• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years

Map Name: Virulian Island
Map Game: FireRed
Comments: lmao Don't remember how I thought of the name. Just and island made for fun. Not for a hack or anything.
Mapshot:
Spoiler:
Well, this is a pretty interesting map, glad to rate.
Review: First of all, I think that minibeach around the very edges is much too straight. What kind of beach is perfectly straight? It's the same with the outmost mountain, too straight. I like the tree tiles, but the ordinary FR/LG tiles (including the mountains and water) look really out of place. I like that house, it goes well with the trees, but again, all the FR/LG tiles look out of place with it. I suggest you chose either one style or another.
Last, that cave doesn't make much sense. It's a dead end! What's the point of that?
Suggestions: Pick one style or another. Make the outmost mountain and beach more natural and less straight. And do something about that dead end.

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
Years
I like those Dewford trees. =3 They look sweet.
The Dewford tree in southeast of the map looks weird. Otherwise,a very good map. 8/10
~
Map name: Dark Woods
Game: For my unnamed ruby hack.
Description: Short woods which are the habitat of many dark-type pokemon.
Spoiler:

Ignore the palette of the "pine dust". I already changed it.

Rating: 2/10
Reason: Well...I don't see how you can possibly get through the map. also, it's way too small, forests should be a lot bigger than that, and I don't like the way you used the ledges.

--------------------------------------------------------
Map name: Route E
Map game: DarkGrey (Ruby)
Credits: First post of hack thread
Comments: Whew, this map took a long time. Basically, you come out of the lower cave, and you enter again for a sidequest through the top cave (Map I posted on previous page) and also there is a daycare and some events. Yes, the rocks on that mountain are placed like that for a reason.
Maps:
Spoiler:

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
@Altaria

That maps is pretty sweet. The route itself looks very nice, and, when it comes down to it, looks pretty playable, at that. I don't particularly like the way that you've done the trees, but, since it doesn't detract from the playability, I can't really complain, either.

The playability is very wonderful. There seems to be plenty of stuff to do and explore, although it might be a little too big, and the grass patches are definitely so. Maybe you could shrink some of them so the player doesn't have as much trouble walking through them? :D Otherwise, though, a top-notch map.

One last thing, though; the lights look a bit out of place at the bottom. Maybe a shade lighter?

Poke_a_Dialga!

EXAMS TESTS AND EXAMS QAQ
Years
I like those Dewford trees. =3 They look sweet.
The Dewford tree in southeast of the map looks weird. Otherwise,a very good map. 8/10
~
Map name: Dark Woods
Game: For my unnamed ruby hack.
Description: Short woods which are the habitat of many dark-type pokemon.
Spoiler:

Ignore the palette of the "pine dust". I already changed it.
Rating: 3/10
Reason: Too many grasses :\ It seems that u'll run into a pokemon every step. Plus it's too small.... the player could hardly move! The trees don't look natural as they seem if you look at a real forest. The ledges lead to a dead end... I liked how you placed the rocks and flowers though :)
Suggestions:
Make the map bigger... separate the grass patches more... Try using the bigger trees ;)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Map Name: Route 270
Map Game: Ruby
Comments: This route is meant to be grassy since it's located in the middle of an untouched forest. To the east, it leads to a beach.
Spoiler:

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
Reviewed Map:
Map Name: Route 270
Comments: This route is meant to be grassy since it's located in the middle of an untouched forest. To the east, it leads to a beach.
Spoiler:
Review: The palette is... A little plain and old looking xD But this isn't a pal rating thread, so back to the map. I like your tall grass placement, But I think you should have the trees flipped the other way, big trees as the border and small trees as extra =P But I like the concept of teh map ^^
Suggestions: Well, besides making the palette more alive, switch the trees from small to big ones. Also fix the lining of the trees, you don't want border problems =P

Map Name: Pinewood Town
Comments: A little map I made. ^_^ It's the hometown, and yeah... Just want your guys opinions on the map. Maybe it's for a hack, maybe not. Who knows... Also who cares if I used cross generation-tiles x-x It's my map, yeesh.
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

adhdguitar

Newbie Pokémon Hacker
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2015

Comments: A little map I made. ^_^ It's the hometown, and yeah... Just want your guys opinions on the map. Maybe it's for a hack, maybe not. Who knows... Also who cares if I used cross generation-tiles x-x It's my map, yeesh.
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Review: For starters, its a nice little town. The palette is also pretty good, albeit a tad plain. I like the house on the far right, it looks pretty cool, but the purple houses are a little ugly. House and object placement is very good, and it is up to the standards of a Pokemon game.

