• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Luckiest moments on Pokemon X and Y?

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
LUCKY:
I got a shiny...

UNLUCKY:
Hippopotas.

449.gif

Normal
449.gif

Shiny

Years
I've been pretty lucky as far as shiny Pokemon go (I've caught about 17 unique shinies so far and evolved a couple: Charizard and Rapidash), but today I think I feel the luckiest! :)

This afternoon, I caught a shiny female Ponyta in a friend safari (my second shiny female Ponyta, the first of which I caught yesterday). Then later on, as I was horde battling on route 12 to level her up and evolve her into a Rapidash, I ended up encountering and catching my very first horde shiny (a male Wingull)! A little while later, I evolved my shiny Ponyta into a shiny Rapidash and not more than 5 horde encounters after that, I encountered and caught a shiny Mareep (which is what I've been hunting for on route 12)! The only unlucky part? The Mareep is male (I wanted a female). >.>

I'm pretty excited about these two horde shinies, as they are my first shinies outside of the friend safari! I will just have to keep hunting for that shiny female Mareep! ;) I have hope now that it will happen! :)

Terff

the unimportant
Years
I've been pretty lucky as far as shiny Pokemon go (I've caught about 17 unique shinies so far and evolved a couple: Charizard and Rapidash), but today I think I feel the luckiest!

This afternoon, I caught a shiny female Ponyta in a friend safari (my second shiny female Ponyta, the first of which I caught yesterday). Then later on, as I was horde battling on route 12 to level her up and evolve her into a Rapidash, I ended up encountering and catching my very first horde shiny (a male Wingull)! A little while later, I evolved my shiny Ponyta into a shiny Rapidash and not more than 5 horde encounters after that, I encountered and caught a shiny Mareep (which is what I've been hunting for on route 12)! The only unlucky part? The Mareep is male (I wanted a female). >.>

I'm pretty excited about these two horde shinies, as they are my first shinies outside of the friend safari! I will just have to keep hunting for that shiny female Mareep! I have hope now that it will happen!
Recently found a shiny kecleon in a friend safari, that's bout it. But dang, you sound like you've had a nice streak of luck there o _ o

Years
Well If I came across this thread about an hour ago, I wouldn't of been able to think of anything. But about 20 minutes ago, I caught my first X and Y shiny (second shiny ever), a shiny Tauros. He has two perfect IVs in attack and speed but unfortunately he has a calm nature (+SpDef, -Attk)

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
Years
  • Age 44
  • D.C.
  • Seen Apr 20, 2024
Well If I came across this thread about an hour ago, I wouldn't of been able to think of anything. But about 20 minutes ago, I caught my first X and Y shiny (second shiny ever), a shiny Tauros. He has two perfect IVs in attack and speed but unfortunately he has a calm nature (+SpDef, -Attk)
Does it have Anger Point? If so, then it's not totally bad deal. Since it has a perfect attack IV, that should make up for it some. Just EV train it max HP and max Attack, so the Anger Point has plenty of opportunity to activate :)

Even if it doesn't have Anger Point, you could always get an Ability Capsule later and change it. Congrats on the shiny!

Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
The very same evening I was breeding Fennekins and Chespins with a particular Ditto, and within about 0 (I can't remember) Fennekins I got a Shiny one! Sadly neither parent had the nature I wanted so there was no Everstone used and it wasn't a useable pokemon. However, the Chespin I was breeding DID have a parent with a nature I wanted, and within (I think) FIVE eggs I got a shiny Chespin! AND it had the right nature so I'm still using him in my party

Nillemi

Under my Rock
Years
I traded a Ditto for an Eevee on the GTS.

It was Japanese with 5 Perfect Ivs in everything but Attack with it's HA.

Years
Recently found a shiny kecleon in a friend safari, that's bout it. But dang, you sound like you've had a nice streak of luck there o _ o

Well, it may be partly luck, but I have spent a few hundred hours shiny hunting in different friend safaris... XD

I'm normally not patient, but the thrill of finding a shiny is totally worth it! Plus, I watch shows and browse the internet while I do it, so I'm not bored. :P

I've watched shiny hunting videos on YouTube (mostly to see what a shiny might look like in-game) and some people are pretty dedicated, hunting with multiple game systems and copies of the game! XD

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
Years
  • Age 44
  • D.C.
  • Seen Apr 20, 2024
Shiny Magikarp on the 3rd cast of, what was to be, chain-fishing. Quickly fed her rare candy to evolve into Gyarados.

