• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

NaNoWriMo: 2011!

Are you doing NaNoWriMo this year?

• YES!

Votes: 20 74.1%
  • May try a smaller/different target (e.g. 25,000 words, 10,000 words)

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • NO!

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Another year, another Nano! But will you be participating in it this year or not? Or maybe a compromise? (Myself? Hahahahahaha... important uni exams strongly suggest no. Yet ideas/current fic say yes. Why november, why?)

As for what Nano is: it's a challenge in which you try to write a 50,000 word-long story within the month of November. You can check out more on the official site.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Its sort of a good thing that November isn't much of a busy month for me, so yeah, I'd be able to join. I've still got just a gist of what I would write, but I've yet to plan the flow of the story. Gah, I don't want to end not finishing this...unlike my one thousand words handwritten essay. ):

My story will have a futuristic sci-fi sort of thing. :3

Cutlerine

Gone. May or may not return.
Years
Despite having known about it for a long time, this'll be the first year I enter. I shouldn't think it'll pose too much of a problem; as anyone who reads my stuff will surely know, I write a lot very quickly. If I can do the Three-Day Novel contest (which I also entered for the first time this year), then I don't doubt that I can write fewer words in ten times the time. The question is not whether I'll hit 50,000 words, but whether I'll finish the story; I'm no good at writing short fiction.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Online now
I'm thinking of doing NaNo, but cheating a bit. I have so many stories that I haven't finished that it would be better to use this challenge to finish them, rather than starting a new one. Or, if not actually finishing one, then getting closer to finishing it.

Charlie Kelly

King of the Rats
Years
I'm thinking of doing NaNo, but cheating a bit. I have so many stories that I haven't finished that it would be better to use this challenge to finish them, rather than starting a new one. Or, if not actually finishing one, then getting closer to finishing it.
I'm planning on "cheating" too. I've had this story rolling around in my head for years, this seems like a good excuse. I've never seriously written more than a 1 page pre-prologue and that will definitely not be re-used, so... I guess that's not even really cheating. I've never gotten more than 2 days into NaNo without something coming up and distracting me from writing for well over a week.

Bay

Years
I pretty much will also use this year's NaNo by finishing a couple of my fics. One I actually just need two or three chapters left and another I have a vague idea of the plot but I still need to brainstorm a bit.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
This is the first year I heard of NaNoWriMo, and any other writing competition. I'm thinking of doing this story that I just wrote a few lines, not much, so it doesn't matter. Cheaters :P

Though the real challenge for me is that I was never able to write that much without quieting, lets hope it doesn't happen now, because I do want to become an author in the future.

Years
I'm surprised a thread for this year's NaNoWriMo is made.

Anyway, I'm counting down the days until November 1st comes. There is already talk of a NaNoWriMo get-together in my town and since I have a portable stand alone word processor, I might go to it.

Fuyu

The answer is at the top...
Years
  • Age 29
  • Home
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
I've got my story! XD I just hope it'll make through to that long. XD

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
I've mostly got everything laid out to start work on immediately but gosh this is so intimidating. ;; I can't even finish fics. .__. But I shall try! I'm doing fantasy involving parallel worlds~

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years
I am . . . doing it, despite my better judgement. I have a sequel to last year's novel lined up, which basically means I've written 82,000 words of backstory before November even begins. I reckon that should make things easier. I know where the story is going too, for a change. This could be an awesome year, but I am going to have to worry about exams again (as I do every damn November).

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
This thread is the first thing I have ever heard about the existence of such a thing lol. It does sound intriguing, but it's something I could never do. The one-month limit is a little stifling for me, and that'd just add stress onto an already-busy life.

I do have ideas though... I always have ideas.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
This might sound like a stupid, mercenary question... but is there a prize for the best story or something? Or is it mainly a purely creative idea designed to get people writing and thinking about literature and stuff?

Both sound good, but I'm a little bit confused as to whether this is a competition or not.

Years
This might sound like a stupid, mercenary question... but is there a prize for the best story or something? Or is it mainly a purely creative idea designed to get people writing and thinking about literature and stuff?

Both sound good, but I'm a little bit confused as to whether this is a competition or not.
Your prize for finishing is getting to edit your 50,000-or-more-word novel. ;) It's all for the challenge, or, if you're like me, to give yourself more focus with a daily word count goal.

I'll enter again. I should have all time I need this year so I have no excuse for not finishing like last year. D:

Years
  • Age 37
  • Online now
To add on to Scarf's post, the only competitions for NaNo are those thought up by the members themselves. For example, there are competitions where members get together and see just how much they can type in a certain amount of time.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years

I do believe the novel does get published too, though Im unsure of that. I think its manly just for fun.
There are also other more smaller competitions with $$ for prizes. :3

Years
  • Age 37
  • Online now

I do believe the novel does get published too, though Im unsure of that. I think its manly just for fun.
It's just for fun actually. One can publish their novel once they finish and have it edited, but the NaNo officials don't really help with that aside from advice.

Years
There really is no real prize for completing 50,000 words during NaNoWriMo. It's more of the feeling of accomplishment is writing that much in just one month. If anybody does want to have their novel published, the site does have a few publishers they have partnered with to get a person's novel made.

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
Years
Now that my life has calmed down somewhat, I'm going to have a go at NaNoWriMo. It'll be my first time trying it, but I think it'll be good for me to make myself have a target. It'll improve my discipline for sure. I kind of have the skeleton of a plot (for a series rather than a specific novel, however) so I'll work towards that.

There's also the matter of a fanfic that needs my desperate attention.

Back