However, it has one flaw. It is just a little too plain. Now, that may not be a bad thing if you were going for a simple looking town, but all in all, it's a slightly boring map.
7.5/10 :3

My Map:
Name: Palet Town and Route 1 Respectively
Game: FireRed
Comments:
Keep in my mind that these are reworks, and not intended to be completely original maps.
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Haz

Haz ya seen my hack?
Years
Review: For starters, its a nice little town. The palette is also pretty good, albeit a tad plain. I like the house on the far right, it looks pretty cool, but the purple houses are a little ugly. House and object placement is very good, and it is up to the standards of a Pokemon game.

However, it has one flaw. It is just a little too plain. Now, that may not be a bad thing if you were going for a simple looking town, but all in all, it's a slightly boring map.
7.5/10 :3

My Map:
Name: Palet Town and Route 1 Respectively
Game: FireRed
Comments:
Keep in my mind that these are reworks, and not intended to be completely original maps.
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

I like them, but the grass in the first one bothers me. Usually, there is never grass in a town, unless for an event or such. Beggining towns arn't ussually that big, with so little houses anyway. The mountain is a little square as well, like the tree formation, for my likeing but ovarall, it's a nice looking, and shows that you don't need a fancy rombase to spruce up your hack :)
Ovarall: 6/ 10
Suggestions: Remove the wild Pokemon grass, make it a bit smaller, add some more trees and make the mountain more natural.

As for the second one... Same general ideas. The trees are square and looks unnatural, and though the mountain looks a bit better then the other one, it still needs work. There should be no one-tile paths, such as down the right of the mountain, and there is less grass here then there was in town.
Ovarall: 5/ 10
Suggestions: More natural tree spacings, make the mountain more natural. more grass and make the mountain a bit smaller

Now, my map :)

Spoiler:

So, it's call Seasaur Port, and it's the starting town. The player arrives via the port to see his/ her mother after spending two years with their father in Kanto, and they are asked to get a Pokemon off Professor Rex. They then musy head over the mountain to get into the main region.

The cave is guarded by a policeman who deems it unstable to go in. You can't get back on the boat at the port, because Salior Sean the 'captian', crashed it after you hopped off XD

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
Spoiler:

So, it's call Seasaur Port, and it's the starting town. The player arrives via the port to see his/ her mother after spending two years with their father in Kanto, and they are asked to get a Pokemon off Professor Rex. They then musy head over the mountain to get into the main region.

The cave is guarded by a policeman who deems it unstable to go in. You can't get back on the boat at the port, because Salior Sean the 'captian', crashed it after you hopped off XD
First of all, let me say that the tiles are great. It's cool the way there's water, then a beach, then a small town near a mountain. It really flows naturally from one element to another. It has good usage of space, too. It has some tile errors near the water, but I'll give it 9/10.
Suggestions: Fix the tile errors.

Haz

Haz ya seen my hack?
Years
First of all, let me say that the tiles are great. It's cool the way there's water, then a beach, then a small town near a mountain. It really flows naturally from one element to another. It has good usage of space, too. It has some tile errors near the water, but I'll give it 9/10.
Suggestions: Fix the tile errors.

Thanks, but unfortunatly for me, the rom I was working on it with started to mess up and I had to delete it :(. I'm working on another one, and it's a shame since I had already made three maps for the hack.

Anyway's here is what WAS going to the first route, but... you know.

Spoiler:

There's meant to be another ledge near the mountian, so liek Route 1 in R/B/G/Y and FR/LG, you can hop back to town while going through hardly any grass

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
1,000th post!

