• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Plot Bunny Thread

Is Fire Emblem: Conjoinst Souls something that you'd be interested in reading?

• Yes

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters
Years
  • Seen Apr 29, 2012
It was brought to my attention my Pirate idea isn't really a Mystery Dungeon fan fic as I had thought because it doesn't follow the "Exploring and Rescuing" Formula, though the exploring is 100% still there, there's pretty much no 'rescuing", asides from rescuing crew members. But what you said it right, which is why I haven't started yet. I've planned out the entire crew, the 'good guy' antagonists , the list of 'boss' fights (not including villain fights) and the order they happen but I really want to work on this villainous group alot more to where they're not just doing it for the giggles.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
I pretty much am stealing and expanding upon what little characterization people get in a Pokemon game. The biggest reason why I wanted to pass this off as a psuedo-fanfic, though, is because that is an epically massive amount of names to come up with. I hate coming up with names. Probably a good idea, nonetheless.
It probably would be. Because if you want to use the basics of the characters from Pokemon in your original fanfiction, then why not just write Pokemon fanfiction? That way, you won't be accused of stealing characters, you won't have to think up names, and you'll have a built-in audience.

But if you want to write original fiction, then you're going to have to put in the work of thinking up names and personalities for your characters. Otherwise, it would just be weird to read about a character named Red from Pallet Town in Kanto who wants to defeat the Elite Four...and not have it be about Pokemon. Everything else about your story is different, though. So that's good.

See, that's one reason why people write fanfiction. Because they want to explore more of a character's personality than what was given in canon.

But yeah, try behind the name which has a random name generator for names.

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2012
Note: Having now finished this post, I realized that I'm basically taking several paragraphs to say absolutely nothing, since I've already decided to convert the thing into an original fiction and hope for the best. So unless you're really bored and want to hear me rant about the peculiarities of the status of my story as not quite fan fiction or original fiction, feel free to skip this post in its entirety.

It probably would be. Because if you want to use the basics of the characters from Pokemon in your original fanfiction, then why not just write Pokemon fanfiction? That way, you won't be accused of stealing characters, you won't have to think up names, and you'll have a built-in audience.

I considered it, because almost all of the characters are lifted directly from the game, and then fleshed out a bit and occasionally repurposed slightly to fit the altered theme of the world. I could've just altered things back, and changed the Pokemon universe only slightly to facilitate the plot (the biggest change being that the Leagues aren't just a major sporting event but a method of asserting political power, in order to keep the main characters' motivations intact).

But that would also mean drastically altering the party dynamics of Red's team. In the fiction I've ended up outlining, one of Red's biggest roles is that of keeping the party together even though all of its members have different motivations. This falls apart completely if they're all Pokemon. Most of their motivations just don't apply anymore. It doesn't make any sense for fully half the time to be so concerned with personal wealth, fame, or status if they're Pokemon, and Silent Hill's motivation revolves around her parents having been imprisoned for being political dissidents against Giovanni's iron-fisted rule of Viridian City. This stops making sense in context of Pokemon. Pokemon are typically loyal to their trainer by default, and even if I made it an AU where this isn't true, Red would still be more controlling his Pokemon through sheer force of will than manipulating them into sticking together to chase after a shared goal. Not to mention, adapting Silent Hill's motivation to her being a Pokemon is going to sound like a cartoonishly preachy statement about cruelty to animals.

Everything else about your story is different, though. So that's good.

Erm, no. Looking back, it sounded like that, but only because I spent most of my time explaining the differences (or really, the one big difference) between normal Pokemon fan fiction and my story. My story is literally just the Pokemon story with nothing but surface details changed. The main plot and the characterization of everyone outside the main party are exactly the same, and that's because the main party doesn't have characterization in Pokemon. Red's literally a blank slate for the player to project on, and his Pokemon are characterized solely by a two-sentence Pokedex entry.

Really, that's the whole problem. This story exists in a sort of a twilight zone between original and fan fiction. It's not just the names that would need to be changed, since the plot and 90% of the characters are also unchanged. I plan to just ignore that completely and hope people don't pick up on the similarities, but anyone who noticed one similarity, just by chance, would probably pick up on the rest very quickly.

