• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Thunder and Thunderbolt

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
This isn't a discussion on which you like better, it's a discussion about a glitch present in generation III games. Basically in R/S, rarely when you use the moves Thunder or Thunderbolt the games might freeze during the animation. In FR/LG/E it is more likely the sound of the move will just freeze and will keep on playing till you turn off your game. So have ou ever experienced this glitch? If so, where? Did it put you off using these moves?

Discuss

Spr_3r_257.png

So fiery~

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I think long ago, T-bolt got me, or at least, it messed up my sound quality. But I've never had the game freeze because of them. I don't like Thunder, but I love T-Bolt and it's too good of a move for a rare glitch to keep me from using it.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
I use Thunderbolt often, but I don't recall coming across such a glitch. I'm not going to stop using Thunderbolt over that. I also often have animations turned off. After going through the game at least 20 times, I know what every animation looks like and I want to save some minutes of my life, haha.

Years
Even though I did use an Electric-type on my team (a Manectric in my case) I didn't even bother having her use Thunderbolt/Thunder since her Spark was apparently doing enough anyway, but I was still a noob to Pokemon games back then.

I wasn't even aware of this glitch until now, but at least it won't stop me teaching Thunderbolt to my good Electric-type attackers. I even did have animations turned off for part of the game, so it didn't really bother me.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
I give Thunderbolt to every one of my electric Pokemon, and I always play with animations on, and I've never had this glitch happen to me. Even though this is the first time I've heard of it. Still, I'll keep using Thunderbolt. I find it just too good of a move to give up.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I've never had the game freeze when using one of these moves, but now that i think of it, i sometimes thought Thunder sounded strange when using it...i guess now i know why. I would never put off using T-Bolt though, absolutely love that move!!

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Some whirring sound used to come for me in FR/LG, which would last until I turned it off xD. In R/S/E, my friend had it, but not me, cuz I never payed much attention to electric moves except for my Kyogre. (Kyogre + Thunder = Water types' instant finish xD)

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
Oh that what is was, I did have this happen when my Raichu Angela used Thunderbolt. I had no idea it was a glitch and released her after turning the game back on. I though she was hacked as my friend gave me her and he used an AR quite a lot.

No it did not put me off using thunder type moves.

Sirfetch’d

Hmmm I guess I learn something new everyday because I have never heard of this glitch, but now I am tempted to go and play and see if i can come across it.

Years
I remember first hearing about this glitch quite a long time ago, and I actually kept my Zapdos in my party for the longest time just to see if I could get it to happen, but no such luck. I think it was just out of curiousity like the Missingno. glitch in R/B and any cloning glitches in that they're fun to try, but wouldn't keep me from using them.

Anti

return of the king
Years
This glitch has happened to me twice (both against a trainer's Carvanha/Pelipper around the Abandoned Ship area) though it's definitely rare since I have well over 1000 game hours in my time playing RSE and that's the oddly time it has ever happened. I just hope it never happens in the Battle Frontier...

Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Sep 11, 2017
This has never happened to me, and my Pikachu always has to have both moves, though they are redundant. Maybe I've just been lucky.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I've only had it happen to me in Emerald. And in Emerald, it has only happened like twice. The first time I was battling Juan and I got my Lanturn to use Thunderbolt. I was scared that I broke my game. The glitch isn't enough to stop me using it though. The move are too good.

Back