Now for my own map, cant wait for the reactions after Ive crucified everyone elses, lol:
Map Name: Carved Cavern
Map Game: FireRed
Comments: The idea behind this cave was that it was carved out by an ancient river that ran through the cave, before changing course many years ago. Hence the many different ways that players could take, the dead ends and sand remaining on the ground:
Spoiler:

Review: Mm, you don't see maps like this much anymore. This reminds me of my early days of mapping. Alrighty, I'll get right to the rating.

The first error that I spotted (very quickly, mind you) was the glaring issue of playability. For a good deal of the map, the player is confined to one, maybe two tiles of walkable space. While this makes for very beautiful maps, it can be a pain in the ass when it comes time to play through the map in-game. Caves, much like water routes, actually benefit from an excess of empty space. While you don't want to leave large areas of un-featured dirt everywhere, open spaces make a map considerably more annoying (which, in my opinion, is one of the major goals in making a cave map). With outdoor routes, the player always has a good idea of where they're supposed to go because the trees shape out the possible paths. But on water routes and in caves, there are often areas with no scenery and every direction is a possibility. Though your use of dead ends and a maze-like layout certainly makes things annoying, it couldn't hurt to space things out a bit more.

Another thing that I noticed was that your dead ends aren't nearly long enough. Unfortunately, because of the nature of the GBA, the player will be informed that some of your paths are dead ends before they actually enter them. This is a problem because the whole idea behind dead ends is to frustrate the player by making them take unnecessary steps and possibly encounter an extra wild pokémon that they otherwise would have avoided. If this map is dark (Flash-usable) then this might not be such a problem but you didn't mention that in the Comments so I'm assuming that it isn't, in which case this should probably be fixed.

Other than that, there isn't a whole lot else that I can complain about. It's been a while since I've seen a mapmaker spend so much time focusing on the little details and I have to say it's a refreshing change that I could certainly get used to. Though if we're talking about details, a little trick that I like to use, and that I didn't see you use, is to have sand "dribble" over a layer or two (or three) of mountains. If you can, I think it'd be a nice touch to see some sand on those non-walkable levels.

Suggestions: Add some sand to the higher levels, add some padding to those walkways, make the dead ends a little longer. Yeah, that's all I can really think of. Keep up the excellent work!

––––––––––––––––

Map Name: N/A

Map Game: Pokémon Emerald Version

Comments: This one's different. I wanted to do something special for my 1,000th post but the only thing that I could think of (that didn't require a lot of planning) was to post a map. I noticed that I hadn't made a new map in almost a year so I wanted to see if I still had it in me. I didn't want to make just any old map, though. So I challenged myself to create a fully Nintendo-styled map. I've always liked my style of mapping because I feel like it's a nice balance between natural- and Nintendo-styled mapping but until this map, I had yet to give full-on Nintendo-styled mapping a concentrated effort. So basically, the idea behind this map was to to try to get as close to a real, Nintendo (or Game Freak, if you prefer) map as possible. In the process, I learned that Nintendo maps aren't defined by "squareness" or empty space. There's so much more to them and that's the essence that I tried to capture with this map.
If you're going to rate it, please only rate it on how accurately I emulated the Nintendo style. I only want criticism on how well I did in that regard.

Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
Mapshot:
Spoiler:
First off, I thought I'd tell you that I'd of gone in-depth more if I were able to type with both my hands. Anyway, spoilered below is all the tree shading/tile errors/area of concerns that sprung to mind whilst looking at this map:

Spoiler:

Aside from those details picked out above, this is a very nice map. The first thing that springs to mind when looking at this map, however, is that your paths are, in my opinion, way too jagged. You say you're aiming for a complete GameFreak styled map, right? Well, GameFreak's maps hardly stray out of being dead straight at all; that's definitely something you should rectify if you wish to use this mapping style.

In the part where you have that small cave, I believe that the clump of small trees behind it look out of place and could easily be substituted for the regular trees. You're going to have to match it up with a connecting map completely or you're going to find yourself with a wee few border errors.

To be honest, I'm not really liking this map. Sure it could be passed off as an official map but it's not really up to high standards previously set by yourself.

teejermiester

Minnesotan, you betcha!
Years
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Well, It looks, plain. I think that the ridges are much too straight. Try making some places jutt out or stick in. Also, try to make the paths less straight.