Of course, all this could be solved by just taking the original parts of the story and changing the details. Altering the geography and order the cities are visited in, moving certain gym leaders/nobles around, changing the activities of my Team Rocket expies to reflect the newly altered geographic and political landscape...

But I don't really want to go through that much effort, to be honest. I'm still kind of recovering from the burnout that followed from an aborted collaborative writing project two months ago, and I'm honestly looking for an easy project to get me started writing again. Finally putting this odd little idea of mine down into writing seems like a really good idea. The structure of the plot is already written down for me, and I already have a bunch of interesting characters with differing and often conflicting motivations, including one who's dedicated to making sure the whole team doesn't fall apart. All I really have to do is stick them in Point A and watch the protagonist try to get them all to Point B, personalities bouncing off of one another and character growth happening all on its own, without any forethought on my part.

Anyways. /rant I hope anyone who ends up reading all of this gets something out of it all, because I'm worried it may have ended up sounding a lot whinier than it was supposed to.

Azurne

The Local Trickster
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 19, 2011
I'm sorry, but I'm really confused now... What exactly did you want to do with this fiction? If i'm reading all of your posts correctly, you want to make a fanfiction with no Pokémon, but stealing the storyline and simply altering it? Can you clarify that for me?

For something that is only supposed to get you back into the groove of writing, you're throwing a lot of problems in for yourself. If you want to write it as you've said, go for it, but I don't recommend posting it here. I just don't see the point since you're ripping out the backbone of this franchise and only slightly altering the story. I can't see anyone reading it because not only are you removing what made this fandom (the Pokémon), but keeping the story mostly the same, ergo we pretty much know how it ends.

You're better off ditching this idea, if this is essentially what you're doing. If you don't want to put a whole lot of effort into a story, I'd recommend simply brainstorming for about five minutes and writing a short story about Pokémon.

Bottom line I suppose is, if this isn't something you want to put a whole lot of effort in, keep it to yourself in a word document. Then when you feel up to it you can work on whatever it is you really want to work on. I just don't understand the point of posting a story where you didn't put your whole effort into creating it.

I don't mean to come off as cold, I'm just slightly baffled. XD

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2012
For something that is only supposed to get you back into the groove of writing, you're throwing a lot of problems in for yourself. If you want to write it as you've said, go for it, but I don't recommend posting it here. I just don't see the point since you're ripping out the backbone of this franchise and only slightly altering the story. I can't see anyone reading it because not only are you removing what made this fandom (the Pokémon), but keeping the story mostly the same, ergo we pretty much know how it ends.

Pokemon didn't have much in terms of plot to begin with. The interesting part of this story would be the character drama, which is the interesting part of pretty much everything I write. And also the easiest part for me. And, if past experience is anything to go by, the character interactions are enough to sustain a good story.

You're better off ditching this idea, if this is essentially what you're doing. If you don't want to put a whole lot of effort into a story, I'd recommend simply brainstorming for about five minutes and writing a short story about Pokémon.

No good. If it's not a story that I'm personally interested in, it won't help me get started again. It'll probably just make things worse. I could try to force myself to write something just based on existing audiences, but it'd probably kill the muse just after she's come back. I need a group of characters that I like, and I already have that. I just need a plot to give them.

Bottom line I suppose is, if this isn't something you want to put a whole lot of effort in, keep it to yourself in a word document.

Also no good. I cannot write without feedback from other people. Not for very long. I pretty much always give up on a project if I have to write more than ~20 pages of it without hearing at least one or two people tell me what they thought about it.

Then when you feel up to it you can work on whatever it is you really want to work on. I just don't understand the point of posting a story where you didn't put your whole effort into creating it.

Well, you might say that I am putting my whole effort into creating this. It's just that, being in recovery from severe burnout, my whole effort isn't nearly as much as it usually is.

Bay

Years
Pokemon didn't have much in terms of plot to begin with. The interesting part of this story would be the character drama, which is the interesting part of pretty much everything I write. And also the easiest part for me. And, if past experience is anything to go by, the character interactions are enough to sustain a good story.
Pokemon does have plot if you think about it for a bit. Sure, maybe not the much original, but I say the plots get better and better for a children's game IMO. As for character drama, those are good sometimes, but there has to be some kind of situation first that triggers the character drama in order for those kind of stories to work.

