• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen 3DS Exclusive - RIP Pokemon?

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
Until XY gets released, many games will come out. At least there are lot I'm looking forward to. I already have at least 10 games I'm looking forward too, and it's just the beginning of 3DS. But Pokemon is the main reason for me to get one, so I hoped for a later release. I'm also happy it comes out this year. Too bad the prices are terrible in my country.

Thus, while maybe coming out too soon for the west (double edged sword for international release?), it will certainly boost the sales of 3DS. The only bad thing is that those who don't buy the game soon enough, will miss out some wifi gifts.

blue

gucci
Years
There will probably be a Christmas promotion where you can get an exclusive 3DS with Pokemon X or Y pre-installed for a reasonable price.

Years
There will probably be a Christmas promotion where you can get an exclusive 3DS with Pokemon X or Y pre-installed for a reasonable price.

I was thinking this, which would be a nice offer. I would certainly wait for that offer if I were to, finally, decide to get it again.​

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
The moment I saw the 3DS at E3 2010, I started saving up and bought it on launch. And I have never regretted the decision.

There may have used to be a deficit of good games, but they've got plenty of good games now. I own Mario Kart, OoT 3D, Kingdom Hearts DDD, Scribblenauts Unlimited, and Super Mario 3D Land. Plus there are great games already out that I've been wanting to get such as Paper Mario, New Super Mario Bros. 2, Kid Icarus: Uprising and Animal Crossing. Plus there are more games coming out for it that are top class. Personally I'm really looking forward to Fire Emblem: Awakening in February, and now I have a Pokemon game to look forward to later down the road. Plus if you don't like much of the games for it you could always check out the Nintendo eShop and get really good downloadable games for cheap, and since the eShop carried over all the games from the DSi, the library is quite expansive and the quality is good as well.

With the price drop, I feel that the 3DS is worth buying now more than ever. And considering that the DSi XL was once more costly than the 3DS is I don't see why families that could afford one of the DS models when it was new can't afford this with a trade-in or from just buying one used. Pokemon is far from dying, and X and Y can only serve to further boost the sales of the 3DS.

P.S. can't wait for the inevitable "Pokemon Z" announcement. XD

Ah, well, my main reason why I bought 3DS in the first place is because of Pokemon as well. I thought many people should prepare for this when 3DS released. With many prices cut it receive till now, I guess 3DS shouldn't be the main reason why the audience got limited.

Wait, shouldn't it be XY2? Or maybe We got Z then XYZ2?
Forget what I said

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
The Fire and Water starters look like ****. Mostly the Water one. The male character looks a lot like Black.

And the screenshots of the overworld... I dunno what to think. TOO MANY CONFLICTING FEELINGS! AND WHERE'S RUBY/SAPPHIRE REMAKES?

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
Erk, you may be right. Everyone was expecting a Pokemon Gray announcement but Nintendo totally pulled a curveball on that one.

A damned curveball that is. Not a bad detraction from the old formula but not really good one considering the storyline are worse from BW.
Whether or not they take the old route and or continue BW2 likes, I'll hope they really their best with the game without taking much past feature only to add it into later version. That's disgusting.

Er....I guess we will have our Gen 3 remake this time right? RIGHT?

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
No I wouldn't say so. I don't have a 3DS at the moment but that's not stopping me. I'll be doing everything I can to get enough money to buy a 3DS. Looking for a job immediately when I get on tomorrow and I'm even willing to sell a few things (maybe even my old DS). The DS is a dying system and it needs to go now as sad as that seems. Pokemon are a very popular franchise, second most selling next to Super Mario Bros, and the fanbase is still large and growing. So I have no doubt that people will make the transition over to 3DS.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
Can you come up with a really good reason as to why they would come out with another DSi title?

No, not really, making it for 3DS makes the most sense, but it still sucks for people who can't/don't want to afford it. I'll probably end up getting it in a year or so when it's cheaper.

Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2016
I find this disappointing. The 3DS has been a major turn off. I have tried the 3DS and do not like playing with the 3D turned on as after a very short time it causes me to have a headache. I have been avoiding the 3DS, and the only reason I will likely buy it will be because I want to continue playing my favorite franchise.

I also think that many parents of younger kids that play Pokemon games likely have not bought their children 3DS's because of the safety warnings about the 3D being bad for the eyesight of anyone under 7... As a parent myself I wouldn't buy the system for ANY child because of that (Yes I know there is parental controls for that, but every kid finds a way to work around parental controls eventually).