And what I said the first time (outloud might I add) "Why the crap is there a GYM in the first town??!?"

I don't mean to sound mean, and sorry if that came out that way. But, overall, this map is too orderly. Try mixing some stuff up a little.

Rating: 5/10

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
Map Name: N/A

Map Game: Pokémon Emerald Version

Comments: This one's different. I wanted to do something special for my 1,000th post but the only thing that I could think of (that didn't require a lot of planning) was to post a map. I noticed that I hadn't made a new map in almost a year so I wanted to see if I still had it in me. I didn't want to make just any old map, though. So I challenged myself to create a fully Nintendo-styled map. I've always liked my style of mapping because I feel like it's a nice balance between natural- and Nintendo-styled mapping but until this map, I had yet to give full-on Nintendo-styled mapping a concentrated effort. So basically, the idea behind this map was to to try to get as close to a real, Nintendo (or Game Freak, if you prefer) map as possible. In the process, I learned that Nintendo maps aren't defined by "squareness" or empty space. There's so much more to them and that's the essence that I tried to capture with this map.
If you're going to rate it, please only rate it on how accurately I emulated the Nintendo style. I only want criticism on how well I did in that regard.

Mapshot:
Spoiler:
Review: I really like this map! It's cool and really looks natural, too! You havn't left a single thing out, from the flowers too the dirt which berries grow in. I really can't find anything wrong.
Rating: 10/10

-------------------

And now, for my map:
Map name: Pallet town
Map game: Firered
Comments: I made this map to practice tileinserting and because I was bored. It's a re-mapping of pallet town.
Map:
Spoiler:

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
Reviewed Map:
Comments: I made this map to practice tileinserting and because I was bored. It's a re-mapping of pallet town.
Map:
Spoiler:
Review: Your mapping has improved much better than last time, but still, it could use some work. I still see some tile errors here and there, but not a whole lot like last time. The mountains finally line up correctly. But the way you map your trees... It's so straight. Trees don't grow in rows. Make it look more natural. Add more flowers also. And you're only using one grass tiles. Put some different grass tiles on there. That's why they're there. And it should be more like a route then a town, the way the place is mapped. Also you're gonna get border problems.

Suggestions:
Make the tree placement more random, fix tile errors, add more flowers, add more than that one certain grass tile to make more natural, fix lining of trees at the border if you don't want border problems, add a path, remove tall grass.

teejermiester

Minnesotan, you betcha!
Years
Reviewed Map:

Review: Your mapping has improved much better than last time, but still, it could use some work. I still see some tile errors here and there, but not a whole lot like last time. The mountains finally line up correctly. But the way you map your trees... It's so straight. Trees don't grow in rows. Make it look more natural. Add more flowers also. And you're only using one grass tiles. Put some different grass tiles on there. That's why they're there. And it should be more like a route then a town, the way the place is mapped. Also you're gonna get border problems.

Suggestions: Make the tree placement more random, fix tile errors, add more flowers, add more than that one certain grass tile to make more natural, fix lining of trees at the border if you don't want border problems, add a path, remove tall grass.

i'm with destiny on this one, but I like it. My only REAL problem is that you're gonna have serious border issues, so you can do one of three things:

1. Make the mountains go off the map in a place where the player won't see and make the trees line up.

2. Make the player unable to see the edges

3. (easiest way) increase all the edges by 7x5 squares, and map all of those.

Hope this helped. BTW, you have a pretty good mapping style. Keep it up!

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2014
And now, for my map:
I really like your map, although as stated above, the border is going to give you many issues, so you may want to look at doing so. Although you did say it was just practice so you probably wont feel the need to.

The path would help, of course, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it is a great map. Well done. I'd give you a 8/10.

I apologize that I couldn't quote with the map in there, as I haven't yet acquired the 15 posts necessary. I plan to post my own map once I reach that point.

Nurse Barbra

Sunday + Rain = Craptaciluar.
Years
Thanks, but unfortunatly for me, the rom I was working on it with started to mess up and I had to delete it :(. I'm working on another one, and it's a shame since I had already made three maps for the hack.