No good. If it's not a story that I'm personally interested in, it won't help me get started again. It'll probably just make things worse. I could try to force myself to write something just based on existing audiences, but it'd probably kill the muse just after she's come back. I need a group of characters that I like, and I already have that. I just need a plot to give them.
Real quick, make sure you have the characters work for the plot, not the other way around if you know if I mean. And also, a story is just as important as characters. The events happening is what will shape the development of the characters, so you have to think a bit about the plot you wanted to do and not just how you want the characters to interact. You don't have to think everything that's going to happening, but do have an idea which direction you want to take the plot.

Also no good. I cannot write without feedback from other people. Not for very long. I pretty much always give up on a project if I have to write more than ~20 pages of it without hearing at least one or two people tell me what they thought about it.
Well, JX Valentine already mentioned some places you can show you writing in this earlier post. if you're really considering doing this story as original fiction.

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2012
I said it didn't have much of a plot, I didn't say it had no plot at all. Pokemon is a very good story for this sort of thing, because it has a very basic, but very solid plot, individual pieces of which can be dramatically altered or expanded on a whim without significantly changing the rest of the course of events. If Viridian Forest gets burned down, Red gets framed for the Team Rocket theft in Cerulean, and Lt. Surge turns out to be working for Team Rocket, Red's still going to be going to Lavender, Celadon, etc. etc. to complete his journey.

And yes, I do plan on making it an original fic and making use of the sites mentioned in that post. I just don't plan to keep it on a Word document.

Incidentally, if anyone can think of good names to replace Professor Oak and Pallet Town, I'm kind of stumped on those.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
=|

Guys, let's move to a different topic already. This thread isn't for arguing (heck, straight from the first post: 'Don't argue and be civil'). Any more of that and infractions might start coming.

As it is I'll be deleting all those off-topic posts then.

Otherworld9)

Bard of Rage
Years
  • Age 27
  • honk
  • Seen Jan 5, 2014
New Story Help

Well, I didn't really pay attention to any of these fan fics until now, so I guess I'm a newbie at this. Well, to get things over with, do any of you think a good plot for a story involving a Riolu?
Synopsis:
Deneta was an ordinary teen girl, and a craze over anime. One day, Ron calls her over the phone, wanting emergency over his strange request. He has turned into a Pichu. She doesn't know how he did it, but she goes along with his help. Without knowing what has happened, before she could think of a plan, she is turned into a Riolu, entering the world of Pokemon and meeting many that might be able to answer her question...why did she turn into a Pokemon?

I got the characters, I just need a plot to go along with them....:paranoid:

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
I'd hate to be overly blunt, but if you have to ask others for a plot, chances are you're going to have a lot of problems down the line. After all, a lot of creativity goes into writing, so if you can't come up with a general idea for what you want to do, you'll probably end up getting stuck when you try to execute the more detailed version of that same idea.

This is because a story often has subplots that go right along with it. The concept -- what most people call the plot -- is just a very general overview. For example, if you have a concept wherein these Pokémon go on a Mystery Dungeon-like adventure to defeat (insert evil Pokémon here), that's fine, but beyond that, you might have subplots involving them falling in love with each other, them trying to get used to their powers, all kinds of other things. You're going to have to come up with those yourself because, well, we can't really be there for you all the time to write the story yourself. Not to mention it'd be much more satisfying to you if you came up with your own idea and to us to read your creativity at work.

With that being said, my advice is, if you're suffering from a lot of writer's block, to do any number of the following:

1. Look hard at your characters. You've already got a halfway decent plot as it is. Kids get turned into Pokémon. They don't know why. They set out on a journey to figure it out. Just add the reason and maybe (if applicable) some antagonists, and you've got yourself the skeleton of a story.

2. Think about what you want to write about. Yes, what you want to write about. Another reason why we can't give you a plot? Because not everything floats everyone's boats. For example, I hate writing sappy romance a la some romantic comedy film, but I love writing dark fic. If someone asked me to write sappy romance, I'd go for about two pages before someone gets bound and tortured. Short of it is, ask yourself what kinds of genres you're most interested in. Are you more of a fantasy person? Science fiction? Do you like happy endings or sad ones? Things like that. (No, I'm not expecting an answer to any of these. Do not answer these questions to get me to come up with a plot for you.)

