• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dual Type Moves

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
I'm going to start off by saying I'm not sure if this goes here. If it doesn't please move it to where it belongs.

Dual Type Moves
Do you think it'll happen? If so, when? Gen 6? Hoenn Remakes? Will new moves be made or will old ones be modified like Steel Wing (Steel/Flying) Muddy Water (Water/Ground), etc. I think Nintendo won't do it as it'll mess with existing stuff screwing with the long time players, etc. If they do, it'll be fun but more difficult to get a Super Effective with them. What do you guys think? Do you want them? Will they come? When?

~Sincerely
PikakittenX, devout member of the Pokecommunity

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I doubt this will ever happen.

Using your examples, Gamefreak would have to completely rework their entire battle system to incorporate something as complex as this and it leaves a lot of drawbacks.

Muddy Water...If Water/Ground typing as stated, would do x4 Damage to a Fire type due to the Fire type having weakness to both Water and Ground. It would do x8 damage to a Fire/Rock. Now this is assuming you don't Multiply further and just add the two weaknesses together. Now when immunity comes into play, Muddy Water wouldn't be able to hit Flying types. While Water is Neutral, Ground types don't effect Flying types so a new move has just been negated.

Resistances can also mess up how this works. Say you have a Grass/Poison attack, that attack would do nuetral damage to a Ground type Pokemon since it is Weak to Grass and resists Poison type attacks.

There would be too many conflictions.

Years
I agree with Xander and I might just say it probably won't happen due to the factors in resistances and weaknesses to certain types.

Like Xander said, there would be way too many conflictions.

#isthenumbersign
Years
If it did happen, strategies and stuff would change drastically. Suddenly dual-typed Pokemon might not exactly be the best choice. Also how would STAB work? With two types an attack would just be too powerful I think.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
As mentioned above, dual type moves may sound cool on paper, but very complicated to use in practice, so I don't see a reason for them to appear.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Take an example. Let's say they make an attack like Ice Jolt an ice/electric attack. And you use it against a flying type pokemon. The 2x damage from ice + another 2x damage from electric, and add that with the stab bonus from a ice/electric Pokemon. even tho that flying pokemon would be a much higher level than the ice/electric one, it would take considerable damage from the Ice Jolt.
dual type attacks sounds really cool. But as for game mechanics, it would make the game less fun to play.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I love the idea and it certainly makes sense for some moves, but it's not something I'd like to see implemented for all the reasons above. Perhaps a way around it though could be to include moves which as their secondary effect have "Also acts as Ground type" or something? So for example with a move like Scald, it could deal Water type damage but then multiply damage by 1.5x, 1x or 0.75x depending on their resistance to Fire? There's nothing saying that if moves are dual type they'd have to follow the same multipliers as the current types do, so I reckon it could work well if moves like Muddy Water or Scald have a primary type (in this case Water) with the usual multipliers, then a secondary type (Ground or Fire respectively) with smaller multipliers. It's a somewhat unnecessarily complex mechanic for them to add for something like this, but I can't imagine it working very well if the multipliers are all 2x, 4x, 0.5x, etc as like they said above, things would get chaotic.

disciplish

supreme meme machine
Years
It would get chaotic. Maybe it should be reserved for White Kyurem/ Black Kyurem and the sort? Like, Black Kyurem's sig move would be an Electric/Ice move?

Imagaine all the confusion when it comes to canceling out a move and multiplying and stuff! What about a move that was, say, Fire/Fighting hitting a Ghost type? What do we do then, does it do 0x? Or does it do 1x for the fire?

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Great idea... hypotetically...
As everyone already mentioned, it would require enormous amount of calculations how would the moves be effective against each type.
Especially, developers would have to take 0x into consideration... as moves could be non-effective + super effective against some types and that would have to be counted.

CourageHound

Trust & Courage. Nothing More
Years
It would make sense for some moves I guess, but as the others stated, to many problem in reguarding to type weaknesses, resistances, and a possible modification on the entire playstyle of battle. But something similar I would like to be implemnted would be combining moves. For example, a lucario has Close Combat and quick attack. Quick attack would provide as a catalyst move and give close combat +1 priority. Anyway maybe if there were new moves added for the specific purpose of a dual type attack I think that should be left alone. But the only pokemon I can see using that type of move would be arceus's judgement or genesect's techno buster.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
I could see this working, but without a huge revamp of the way damage is calculated, it could become OP.

My ideal way of this working would be changing the way damaged is changed because of the type of moves. I can't really think of how it would work, however, if it happened, It could possibly be the big game changer that the series has been looking for in order to sustain it's relevancy with other RPG's.

blue

gucci
Years
It would make sense for as you said the likes of Muddy Water, Steel Wing etc but it would just corrupt and complicate stuff.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
It definitely would get far too complicated. Immunities would become overpowered, STAB would be even more lethal, and Pokemon would need about five times as much HP as they already have.

We already have attacks that take into consideration Sp. Attack and Defense, so maybe some future attacks will have some unique stuff going on with their typing (and, hey, we already have attacks like Scald and Hidden Power), but not to the extent of dual-type attacks.

Vecransyh

Veteran Trainer
Years
I think this could work honestly but in a different way then what you guys are saying. I think it could work in a Double Battle, where maybe it the cost of a recharge or the need of a held item, but like, mix Blastoise's Hydro Pump with Charizard's Fire Blast. Make a Fire/Water Combination attack. Kind of like a team crossover hyper attack.

Back