• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

#5: Battle of the Hitmons!

Which is your favorite evolution of Tyrogue?

• Total voters
Years
Welcome back to another round of voting in the Poké-Poll of the Week here in Pokémon Voting Polls! As always, remember all PC & PVP rules apply, especially:

Expand on your answers! Don't just tell us that Pikachu is your favorite Pokémon- tell us why! If you're just listing or giving very short answers, your post may be up for a warning or an infraction.
This week's POTW was a suggestion from gimmepie, who'll be receiving an emblem shortly for the contribution. As always, if there are any future POTWs you'd like to see, either VM me or leave a suggestion along with your post in this thread. If your topic is selected, not only will it become the POTW, but you'll be awarded with an emblem as well! So without further ado, this week's poll question is:

Which is your favorite evolution of Tyrogue: Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan or Hitmontop?

Alright everyone, vote away!

Last edited:
Years
Hitmonchan gets my vote. I love boxing! Moreover, the large should pads, frilled skirt trunks, and spiky hair, creates a dynamic shape that is pleasing to the eye. Additionally, I like the androgynous vibe I get from the design.

The only issue is the color of the boxing gloves. I would prefer the gloves to look more neutral and organic with the design. Like, white gloves, but this is a really nit-picky critique.

Though, this one was close between hitmonchan and hitmonlee.

Hitmonlee's accordion arm and legs paired with the body shape that resembles pullover hood and the headless people, Blemmyes.

I love weird/interesting designs, and that what makes choosing between the two so difficult, I love the interesting choices made in each of these, but overall, I just love the overall shape of hitmonchan.

Hitmontop, I can't take it seriously. The other pokemon represent styles of fighting based on different fighting techniques. Hitmontop, just seems overworked and gimmicky. Why not add a sumo with a belly-focus technique, or a head-related attack with a ball and chain hair-whip. That, or a mixed technique with a focus on both arms and legs, a kick-boxer. I don't know, I just don't like the addition of this pokemon to an otherwise great line.

Years
I have always preferred Hitmonlee to Hitmonchan and Hitmontop, it's actually one of my favourite pokemon with some really well rounded offensive moves.

I prefer its design to the other two, it looks quite sleek and powerful, it's really unique and it is neither too human nor too gimmicky like its relatives.

As far as battling goes, Hitmonlee has a beastly attack stat and a Sp. Def that can help it live longer against those pesky Psychic and Fairy types and it combines these stats with the ability to cover two of its weaknesses easily with its movepool (Stone Edge for flying types and Poison Jab/Bullet Punch for fairies) it really only has thief for psychic-typed pokemon but they tend to be weak physically and can generally be taken out by one of Hitmonlee's coverage moves. It also can have priority in the form of Bullet Punch and Vaccuum Wave to go along with that high attack stat.

So yes, Hitmonlee definitely gets my vote.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
In design, I think I would have to go with Hitmonlee. It does look sort of like a punching-bag, but its are pretty vicious-looking, though, which makes up for it. Hitmonchan doesn't look too bad, either, but I personally would have liked it more if its body were more bulky. You know, kind of like Machoke. It doesn't exactly have to be that way; only a little. When it comes to battling, Hitmontop would be my pick. Its defenses are well-balanced, enabling it to withstand a few hits. Plus, with access to Rapid Spin, it could blow away all entry-hazards for you in an instant. It could learn Close Combat as well, which is an extremely powerful move. :]

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
In design, I think I would have to go with Hitmonlee. It does look sort of like a punching-bag, but its are pretty vicious-looking, though, which makes up for it. Hitmonchan doesn't look too bad, either, but I personally would have liked it more if its body were more bulky. You know, kind of like Machoke. It doesn't exactly have to be that way; only a little. When it comes to battling, Hitmontop would be my pick. Its defenses are well-balanced, enabling it to withstand a few hits. Plus, with access to Rapid Spin, it could blow away all entry-hazards for you in an instant. It could learn Close Combat as well, which is an extremely powerful move. :]

What kind of argument is that? All Hitmons get access to Rapid Spin and all of them can make great use of it. You do realize they all get High Jump Kick, too? While I do think Close Combat is better on defensive Hitmontop/chan sets, you have to consider its possible stat drops. High Jump Kick doesn't have those and it's slightly stronger (a miss can be fatal, yes, but Foresight can hit Ghosts on the switch). Also, Reckless Hitmonlee's High Jump Kicks are IMMENSELY powerful, hitting levels of power Close Combat can't. Nothing against you, and I do agree that Hitmontop is the best of the three.