3. Tied in with the above, read, watch some TV or movie, listen to music, do a lot of other things that are in the same genres as what you want to write about. That should give your brain a jumpstart in order to think of potential ideas.

4. Read a lot of fanfiction too. Fanfics on this forum are also sorted by genre in the Fanfiction Index. You can use that as a tool to guide yourself to your genre(s) of interest.

5. Open up a blank word processor document or your notebook and write down notes. They can be anything from backstories and more information about your characters to whatever pops into your mind first. Getting the thoughts from your head to someplace where you can see them and go back over them can help you keep track of your ideas as well as add to them later. Something might pop up the longer you go about doing this.

6. When you've got a general concept or few, take it here and put it up. In the Plot Bunny Thread, you can get feedback on your thoughts as well as a few nudges in the right direction. However, remember. Don't go there until you come up with a general idea first.

Tl;dr, sorry to say, but it's a good idea to sit down and push yourself to think of a plot instead of asking others to do it for you. You can, though, if you work hard enough on it. Good luck!

Last edited:

Roxasabridged

Lucariowner
Years
I had this idea a while ago. I've not done much with it, but I may sometime in the future:

It's set in a Mystery Dungeon kind of 'verse. Exact locations are still lacking, but anyway...

The story follows 'Team Rio', comprised of a Riolu (Rio), Plusle (Axel) and Minun (Mina). Rio is a bit of an overconfident, unlike-able 'mon, who only teamed up with Plusle and Minun because a team was required to become a Rescuer.

Rio wants to become a Rescuer simply for the fame and recognition. One day, when exploring a 'Dungeon' for himself, he saw the two Pokemon being attacked by a Poochyena. After saving the two, he basically conscripted them as repayment.

The Rescuer Guild is split into three factions who deal with a part of the region: the 'Endless Flame' faction, run by Charizard. 'Infinite Water', ran by Blastoise', and 'Eternal Nature' ran by Venusaur.

After being accepted, the group do various tasks. Rio, of course, is angry that he only gets menial tasks that won't earn him fame, Axel is angry at being forced to accompany Rio and being forced to hang back and let Rio do the work, and Mina tries to settle in with the guild.

However, during one their 'menial' missions, they encounter a mysterious group, who claim to be after 'Apocalypse', stated to be untold disaster that will bring ruin to the region.

After an initial defeat, in which Mina is injured badly, Rio and Axel have a rather serious fight, before Rio decides to accept help from the twin Pokemon (And by extension, other Rescue Teams).

Once Mina recovers, the group's relations increase, as does their fame as they rank up, but the looming threat of 'Apocalypse' still bothers them. The threat was treated as a 'Maniacal fantasy that wouldn't come to fruition', but when Pokemon that live near Dungeons start going berserk, the matter is finally treated seriously.

Again, the group meet with the group (Which they learn is called the 'Acolytes'), as well as their leader. A Lucario, who claims to be Rio's brother.

... Well, not to ramble on about every little detail in the story, it basically follows the adventures of a Riolu who learns to accept help and realise that fame doesn't necessarily mean being an all powerful loner, and just happens to form a group that take it upon themselves to prevent 'Apocalypse' from happening.

And for those curious on some more details on Apocalypse...

Spoiler:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
A Mystery Dungeon fic that isn't actually a cookie-cutter, human-was-turned-into-a-Pokémon Mystery Dungeon fic including a jerkass main character and promises for shenanigans? Yes, please.

Seriously, this sounds like it'll be an awesome fic, just because of your main character.

Spoiler:

Good luck!

Roxasabridged

Lucariowner
Years
I never meant to have similarities to Primal Dialga (Never got that far in the game...) but as for why he's now evil...

Spoiler:

Glad you like it, although I don't have the time to really get it written right now. Plus I know I'd screw it all up at some point down the line.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
The team attempting this 'ritual' would need their motivations and so forth for doing so established as well, I feel, but I agree with Jax that it certainly seems interesting!

