• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Winter's Corner

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
^Correct.^
I'm not sure what she would want me to share, and I don't really feel comfortable sharing the reasons. But would a mod please lock this? :\

Winter Wonderland

Puts the fun in dysfunctional
Years
Hello, guys and gals. I'm back. n_n Winter's Corner will be up and running soon as I get to writing an article and can get in contact with my good friend, Mr. Full Metal. n_n
So.. What's new?! How have you guys expanded your own, personal hacking knowledge? Let me know!

Winter Wonderland

Years

Winter's Corner.
Third Edition - 1.1.2012

Intro.
Hi, hello! My name is Winter Wonderland and I'm here with the third edition of Winter's Corner! I went AWOL for a few months, but I'm back. So, in the spirit of moving on, I'll spare you the silly details about my departure and my return. So, without further ado. Here's Winter's Corner III.

What's New?
Ahh. Tools, tools, and more tools. But, how do we keep them together? Personally, I use a folder with all the tools I need(XSE, A-Map, etc.). However, not everyone is exactly awesome at keeping their files together. So, an alternative to Skydock which hasn't come out yet, Gamer2020 brings us the Game Editor V. 1.0. The tool essentially integrates almost every tool you'll need to hack the game(or edit, whatever you wanna call it.) Some of the tools included are XSE, Free Space Finder, a Pokedex editor, Advance Map, and Adv. Trainer.
Now, something rather extraordinary that my friend, Full Metal, pointed out to me was the 649 Ruby Patch by Chaos Rush. This is exactly what you think it would be. A patch that throws in EVERY Pokemon in existence so far into a Ruby ROM including the new moves and such. This would give the new hacks the ability to have a more diversified region on account of being able to have, instead of the almost 400 Pokemon, over 600.

Get excited.
There's a wonderful game out there, a remake of Crystal that's been around for a while. Namely, Pokemon Liquid Crystal. This is a hack of Fire Red made by linkandzelda and Zeikku which was dormant for a few years before they both returned with the beta 3.1 version released on Christmas. I discovered this upon my return to PokeCommunity. So, check that out. It's good for your soul.

You know what really grinds my gears?
Potential. Being. Wasted. EVERYONE on this forum should know EXACTLY what that is. Too many times is a GREAT hack started with all the potential in the world and too many is that same hack dropped due to a slight complication or a minor setback. Rome wasn't built in a day and Hitler didn't gain power immediately. As a matter of fact, Hitler failed at first. But, this only made him try harder. Granted he was evil, but he was great. Why you should behave any differently is beyond me. I get it "Oh, I just do this for fun." At least see your fun through to the end. This community wants a good hack, this community wants someone to feel the pride in a job well done. To often is the good idea tossed into the trash 'cause they gave JUST not enough. This has pretty much destroyed the reputation of the Progressing Hacks section. The Progressing Hacks is pretty much a wasteland of lost ideas and poor dedication. This is just a general statement, though. I know there are a few out there who genuinely try. Please, for the love of emulation, if you're gonna go ahead and commit to your project and post it online, don't disappoint everyone by quitting it at the first hint of difficulty.

Closing Notes.
This concludes the third edition of Winter's Corner. I know, I know. It was REALLY short. However, give me time. I've only just returned. Please, do NOT hesitate to post on here or VM me with ideas for future posts and let me know what you guys have been up to. I would absolutely love to hear about it. Well, until next time, guys. Take care, and Happy New Years. :)
Love,
Winter Sophia Kelly

CSS Layout by Full Metal. Don't take without permission.Copyright (C) 2012.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
At least I have something new to read.
I do love reading, and thank you for adding this thread in my menu. :P

Do keep it up~
I just finished reading all three editions.

Winter Wonderland

Years
At least I have something new to read.
I do love reading, and thank you for adding this thread in my menu. :P

Do keep it up~
I just finished reading all three editions.

No problem! I'm glad I've given you something new to read. :) Do you have any suggestions on improvement?

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
No problem! I'm glad I've given you something new to read. :) Do you have any suggestions on improvement?

Erm...
The only complain I have is that the latest one was too short, but you did gave a reason as to why it was short.

Anyway, That's enough from me.
I'm looking forward towards the next edition~

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
I disliked the part where you complained about people not finishing hacks any more. If someone doesn't find something fun any more they have every right to stop making it. In the end hacking is only a hobby and not a job so there's no written rule saying you HAVE to finish the hack. When you're creating a hack you don't owe anyone a finished version besides yourself. (imo)

Winter Wonderland

Years
I disliked the part where you complained about people not finishing hacks any more. If someone doesn't find something fun any more they have every right to stop making it. In the end hacking is only a hobby and not a job so there's no written rule saying you HAVE to finish the hack. When you're creating a hack you don't owe anyone a finished version besides yourself. (imo)

My beef isn't with people not finishing hacks. My beef is mainly with people just going "Oh, crap. ... slight complication? Well, looks like I'll never continue." I get that sometimes people just lose interest, but to quit when it gets a little tough irritates me. /: I'm sorry if I wasn't clear with the way I worded it.

