• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Too many dragons

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
First of all this isn't about the number of dragon pokemon in gen V.
Instead it's about having dragons as mascots again.
Was it a good idea to have dragon type mascots again?
If you could, what type would Reshiram and Zekrom and possibly Kyurem be if not part dragon?

Pwnyta Jockey

Bees Hate You, Pwnyta!
Years
Dragons are always a good thing. Good again? Not in my opinion. Those flying nimbus things are more my mascots.

Wish Zekrom could use Earthquake or Rock moves.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
Personally I'd rather have Dragon mascots again over having a Fire/Fighting for the third time in a row.

I'd have preferred Dark type and a Fighting Type as mascots. Too go along with Black and White named.

As for what type I'd prefer the dragons to be I'd still have them as but change their secondary typing to Light(if that was going to be in place which id didn't) and Dark. Then keep Kyurem how it is.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I would have made them Fire/Flying, Electric/Dark, and Ice/normal as they would still have fit the theme that way....but dragons are good
three fire/fire starters vs 7 dragon mascots...at least the dragons have a diffrent secondary type...

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
I'm fine with Dragon-type mascots. While yes, we have had a lot of Dragon mascots (Rayquaza, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina), I feel they are very fitting towards legend. Since Reshiram, Zekrom, and Kyurem are based on the concept of yin, yang, and wuji in Taoism, which is most common in China, I think Dragons are perfect to represent that.

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
Yes there is too many dragon mascots. Rayquaza, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Reshiram, Zekrom, (and possibly Kyurem).

Reshiram I thought would be a Light type, Zekrom a Shadow type. I didn't know about Kyurem then.

Now I'd say Reshiram as a Fire/Electric, Zekrom Dark/Electric, and Kyurem Ice/Electric.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
Years
Dragon types are supposed to be "mythical" and "elusive" (or somewhere along those lines), so I wouldn't be complaining if we had more dragon type mascots.

Rayce

Nooo0000OOB
Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
I personally have no problem that if pokemon feels that their legendaries must be so far above the rest of their pokemon(more so recently) they should be reflected as such with types that match that, psychic, steel and dragon immediately come to mind and guess what? Before generation 5 the legendaries were highly populated with psychic
(Mew, Mewtwo, Lugia, Celebi, Deoxys, Latias, Latios. They have even added Cresselia, Uxie, Mesprit, and Azelf. I don't know if there are any 5th genereration because I only know some)
As for Steel there is only Registeel, Heatran, and Dialgia.
In fact Flying has Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Lugia, Ho-oh, Rayquaza, Shaymin Sky Form and many of the powerful mascot pokemon like Salamance and Charizard.
Dragon has Rayquaza, Latias, Latios, Dialgia, Palkia, Garatina, and now Reshiram, Zekrom, and Kyurem. That's 9 to the 11 of psychic. Not to mention most of these pokemon are so strong if they weren't dragon it would be disappointing.

So I think there aren't to many dragons but I am giving those psychics a weird look now that I realize how many their are.

Raizhu

the end
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Feb 19, 2012
I like Zekrom and Reshiram, but I'm hoping that we won't see too many dragon mascots in the future.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Dragon types are one of the only types who fit into legendary status. So I don't care about the dragon mascots. Since they really only started when Emerald came out. Before that we had Water/Fire/Flying/Electric/Psychic/Ground. So it's not really that bad. \:

I'd probably make Reshiram Fire/Flying or Psychic. Zekrom, Electric/Dark and Kyurem Ice/Normal

Townes

Gentlemanly Hazard...
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 15, 2011
Introduce a new type for Reshiram because it's about time we had a clear opposite to Dark- i.e Light or something along those lines, and then fire because Fire is, in some religions, a precursor to purification.

I would have made Zekrom dark, of the concept of it being based on the negative side of the Tao symbol, I would attempt to name it but I'd probably end up offending someone, and Electric because of it's design.

As for Kyurem, I would have said Ghost, because Ghost is sort of an absence of life and an aura of mystery, which I think Kyurem is, and then for some weird reason I'm inclined to say the second type should be Rock, because it fell from a meteor and my brain's very hardwired to make snap decisions :/

Anyhow, I don't have too much of a problem with more Dragon Legendaries, because Dragons are thought of as mythical and legends themselves, so they're fitting as legendary Pokemon and mascots.

d4rkpnio

Blaziken Trainer
Years
well they shouda atleast made better pokemon like getting more eletric type not dragons o.o

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
If they were going to change the type from Dragon-type, the design would have to be different as well imo. The only way to work the dark/light thing in would be to make them Dark and Psychic, but I don't think I'd be comfortable with one being obviously more powerful than the other because of typings during the fight with N, unless they were caught without their signature moves, which is also something I'd dislike :P

But Dragons in the game are generally some of the best, most powerful, and most rare Pokemon to catch. This fits in perfect with legendary status, so having legendaries that are Dragon type again still works well imo.

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
Years
  • Seen Apr 25, 2016
There are quite a lot of Dragon mascots, but as others have said, it's not too annoying because Dragon makes a lot of sense for as a type for legendary Pokemon. Plus, Dragon mascots are still outnumbered by non-dragon mascots (9 to 6), so it's not too bad. That said, if the 6th gen games have Dragon mascots again I would start to get annoyed.

Years
I think Dragon type is rather appropriate for the Legendaries, and even though there are quite a few of them, there's a lot of variance in their design overall.

However, it'd be nice to see some different types getting more of a spotlight. I'd personally like to see a major Ghost type Legendary.

Back