My favourite is thus Hitmontop, with great defensive stats, INTIMIDATE, and a great support movepool, including Foresight, Toxic, Protect and Substitute that Hitmontop can make much better use of than the other two Hitmons. It also looks the best of the three imo.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I've only used Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee in the games and I must say, since I was looking for a good fighting type with decent fighting type moves, Hitmochan disappointed me a bit while Hitmonlee became a strong member of my final E4 team on several playthroughs. I usually had Primeape or Machoke, since you got hold of Hitmonlee so late in the game and I preferred to have my team set up pretty early. But I got over that and used it at last, at some point. And I'm glad I did.

It's my favorite of the hitmons, even though I really liked Hitmontop when it was first announced. Never quite liked Tyrogue much, especially since its in-game moveset is pretty weird :3 But Hitmontop was cute and inventive, with its headspinning fashion. However, Hitmonlee with its extendable legs and sort of ominous face is my favorite of the three.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
Probably Hitmonchan. Off the top of my head, it gets a lot of more interesting coverage moves, more than just the standard Fighting attacks. I prefer the design as well over Lee and Top. Haven't used any of the three extensively though so it's not like overwhelming in Chan's favor.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
Ive always loved Hitmonlee the most since i played Pokemon Yellow for the first time. I love how he uses mostly kicks and he can wreck house in battle. Hitmonchan is nice for having better defense and getting the elemental punches, but ill always pick Hitmonlee over the rest

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
I prefered Hitmonlee to the other hitmons, as Hitmonchan looks like it's wearing an dress and pair of gloves. Himontop an spinning top based pokemon.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
I vote for Hitmonlee purely for design and the fact that I prefer it better than Hitmonchan for kicks. Hitmontop is also a nice guy, but I would have liked him better if Triple Kick was stronger. But competitively I prefer Hitmontop for bulk and the Special Defense (against Psychics).

Also, Bruce Lee is so awesome.

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Oct 16, 2023
on my first run through fire-red i chose Hitmonlee, though it could have gone either way because it was the first one i looked at. after a wile it grew on me and i picked it again the next time, and the next, and the next...

so yea, Hitmonlee gets my vote :)

Years
Hitmonlee. Niether of the them have a spectacular design, but Hitmonlee is the best among the three, and it has a very good Attack stat.
Hitmontop is a joke. What is it? A spinning top?
Btw, all the 3 have the same special bulk.

Years
I've always liked Hitmonchan the most. I think I prefer the punching moves to kicking, and I never really saw the appeal in Hitmontop, haha.

Years
To be honest, I'm not entirely a fan of any fighting Pokemon, but amongst the choices I'd have to say Hitmontop. I remember playing Pokemon Stadium and the only thing I would do is constantly play the mini-games and one of my favourites was Hitmontops basically being dreidels XD That's practically the only experience I've had with any of them.

Years
It's been a little more than a week, but eh, who's counting?

Out of the three Tyrogue evolutions, I've always preferred Hitmonchan. The elemental punches that Hitmonchan gets always sold me on it as a kid, and its holographic card from the Base Set of the TCG was one of my most sought after cards, even though it doesn't quite hold up these days.

Anyway, remember that even though the POTW is over, you can continue voting and sharing your opinions after the thread is destickied here in PVP, so if you haven't yet, feel free! The next PokePOTW should be up shortly, so stay tuned!

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
Hitmontop would be my favourite, probably the only one of the three I'd consider using on my team. Hitmonchan would be my second choice.

Years
237.gif

This guy! He's really usefull all-around and has a way better design than Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee, both of which I've never really been fond of. It's neat in the anime and has some really cool (+nicely angled) TCG designs!

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
Hitmontop is the only one which really stands out for me, even then I feel he's slightly underpowered and his design is kind of unappealing. Lee and Chan aren't very interesting and only really have slightly interesting movesets. They also look hideous as well, Lee has no mouth for some reason and Chan is wearing a skirt.

Back