Anyway's here is what WAS going to the first route, but... you know.

Spoiler:

There's meant to be another ledge near the mountian, so liek Route 1 in R/B/G/Y and FR/LG, you can hop back to town while going through hardly any grass
Its a little too lineair/cramped.the trees could use some work pallet wise and theres 4 tile errors that i can spot.below the bottom 2 sets of stairs.the 3rd north most rock and the most northen part of the hill just below the first tree..

But You get 5 points for trying. so that makes..... 57/100....
6/10 in total
==============================
Map name: ??????????
Map Game: Pokemon Evanesce
Comments: Tiles by wesleyFG,full metal and nintendo. inserted by me.
Its supposted to be cluttered and blocky.
Spoiler:

Anselection

Malicious Mapper
Years
  • Seen Dec 20, 2011
Now, my map :)

Spoiler:

Okay, so it's been a while for me. I'm sure everyone has missed me.[/sarcasm] Anyway, as for this map, I'm gonna break it down from the bottom up.

Bottom: First thing I noticed about the water is the edges that make up the border. They're blocky. I am almost 100% positive there's a tile to round them and make them look slightly more natural.

Middle: The town itself seems set up quite nicely. I don't really have a problem with anything there. The flower placement is great. Not too much, not too little. The path seems to be made out of people who tracked wet sand from the beach and walked around town a bit, making it permanent over time. So the path is great.

Top: The mountain. Oh, the mountain. It has a great shape. Seems very natural, so that's a bonus. However, some spots on the mountain have only 1 block wide pathways. That tends to make the player feel trapped. So, that's a turn off.

All in all, a great map. I like it a whole lot. My rating for the map is a solid 8/10

Now, it's my turn. It's been quite a while since I've mapped. Or even posted on Pokecommunity for that matter, so this is the product of a late, boring night.

Map name: Random Route 1
Map base: Fire Red
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Comments: This is what I came up with tonight. The area to the left is a place for training and catching decent Pokemon after going through the hellish cave. The area to the right is the exit leading to the next route / town. Obviously, that leaves the lower area(haha) as the entrance.(Once again, haha) Give me your thoughts, comments, and ratings please. It's good to be back.

Flandre Scarlet

Free your mind.
Years
Its a little too lineair/cramped.the trees could use some work pallet wise and theres 4 tile errors that i can spot.below the bottom 2 sets of stairs.the 3rd north most rock and the most northen part of the hill just below the first tree..

But You get 5 points for trying. so that makes..... 57/100....
6/10 in total
==============================
Map name: ??????????
Map Game: Pokemon Evanesce
Comments: Tiles by wesleyFG,full metal and nintendo. inserted by me.
Its supposted to be cluttered and blocky.
Spoiler:

Hehehe, I like this map. It reminds me of the Torn World. I really like how to made some trees and other tiles go upside down, it really looks great. It looks random, and I like it alot. My rating is 9/10. :)

Poke_a_Dialga!

EXAMS TESTS AND EXAMS QAQ
Years
Now, it's my turn. It's been quite a while since I've mapped. Or even posted on Pokecommunity for that matter, so this is the product of a late, boring night.

Map name: Random Route 1
Map base: Fire Red
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Comments: This is what I came up with tonight. The area to the left is a place for training and catching decent Pokemon after going through the hellish cave. The area to the right is the exit leading to the next route / town. Obviously, that leaves the lower area(haha) as the entrance.(Once again, haha) Give me your thoughts, comments, and ratings please. It's good to be back.
Rating: 7/10
Reason: Well, rather than a training spot on the left, maybe add an event to force the player to go there? The trees are fine but try to make it more natural. It looks to me that they are more like man-planted than natural trees but that's just me. Anyways, not bad ^^
Suggestions: You may want to add more rocks on the mountains to make it even more natural ;)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Map Name: PISTAL TOWN
Comments:
I chose the small tree since it's near the sea. As you can see, the trees in the inner part of the region has bigger trees. Basicly, this is a port town with a mini-mushroom plantation at the right-bottom part of the map. Some of the trees may look un-natural because this is being a human-developed town ^^
Spoiler:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back