Truality

Left for good
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 17, 2013
The last issue was still really good, though personally I'm not into hack hypes (like what happened with LC recently).

It's nice to have you back! Keep at it!

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
How could I have not seen this back in June? Anyways, I've enjoyed reading them, and I look forward to your next issue. Good luck! ;D

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
This should be stickied.           

M.L

Invisible
Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2017
Shot but loved it as always nice to see you back Yes i agree ^^ stickied is a good plan eh? xD

Winter Wonderland

Years

Winter's Corner.
Fourth Edition - 8.1.2012

Intro.
Hey, everyone! As I'm sure you know by now, I'm Winter, and this is Winter's Corner. Here, I bring you news, rants, reviews, and all sorts of things about PokéCommunity's ROM hacking section. So, here goes the fourth installment of my little thread. Here goes -epic music plays- Winter's Corner: IV

What's New?
So, we all know of the script editing tools XSE and PokéScript, right? Well, these tools are on the verge to be replaced. Darthatron had a new script editor in the works. So far, I know that it includes syntax highlighting and will be in either PokéScript or C-style. What do you want to see in this new script editing tool? Post your ideas and suggestions here.
Not only is there a new script editor in the works, there's also a new map editor being made by ZodiacDaGreat. Perhaps, the two tools will be integrated? This new map editing tool seems to be a lot more user-friendly than Advance-Map. Show your support and, as I've said about the scripting tool, leave your comments and your suggestions here. While there are new tools being developed for the 3rd generation, there's also some way being paved with the DS generations being edited. There's a thread in the toolbox called Nintendo Pokemon Rom Editor. This thread has a Pokemon DS editor made by pichu2000. With this, you can edit and save maps in D/P/HG/SS/B/W. Although this map editor is in its VERY early stages, it is a great thing to know that we are diving further and deeper into the DS hacking scene.

Help Wanted.
So, most of us know what the Orange Islands are, and for those who don't, they're the islands that Pokemon the movie: 2000 was set on(well, four of those islands, anyway). A lot of people have actually wanted a hack including these, and there haven't been many attempts that I've seen. There's a team thread that are going to take it upon themselves. Are you interested in helping? Well, you can sign up by clicking on this link to the Pia Carrot team thread! This game intends on having ASM hacking, a new spriting style, mini-games, and you can play as Ash Ketchum!
This section is relatively short. If you would like your team posted on here, simply VM or PM me. I'll be glad to help you get the help you're looking for.

Hack to look forward to.
There's this insane little creature on the face of this Earth that goes by the name of Cutlerine. He's pretty famous in our little community for creating Snakewood! This hack was set in the post-apocalyptic Hoenn region. Now, Hoenn's real trick master is back with the not-exactly-a-sequel to Snakewood, Pokemon Keratin! Cutlerine's even promised us that he'll try to insert as much insanity as was in Snakewood. Personally, I'm REALLY excited to play this one. Keratin features include five different storylines, four brand new Pokemon types, and "a shot of insanity laced with referential madness." Show your support for Keratin by posting on his thread. Everyone could use a little support. :)

ROM Hack I'm personally looking at.
Over the past week, I've been playing Pokémon Rose by Bela. This hack was a fun one to play and, as short as the beta was, entertained me a great deal. I absolutely loved playing it, and Marvelight City was just utter eye-candy. This game, I felt, could've been a little bit more challenging. The whole way through, I felt myself just blasting through every trainer, ending the beta with a level 37 Typhlosion. Also, one glitch completely turned me off the game because it stopped my gameplay(and I hadn't saved in a long time). Basically, some of the trash cans you can use tackle to fight Pokemon in(a la headbutt trees) will sometimes cause you to play as the trashcan, which got me stuck 'cause my own OW was impassable. So, other than that, the game itself was a decent one.

Closing Notes.
This would bring the fourth edition of Winter's Corner to a close. As always, please leave suggestions for future articles as I tend to run out of ideas quickly. Also, if anyone's interested, I have two projects(one in the heavy planning stages and one ready to be worked with). If anyone wants to help, simply leave me a VM or PM. So, VM/PM with suggestions and whatnot. See y'all next time. :)
Love,
Winter Sophia Kelly

CSS Layout by Full Metal. Don't take without permission.Copyright (C) 2012.

Back