqs som many times in building my test character because It made sense for his pokemon (Sableye, ghost/dark) to have Minor Magic, which you have set as a normal type thing... for some reason. Not bashing your decisions, but some of the field move prereqs make no sense at all.
C.) Level cap at 10.... This hurts me a little. I understand that writing a system is hard, I've had my go at a PMD system and have hit a block, but that level cap feels incredibly low. Especially with a few things... like REALLY wanting more than one of the level ten player powers...
Which poses a question.
When character leveling, If i grow into a level that doesn't have a player power that I want, could I take a power that I didn't pick up from a previous level?

So with that, Thank you for making an awesome game, hope to see it continue to grow and improve.

Back