• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Hitmonlee or Hitmonchan ?

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
I chose Hitmonlee because I found it cooler and it suits me better considering I have more soccer boots than rugger gloves. It's design is also better then Hitmonchan methinks. In the PokéSpe manga Bruno's Hitmonlee was awesome as well. That's why I generally pick Hitmonlee.

DarkPoke001

Newfound Love For Togekiss
Years
get Hitmonchan, it can be an extremely good addition to your team, being able to make use of fire punch, ice punch and thunderpunch on this game, then after you complete it, get a Ditto and breed it with Hitmonchan to get a Tyrouge which cab then be evolved into Hitmonchan if his attack stat is higher than defense, Hitmonlee if defense stat is higher than attack, OR Hitmontop if both attacj and defense stats are equal

Orifiel

Priestess
Years
Many chose Hitmonlee. No doubt that I do too.
I just hate Hitmonchan while he throws those punches. I think kicking is better and stronger. Thus, your knee protects you and supports you. But punching has a lot of weakness and limits.

AluminiumOxide

Aka Ansirent
Years
Well Hitmonlee is great for beating strong opponent but Hitmonchan isn't bad though they both have weakness.. well Maybe they both are just same if you do math. if we + all the stat so maybe we will found the same number of both Hitmons.

Memoric

Real Eyes
Years
The fact that the elemental punches are special (GEN 3, at least) which hurts Hitmonchan's usefulness is kinda there. Hitmonlee has a ATTACK stat with some good STAB moves to boot; he takes it.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 17, 2023
I'm a fan of both. Though in all honesty, the two complete each other. A Hitmonlee is without a doubt stronger, and with EV training and breeding, he's one kickass OTK for the party. Unfortunately, I have a problem with him. I'm a huge O.T.K. abuser, so I have to be prepared for a variety of Pokemon types versus my team. I can have this epic Hitmonlee that's owns everything in its path. But come to a Pokemon not affected by fighting type moves... He's in trouble. You have to switch him out for another in your party, which means your next Pokemon suffers a blow from whatever came its way. If you switch for a Shedinja, and the opponent sends a Fire Blast out of the blue your way, your team is already unraveling, all purely because of the moveset your Hitmonlee has you stuck with.

Hitmonchan, you have no way around it. You have to suck it up, and EV train him, because it's worth it. His versatility rivals that of Nidoking, Dragonite, etc. who are stronger, but lack the extra oomph. Let's face it. How many Hitmonlee have soloed the Elite Four? I've always managed to do so with Hitmonchan, not because of his stats; but because with his moves, you can set just that one Pokemon up to send the Elite Four packing.

My theory on Pokemon, and it's a harsh one. If your Pokemon is at level 80, and it still can't solo the Elite Four on its own, it's not worth training. They're just another collectable as you catch 'em all.~

Charcoal92

Banned
Years
Hitmonlee! It was one of the first Pokemon I saw a picture of. Lee is also my middle name so that sorta help the choice.

AluminiumOxide

Aka Ansirent
Years
Hitmonlee! It was one of the first Pokemon I saw a picture of. Lee is also my middle name so that sorta help the choice.

Choosing by Name and luck isn't good, Hitmonlee was your first Pokemon you saw picture, So if you saw Chan instead of lee will you say to choose Chan this time ? so it won't be good. And lee is your name good name {XD} but you know we can't say that Hitmonlee is bad or Hitmonchan is bad cause they both are well designed Pokemon so we can't disrespect Hitmons, But your choice about lee isn't bad though.

feralig8rx

PokeFanatic
Years
Hitmonchan!

When I was younger, Hitmonlee kinda scared me a little, it looked really weird. Plus Hitmonchan was just epic with the different type punches.

Sleeping Eevee

Let Sleeping Eves Lie
Years
I picked Hitmonlee...probably because it looked cool. Not sure why...then again, I was just a little kid when I first played LG, so...
...It may have also been for the 'lee' part, since my Uncle's name is Lee. The more you know!

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Mar 26, 2014
Hitmonlee's design is better. People criticize Throh and Sawk for wearing karate gear, but they wear something you fight in unlike a certain Hitmonchan. Or all of them. When I was 5 I thought all of them were female.

Years
I see that a majority of users on here still prefer Hitmonlee.

That worries me. Especially after this pic was leaked onto the internet about a year ago.

I prefer Hitmonchan because he just seems cooler to me. Yes, he is a little bit low on the attack stat side and doesn't really need the little increase in defense that Hitmonlee doesn't have, but he has a much broader movepool. In addition to the elemental punches (which don't work well for him in Gen III, sadly), he also has access to Pursuit and Sky Uppercut, so it's able to hit escaping pokemon and flying pokemon as well. For example, if both Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee were up against a flying pokemon, Hitmonchan would probably end out on top after using Sky Uppercut on the flying pokemon, because both would probably be K.O.'d after a hit from Fly.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
Yea, if it's raw power you're looking for, then Hitmonlee is your ideal choice. But Hitmonchan is much more versatile, and can dispatch a much wider variety of enemies, albeit not as quickly as Hitmonlee. Depends a lot on what your battling style is, really.

The bright side is, if you feel like you didn't make the right choice, later on in the game you'll have the ability to breed for a Tyrogue and get the other two Hitmons.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
For battling I prefer Hitmonlee over Hitmonchan. With Fighting Gem he becomes a boss sweeper in UU and NU imo. Also, with his ability unburden, he can be a powerhouse as well. Aesthetically though, I like the look of hitmonchan more. Hitmonchan remins me of a Mohammed Ali, he is awesome. I like him even more than Tyrogue and hitmontop. Hitmonchan is probably the fighting pokemon that looks the coolest.

Tek

Years
Hitmonchan was my favorite 1st gen pokemon for a long time. He just seemed super cool, and the elemental punches were very helpful for type coverage.

Back