• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

WHY WON'T YOU WOR- Oh there we go.

Years

When was the last time you fixed something?

This thread is to talk about those times some piece of technology broke and you fixed it. Maybe it was a easy fix or you went around in circles for hours and hours, before realising that it is a simple fix.

Many times I have done this with printers; having cleared all of the jammed paper to find one little bit has ripped inside the fuser and it is a simple remove.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Same here with the printers. Always jams on me. At first it took me awhile to figure out how to fix it but now its easier.

Printers are annoying.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
I'm terrible with it. I try and I fail and it makes me super frustrated. When I can't figure out why something is broken it really stresses me out.. >_> I need good customer service.

Algo Fonix

oh god
Years
I had to re-cap my monitor, because Samsung used bootleg parts and they exploded. Was a relatively quick and easy fix, though. The last project I undertook was re-routing power on one of my old game systems. One of the traces on the motherboard got severely oxidized and I ended up tracing back to where the connection was good and using a thin wire to complete the circuit again. I also installed a new screen in my brother's laptop... which was so simple I don't know why he didn't do it himself, honestly.

I love fixing things.

droomph

weeb
Years
Fix? Never bother. :P

I use it 'till it breaks, then mope around 'till I get a better one :3

but really though the most I've ever even tried to fix is like my printer. I can't be bothered to take care of my laptop tbh

Years
Thread title reminded me of a funny moment I had in Physics class the other day.

I was calculating time dilation at speeds close to the speed of light and it wasn't working. I was getting so frustrated and yelling "you're wrong, why are you wrong?" other classmates were laughing but I didn't care, my calculator was wrong and I didn't know why.
Turns out I was using c = 3.0x10^8 m/s instead of c = 1 as in 1x the speed of light.
Boy did I look silly when I worked it out.
LOL!
Spoiler:

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Not much as far as mechanically fixing stuff (though one time I did have to reassemble my VCR remote after it fell on the floor and the plastic casing broke in two). Then there was my crappy attempt to repair my broken DS hinge with tape until the tape came off, but my fix did last for over a year xD . And when I worked in the math department offices at my college, they had this horrible printer that I would always have to resolve a paper jam with. Come to think of it, I may be more handyman than I thought xD

However.... my brother doesn't have a proper antivirus program on his computer and he seems to always stumble upon rogue sites that install viruses and malware, so I'm always the one who has to restart the thing, go into safe mode, kill processes, hunt for hidden files to delete, change the registry, and so on to clean it up. And those suckers seem to get harder and harder to get rid of each time, so it's taking me more time to fix the problems on it.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Happens to be quite often. Especially recently with my adapter which sometimes doesn't want to work or would be working but wouldn't be charging my computer (aka I need a new one). Most of the time I will try again and again until I get it to work or it miraculously does but sometimes I get really frustrated and give up. Whether it is for a time being or just forever really depends.

Years
Haha I remember having this conversation with you on Saturday. Last week, one of the company owners requested me to try and fix his printer - it kept printing out pages that were completely black. Essentially all I did was take out the black ink cartridge and re-callibrated it twice and then it worked.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
Years
Seems like most people agree with me...printers are the spawn of Satan himself. They jam for no apparent reason, go offline and won't receive a signal, stop working at random intervals, and just in general are a pain in the ass. Then you unplug them, turn them back on, and they go on about their business.

Years
Seems like most people agree with me...printers are the spawn of Satan himself. They jam for no apparent reason, go offline and won't receive a signal, stop working at random intervals, and just in general are a pain in the ass. Then you unplug them, turn them back on, and they go on about their business.

You'd be correct, my printer doesn't work when my wi-fi isn't connected for some reason.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
Tossing this in as some humor.

In highschool, I was in the Votech program taking computer engineering. Out class pretty much was Votechs IT department.

If something broke, we got the call to fix it.

The most memorable/funny was a computer, from automotive, that refused to turn on. The TEACHER of that Votech class spent 10 minutes telling us that he tried everything and it still refused to work.

I fixed it in under a minute. I just flipped the switch on the power supply.

Our class was laughing for a few days after that.

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
My Android phone often loves disagreeing with me, and I have to troubleshoot it all the time. My laptop is also nearing the four-year mark and I don't know how long it has left, so I'm keeping on my toes.

Actually fixing something? Been a while. This is more minor stuff. Annoying, yes. Doable... yes.

Years
Pretty much everything I touch breaks so I've gotten pretty good at fixing stuff I accidentally step on or drop or install something that doesn't quite agree with another piece of software.
The last thing that I had to fix was my browser, after installing a plugin it started to crash constantly and it took me well over a week to make a connection between the two. I find it funny that it was a plugin that was meant to help you when your browser crashes too lol.

Years
A while back, my parents had a computer (owned for 4 years).. then towards the end of its life (under their ownership) it began to run slow and eventually refuse to boot. They turned the machine over to me and so I placed different OSs on it and discovered that they too were running slow. Next, I performed a hard drive diagnostics in the BIOS to find that the hard drive in the machine was dying. So over the summer, I went out and bought a new hard drive (HP, the computer's manufacturer said the HDD had to match exact specs or else it wouldn't function properly).. So I did that and to this day the computer is acting good as new under my ownership.

Back