• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Has 3D changed your opinion of any old pokemon? (Part II)

Years
So, after I did my research I found this thread http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=310161&highlight=3D+Models but no one has posted in 30 days so I am making the Part II of this thread! :)

Some Pokemon changed a lot now that they are in 3D. I love the fact that flying types are actually flying now and all but I don't like some of the designs.

For example, Pidgeotto. I don't like how they designed its body.

What about you? Discuss :)

(this is the first thread I am posting I feel a little bit awkward :3c )

Years
  • Seen Dec 18, 2014
I don't like some animations. I don't like how Charizard swats his tail at the opponent for Wing Attack, or Tropius's idle animation.

Last edited:

KostK2Boss

Europe Confirmed!!!
Years
I used to be very indifferent towards Archeops. His B/W sprite looked like it was trying way too hard to make an intimidating face. When I first saw his X/Y model in-game though, I fell in love with the chubby, derpy bird that can barely stay airborne. An intensionally derpy Pokemon is much better than a Pokemon that tries to look cool but fails, imo.
Also, Sableye's twitching (he is now officially a psycho).
I can't really think of a model I particularly dislike. I guess I could nitpick about how thin Alakazam's moustache looks, but that's pretty much it.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I don't like some animations. I don't like how Charizard swats his tail at the opponent for Wing Attack, or Tropius's idle animation.

Agreed. Some animations don't look quite right. But what are you gonna do? They had to program several animations for 720ish Pokémon.

I am glad Hyper Beam makes the sound it did in Gen 2 (and looks a bit better now too). It made the best sound. I just hope that Aeroblast follows suit and makes the same sound it did in Gen 2 as well. And Flamethrower looks fantastic.

I also wanna see what most of the legendaries' signature moves look and sound like this gen. But gotta wait for PokeBank.

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
Years
  • Age 44
  • D.C.
  • Seen Apr 20, 2024
I never let my Fletchinder evolve since I didn't like the Talonflame graphics.... it's level 100 now, so too late if it looks better in the next game :) It's not IV stellar, or anything, so no loss really.

EDIT: Oh, old Pokemon... erm... of the ones we can see so far, I'm a little disappointed with Zangoose. I never had a problem with the tail in older versions; Perhaps because I couldn't see it all before. The jagged look irks me.

I did notice that Kangaskhan throws a punch when it uses its Bite attack... that's a little weird :/

Last edited:

Leo the Lion

Too many sexy people in this world, all of them fi
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 16, 2016
Greninja moves a bit weird when it´s attacked sometimes. He just goes into a naruto pose and jumps a bit.

Years
  • Seen Nov 29, 2018
I love Swoobat but one of the things that bugged me in the previous games was how bad its battle sprites were. He looks really great in 3D, which is great for me as one of the few who like using him. The Eeveelutions all look wonderful, as do the majority of the other older Pokemon. There are a few that are a little bit disappointing, but for the most part I am happy with the way they turned out.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
It kinda bothers me how flying pokemon don't have standing animations. Some of them look weird hovering over the ground like Skarmory and Tropius.

I also realised that Barboach has two small eyes and a mouth. Ever since Sapphire I've believed his mouth was an eye.

There's been countless moments of realisation while looking through the pokedex. There's loads of little quirks you don't really notice until you're rotating their model in the pokedex. For example I was shocked to see Fearow had a big white patch of fur/feathers on its back.

Also Bellossom has no legs D:

Last edited:

Outlier

Not really but it's changed my mind on how some of the new pokemon sprites looked when they were first released to the public. Still think they could have done a better job with the new pokemon this gen.

Years
When I first saw Eelektross in B/W I was like "That's one huge eel", and then when I saw it's 3D model I was like "It's THAT small?" Not to mention it's thin as well compared to his B/W sprite

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
Yeah, Sableye's a creepy little dude. xD

I can't really think of an alternative way they could have done this, but it kind of bothers me how fish Pokemon just hover and "swim" in the air during battles.

Also, Salamence does not flap its wings to stay in the air. I wish they just had him standing, he looks kind of silly just hovering with his short legs dangling.

Edit: Oh, just remembered another (kind of dumb) one. I don't know why, but I always thought that in the Polywag family, the swirl was the mouth, and I thought the little red mouth on Polywag was a nose - it just blew my mind when I saw its animation, with it opening the real mouth. I don't know why I kept thinking the swirl was a mouth, I already knew that it was supposed to resemble the visible intestines of tadpoles, but every time I look at a Polywag, I just think it has a really big mouth.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Mar 30, 2014
3d pokemon is a lot better than sprite pokemon, in some aspects. Just the richness the 3d models provide makes going back to playing older gen games and seeing pixel sprite pokemon just so...bleh. However, some o the pokemon animations in 3d, as others have said, also feel meh.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
Archeops was definitely not what I expected haha. And Cofagrigus, idk, it just looks odd when its all bulgy. It's cool to see like Slugma and non-solid Pokemon in 3D though, like we did in Colosseum or Stadium.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Feb 11, 2015
Really like the animations. Flamethrower coming out of Charizard's mouth, Delphox using the tree branch for attack, pokemon with tails shaking their tails for tail whip, and zigzagoon running around madly before attacking.
Downside is that X and Y has littlr post game stuff to do, other than IV training and getting shinies and that pathetic Looker's mission.

s0nido

turn up the engine
Years
I thought Vaporeon's older sprites made it look gorgeous, but the 3D model in Pokemon X/Y makes it look...lame? I don't know, the way that its tail just lays there when its idle puts me off. To avoid adding to all the negativity and complaining towards the 3D models, let me just say that they all look incredibly detailed, and Pokemon has never looked this amazing before. I prefer 3D models to 2D sprites, anyway, and none of the 3D models look hideous, so I can excuse the few inconsistencies.

Back