• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mismagius and Rampardos Errors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Mar 22, 2010
My son purchased some booster packs of the platinum rising rivals set.

He pointed out that his Mismagius card 10/111 has a picture of Rampardos and the Rampardos 11/111 card he got has a picture of Mismagius.

Are these common errors?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Sep 10, 2015
I have heard of this once before, on another forum. Out of curiosity, did they both come in the same pack? I'm not sure if the other person's did or not, but it would be interesting to know. It's not a common error really, I would say to check if they were fake but the fact that it's happened to someone else as well drastically narrows those odds. The weird thing about this error is that there are two cards involved, I can't even think of another instance where it wasn't just a one-card error. I would suggest to keep them for now, the set is still fairly new and I'm sure this misprint will come to light sometime soon.
For the sake of everyone's curiosity, do you have photos of them you could post?

Years
  • Seen Mar 22, 2010
Yes both cards came form the same pack. He opened 3 other packs and didn't see anything unusual.

I've attached a photo of the 2 cards. Lets see how it works.

Years
  • Seen Mar 22, 2010
Interesting. He's got several more unopened packages that were purchased at the same time and from the same box. Why would anyone fake entire packages of pokemon cards? That lucrative to sell packs of fake cards?

Years
Was it in official Pokemon Company wrapping? 'Cause if it wasn't, then there's no guarantee that any of the cards are real. And yes, it can be that lucrative because of parents of kids who collect/play who have no idea how to tell what is real and what is fake.

And another dead giveaway is if there is no accent over the "e" in Pokemon anywhere it says Pokemon on the card.

Years
  • Seen Mar 22, 2010
Well in the 40 cards my son has also pointed out a Banette 1/111 with the wrong picture and a Seedot 28/111 that he says has some wrong numbers. It's not looking real good.

Years
  • Seen Mar 22, 2010
Either the cards we bought are vertually all error cards or they are bad fakes. Thanks for the help!

Think I'll be heading back to that store.

Years
Either the cards we bought are vertually all error cards or they are bad fakes. Thanks for the help!

Think I'll be heading back to that store.

Those definitely are bad fakes. I've seen hundreds of higher quality fakes made solely for artistic purposes on this site's Fake Cards section.

In the future, look for The Pokemon Company's official logo on the pack/booster box.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Sep 10, 2015
Ooook, well even though it's basically been said, yes those are really really fake-looking. The energy symbols are a dead giveaway, as is the font of the cards. It's hard to tell if you havn't seen that many, but the font is off from the normal style of Pokemon cards. I thought it was odd because I'd heard about others just like this somewhere else, but there must be a few of them out there. Where did you buy these? If they weren't from either a large franchise-type store like Wal-Mart or a shop that specializes in hobbies, then you do run the risk of receiving fakes. Take Donavannj's advice and look for the official Pokemon logo on the wrapping, and if you buy booster boxes they should always be unopened with this wrapping still on them. Sorry your son's cards didn't work out, it's always disappointing to find a pack of fakes. I'm sure if you take them back and make a big enough deal they will refund you, no one likes to be called out on their fraudulency.
For future reference, if you're unsure of a card's authenticity, just go to this site:
http://pokegym.net/tower/
and type in the name of the card. You can compare your card to the scan, and see if they match up. If you do this with these cards, you'll see that the energy symbols are different and be able to tell they're fakes.

Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2010
Interestingly, my daughter just got a pack of cards with the same mixed up Rampardos/Mismagius. I have the wrapper from the pack in front of me and it looks authentic to me - has the Pokemon logo on the front and all the copyright info in the back. If I get a chance, I will scan the front and back of the wrapper so you can tell me what to look out for.

While the new cards look pretty genuine to me, once I compared cards from the new mismagius pack alongside one of the cards from an authentic pack side by side, the differences are clear. The picture on the "fake" almost looks like it was printed on an inkjet printer at some point -- the pic on the back of the cards is kind of pixellated, compared to the pic on the authentic card. The fonts are different and there are a lot of typos in the text on all the cards in the fake pack. The card stock on the fakes is a little thinner and flimsier than the authentic cards as well. But if I hadn't found this thread out of curiousity re: the mixed up rampardos/mismagius pics, I never would have suspected anything (well, maybe all the typos would have eventually clued me in...).

I have a hard time believing it's really worth it to someone to fake pokemon cards, of all things. I guess you learn something new every day! Oh well, my daughter isn't a serious collector and probably won't care either way. Thanks for the helpful thread!

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Yeah, my mom bought me some packs last Christmas that looked extremely authentic, but the cards inside were obviously not. I couldn't tell so much as first while I was sitting in the dark, but I did realize that the holo card in each pack was in the back and turned the opposite way of the other cards (face down). Also, the holo cards were usually damaged, which originally lead me to believe the packs were resealed. However, then I go to looking at the cards included in each pack. Most of them were rare, so I basically knew at that point they were fake. I went to a lighter room and evaluated the cards some more. This is when I noticed that the energy symbols were bloated, there were typos on many of them, and the fonts were off. Also, some of the cards had the holo dots in the background but were not reflective. The cards that were holo were too shiny. Most of these cards lacked the accent above the e in Pokemon. Finally, even though I knew for sure these were fake, I gave them the light test. I could see right through them.

In my experience, you are most likely to get these type of cards when shopping at a Dollar store of some kind (where everything is $1). Official Booster packs will usually run you about $3. However, in the past, official Pokemon cards could be found for only $1, but that was years ago. I really miss those days. But there is definately no guarantee that even those more costly are real. In fact, most of those Legends blisters at Wal-Mart (the ones that include 2 or so booster packs + bonus, pre-opened, cards) often include cards that will fail the light test.

PokeHumanManectric

Leader of the PMD Team
Years
They were fake. The energy symbols were weird, the colors were switched, and they were both rare, but neither were Reverse Holo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back