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Oh, maybe you know about that game that has Professor Layton meeting Phoenix Wright? It crossed my mind when I read what fandoms you were writing about.

Anyhow, speaking of Layton, Phoenix (and Luke, right? Please tell me Luke's in the story), what's their role in the story? They have to figure out what's going on at this hotel? You only talked about the woman. And I have to say... She sounds like she has the more interesting story. Maybe it's just me, but I'd like to read more about the woman. But it'll be interesting to see how Layton and Wright work through the clues to figure out her back story.

But yeah, I can see that the back story itself is a little rough. Maybe...

Spoiler:

If that makes sense.

But this does look interesting, and I'd like to hear more about the parts of Wright and Layton.

Dragonite Ernston

I rival Lance's.
Years
  • Seen Jun 15, 2016
The Cyrus x Giratina shipping needs some love (YES PUN INTENDED).

Somebody should write a story about that shipping. It exists in name only. I mean, come on. They're the only two beings in the Distortion World; something's bound to come between them.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
@Impo: Yeah, that covers it. Your second spoiler is definitely what I was looking for in terms of back story for the sisters. I like it.

You probably don't want as many puzzles in your story as there are in the game. Really, just have enough to show Layton's skills, and then a few scenes that shows Phoenix's skills. (You'll have to forgive me. I've never played an Ace Attorney game! Only Professor Layton.) That way, there's the basis of what both characters do, and you can use the scenes to have them build respect for one another while solving the mystery.

There's the possibility of using the canon characters' pasts to add to the story. You can always see if there's more to their history that you can use.

But yeah, your post is clear, and I'm liking your story so far.

@Dragonite Ernston: Are you asking for someone to write some Cyrus x Giratina? You do know that there are quite a few ships on that grand shippers' list that don't have fic written for them*. Maybe see if there's even a demand for fic of that ship? I haven't even seen anyone mention it elsewhere, so I don't know how many other people would even think of exploring that ship. But if you start talking about it (like you did now) you might bring someone's attention to it, and they'll start exploring it.

*Baw to no Blazeshipping love.

Dragonite Ernston

I rival Lance's.
Years
  • Seen Jun 15, 2016
@Dragonite Ernston: Are you asking for someone to write some Cyrus x Giratina? You do know that there are quite a few ships on that grand shippers' list that don't have fic written for them*. Maybe see if there's even a demand for fic of that ship? I haven't even seen anyone mention it elsewhere, so I don't know how many other people would even think of exploring that ship. But if you start talking about it (like you did now) you might bring someone's attention to it, and they'll start exploring it.

*Baw to no Blazeshipping love.

Well, I've got two people on Bulbagarden hooked on the idea.

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
@Impo: Yeah, that covers it. Your second spoiler is definitely what I was looking for in terms of back story for the sisters. I like it.

You probably don't want as many puzzles in your story as there are in the game. Really, just have enough to show Layton's skills, and then a few scenes that shows Phoenix's skills. (You'll have to forgive me. I've never played an Ace Attorney game! Only Professor Layton.) That way, there's the basis of what both characters do, and you can use the scenes to have them build respect for one another while solving the mystery.

There's the possibility of using the canon characters' pasts to add to the story. You can always see if there's more to their history that you can use.

But yeah, your post is clear, and I'm liking your story so far.

yay, thank you :)
and you haven't played an Ace Attorney yet :o
bite your tongue ! Go buy it ;)
(and that made me realise i have to describe characters for those who haven't played the series x) )

The story will incude a Magatama, to squeeze the truth out of witnesses and people.
Luke Flora gets one from Pearl in the end.

One problem I'm having, I'm not quite sure how to make the two groups intervene. And how to make them stay as a group. Basically gain their trust. I think I'll do it through puzzle-solving and magatama truth squeezing.

Also, should I let one of the characters do some spirit-channeling? To summon Mia or maybe the Twins Father?

..oh, and here are the characters from the stories I'm going to include;

Professor Layton
Professor Hershel Layton
Luke Triton
Flora Reinhold

Ace Attorney
Pheonix Wright
Maya Fey
Pearl Fey
Miles Edgeworth/Franziska Von Karma
Mia Fey (minor character, channeled)

Back