• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Best HM move

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 19, 2021
My favorite is Surf; it's just a great move on and off the battle field! :) It's powerful enough to do some good damage to opponents and then you get to swim around in the ocean. :D Fun, fun, fun!

Sirfetch’d

I guess Surf, but it was a heck of a lot better before it hurt your Pokemon in a double battle.

Last edited:

mikey

Discord Lead
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
No guys, Fly is the best. You can go anywhere, surf can't get you across the region!

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
It's either Surf (for special-based pokemon) or Waterfall (for physical-based pokemon) if you're talking about in-battle usage. Both powerfully 100% accurate moves. (Unless it's in a double/triple battle; Waterfall takes first place.)

For out-of-battle usage, I think Surf is very useful. It enables you to reach areas only accessible by the waterways (for example, an island in the middle of a body of water). Who knows? You might find a rare TM there, or an item you really want.

Bleacher

Chaos Worshipper
Years
  • Seen Aug 31, 2013
Surf would be the best HM move IMHO, strength coming next.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I like Surf the best. Waterfall is good too and Fly is alright. Defog is the absolute worst, though. At least Flash lowered accuracy. But lowering evasiveness? That's...random. And when you'd need to lower that, I mean, you probably wouldn't be able to hit the other Pokemon anyway cause it's evasiveness is too high and you're better off attacking. Even worse is that you practically NEED to use this HM in the fog, otherwise you'll be wasting PP in all the battles because you'll keep missing. Way to annoyingly be useful out of battle. v_v

Wateria

The cute team Aqua member
Years
My favorite 3 HMS are

3: Fly because If I am feeling lazy I can just use this move to quickly get to town.
2: Waterfall: I just love climbing up those waterfalls.
1: Surf: It get me to unreachable areas with using a cheat.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Surf and Fly are the best HMs, IMO. Surf is not only useful in the field, but in battle as well. While people don't use Fly in battle often competitively, it's still useful for getting to other places quickly.

#isthenumbersign
Years
Rock smash anyone?

On a more serious note, I like Surf. It's not just the best HM, but probably one of the best moves of all time. Just saying.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
Surf is the best special water type move in the game. Hydro Pump is too luck based. Waterfall is the same for physical water type moves. Aqua Tail is 'better', but it's accuracy is stupid.

Princess Diana

the people's princess
Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
I use Surf and Fly mostly. I don't think I ever choose them for my team, but I keep them for practicality and they aren't half bad.

Years
I would have to agree with the majority and say that Surf is the best. It's probably the only HM I actually use in battle, and it's a lot more useful than some of the other HMs outside of battle, too.

Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2012
I think it's hard to determine which HM is the "best" because the effectiveness of the HM depends on a battlers circumstances. Although the HM "surf" seems like the best HM because it is the most powerful and has a 100% accuracy rate, the move surf would hardly do any damage to a grass or electric type pokemon. Furthermore, the move surf would not be the best option in a double battle if you have two pokemon on your side. Although the move "surf" would inflict damage upon both of your enemies' pokemon in a double battle, the move would also harm your second pokemon. Assuming that you desire a strategic move with damage-dealing prowess, I believe that the HM Fly is your best option. When dealing with worthy opponents, naturally you would encounter moves of a higher caliber; moves such as SOLAR BEAM. In order to evade these powerful moves, you can use the HM Fly. Allow me to explain how you can do this. When your enemies' pokemon is charging for attacks such as solar beam, razor wind and sky attack; you can instruct your pokemon to fly into the air thus skillfully avoiding a potential K.O. Not only is Fly helpful in battles, it also allows for fast transportation. If you want to go to Pallet Town to visit your mom, why would you surf there when you could hop on the back of your favorite flightless-bird-inspired pokemon Doduo. That trusty steed.

If anyone has any feedback on what I said, please feel free to respond

Last edited:

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
Surf. Only Surf. Great in battle and a necessary move to get farther in the game. Fly isn't necessary to, but is awesome to have. It's decent in battle too even if it takes two turns. So 1) Surf and 2) Fly.

Worst has to be Defog. That is quite possibly the dumbest move they ever created through Gen 4. And they made it an HM. For no reason.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
Surf, the only HM that I will keep for any battle worthy Pokemon because its somewhat decent in battle.

o Pikachu o

Pikachu
Years
Waterfall and Surf are the best HM's. Surf is good for special attackers and waterfall is good for physical attackers. Fly is also good because it lets you fly anywhere.

Back