I have felt all along that the 3D effect in a handheld is more of a novelty than anything that adds any actual game play functionality. If a game publishers wants to impress me, I want good solid game play, a good solid story, fun challenges to overcome. The Pokemon franchise has continued to keep me interested in gaming since Red/Blue, and keeps getting better with time. There is only one 3DS title I have seen that I had any interest in prior to this announcement, so in the long run I'll be purchasing the system just for a very few games (The other game is in the Proffessor Layton series, which I don't see justification for making that a 3DS title... and it was a launch title in Japan).

Years
No, not really, making it for 3DS makes the most sense, but it still sucks for people who can't/don't want to afford it. I'll probably end up getting it in a year or so when it's cheaper.

This was what I was getting at. I know it has been out for a while, but people who, like Yoshikkko said, people who actually can't afford it or don't want to buy it, then it is difficult on them.​

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Age 22
  • Nah
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017
I think they will still release games to the DS lite,DSI and DS XL. Nintendo only wanted the game to be CLEARLY 3D because they want to make it cooler. CAN't WAIT FOR THE GAME! That 3D world looks amazing!

Years
Well, this game is just for the 3DS, so I can't see them going backwards and start releasing games for the previous versions, when they completely ignore them for this game! :O​

Years
This was what I was getting at. I know it has been out for a while, but people who, like Yoshikkko said, people who actually can't afford it or don't want to buy it, then it is difficult on them.​

Yes but October is almost a year away and like I mentioned earlier, they are likely to reduce the price of a 3DS console by that time, which I think will make it affordable to most people. As for people who do not want to buy a 3DS console, well then fair enough but things are moving forward and Pokemon -like all other Nintendo games will eventually be made exclusively for the 3DS and there's really no stopping that. Besides if you look back, it used to be that each Pokemon game released would be for a new hand held console and that didn't stop people from playing them. The DS has had three different sets of Pokemon games for it, which has given people even more time to acquire a 3DS in preparation for X and Y.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
Well, counting with inflation and other economics factor, by October, aren't 3DS price would be at the same range as DS when Gen IV first released?
I thought wouldn't be much of the problem actually. Its just people hesitation to buy new handheld that matter the most.

Years
Yes but October is almost a year away and like I mentioned earlier, they are likely to reduce the price of a 3DS console by that time, which I think will make it affordable to most people. As for people who do not want to buy a 3DS console, well then fair enough but things are moving forward and Pokemon -like all other Nintendo games will eventually be made exclusively for the 3DS and there's really no stopping that. Besides if you look back, it used to be that each Pokemon game released would be for a new hand held console and that didn't stop people from playing them. The DS has had three different sets of Pokemon games for it, which has given people even more time to acquire a 3DS in preparation for X and Y.

Yeh, that is certainly true.
I think they will do just fine and there are over 10 months till the release date, so anything could happen then; a Pokemon X and Y 3DS to celebrate the release even.

I think Pokemon isn't going to die at all, but some people will be reluctant, of course.​

Well, counting with inflation and other economics factor, by October, aren't 3DS price would be at the same range as DS when Gen IV first released?
I thought wouldn't be much of the problem actually. Its just people hesitation to buy new handheld that matter the most.

I think the price will have dropped a bit by then, anyway. So maybe it just seems like a lot now, to people who are only interested in the Pokemon game. There are still 10 months for exciting games to be released.​

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
it was inevitable, I'm glad I got a 3DS XL. Got a job partially for that reason haha. And to all those who said they'd nevedr have 3D sprites, ha.

Years
Agreeing so much with Drakow, as well as others who firmly believe that people have been kind of given more than enough time to purchase a 3DS.

And honestly, in my opinion? Most people should've saw this coming! Pokemon games aren't going to be released on the DS system forever, and even I was skeptical about getting a 3DS myself, when instead I just got it and figured that a Pokemon game was going to be released for it eventually, and look what we have here!

Just saying that no one should really be surprised here. You still have a good 8 or 9 months to save up if you want to get it at launch, so that's even more additional time to get a new system.

I apologize if this post might seem a bit blunt, but I just heavily dislike wasted opportunities, as I just believe that's something no one should really go through. Sure, there might be a few people here and there that can't really spare $150, but even then, there are some used ones(and even this one I found right here on Amazon. There's also one here on ebay for cheap, also) that sell for significantly lower than that.

It's a fair shame that it might catch some people off guard, and thus they might have the purchase the 3DS console(and let's be fair, it's not that bad of a system from my experience), but I feel that it'll be worth it in the long run.

Yeah, it is a fair enough post. If someone really wanted the game, but couldn't afford a new 3DS, you could get a second hand one. Granted, some people don't like doing that, but there are ways to get your hands on one. Just one more valid argument for one side.​

Back