I'm a big fan of chain-fishing now. So easy :)

εcho.

The silver ninetales
Years
Luckiest moment was probably when I found a Ditto with 4 perfect IVs in the friend safari.

Also caught a shiny Dragonair in the fs and hatched a shiny Scyther (non-masuda method).

Years
How do people find shinies? Ive ndver found a single one in my entire poke career.

There's a few different ways in X & Y to find shinies. There's chaining with the PokeRaider, chain fishing, breeding with the Masuda method (aka breeding two Pokemon from different regions), horde hunting, and friend safari hunting.

I've been pretty successful hunting in the friend safari and, more recently, horde hunting. :) I've tried other methods, but I'm not very good at chain fishing (I tend to not have quick enough reflexes to catch the Pokemon on the line every single time) and my longest chain with the PokeRaidar is only like 9 or so.

Anyway, it just requires a lot of patience and perseverance! ;) I like to hunt while I watch shows on Netflix or YouTube so that I don't get bored just doing the same thing over and over in my game. I hunt while I read and sometimes while I cook. XD

X & Y is the first version where I've found a shiny! (My first was shiny Charmeleon in a friend safari)! The only other shiny I've ever gotten in any Pokemon game before X & Y was the shiny Gyarados that everyone can get in Gold/Silver. Now I have a bunch of shinies! :D

You can find video tutorials for shiny hunting on YouTube if you're unsure how to go about it. Good luck! ^_^

Back to the topic at hand... during my quest to find that elusive shiny female Mareep, I have been able to catch a shiny Miltank and a shiny Tauros! :) I'm pretty happy about that! I also have caught a second male shiny Mareep and a few more shiny Wingulls! XD Oh well! I won't give up that easily!

atomtanned

Delinquent
Years
  • Seen Oct 17, 2022
How do people find shinies? Ive never found a single one in my entire poke career.

It seems to be easier this gen for sure. I was lucky enough to get two shinies from eggs before Instacheck went down -- a Dratini and an Eevee (that I plan on evolving into Umbreon). I also found a shiny Grumpig in a Friend Safari totally randomly! I would definitely recommend running around in there, I've seen loads of people talking about the shinies they've found there.

I have only had one shiny before this generation, aside from the red Gyrados in the G/S/C/HG/SS storylines -- a shiny Rattata (womp) in FireRed. Once I've gotten my Dex complete in X, I plan on trying to breed using the Masuda method -- I've never tried it before.

Years
  • Age 41
  • Seen Jan 25, 2014
My luckiest moment was when I was EV training my Pokemon in attack and I found a shiny Gyarados!It was awesome!!!!

Years
  • Seen Jan 15, 2017
Randomly finding a shiny Marill while surfing in the very first surfable area. :)

BigSteve

Pokemon Bright Gold
Years
<p>managed to acquire Charmander very early on via wonder trade, got a wondertrade tepig and GTS'd for squirtle to complete my original starters for the team.</p><p> </p><p>I got a Cyndaquil on WT, Typhlosion is my HM slave, whilst blastoise carries surf and charizard has fly.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>my favourite has to be catching Yveltal in two throws......with a premier ball!!!</p><p>love premier balls, caught all my Ruby and Leaf Green legends with them (didn't do it in Diamond, which I had and also wish I hadn't got rid of diamond and all my old pokemon/legendaries.</p><p> </p><p>but yeah, Yveltal in a White ball is cool :) just want an FS to get a Charmander/meleon/izard shiny in a white ball so I can have black charizard Y now!</p><p> </p><p> </p>

damn my phone browser putting html all over!!!

Last edited:
Years
i'm gonna have to say my luckiest moments so far was running into my shiny Ivysaur in the friend safari XD caught it just now :3 also when i first heard about chain fishing i was really excited because i always wanted a shiny corsola. i got my shiny corsola on my very first attempt at chain fishing <3

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 10, 2020
Hatched a Clauncher after 11 eggs! (Wish I had the same luck on Froakie) And caught Mewtwo with my first Poké Ball in my X file. Didn't use capture power either.

Back