• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
I'll turn down her offer about the iPad, because I've already bought most of my books.

Also, no way am I going to get a Chromebook at all.. those things just browse the web and do nothing more, really. I have my tablet for that. :P

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
It's probably smarter to save up the cash going towards an iPad Air for now seeing as you have a perfectly capable and usable smartphone-tablet-laptop combination right now. :)

Speaking of such combinations, I have a Nokia Lumia 525, a Microsoft Surface, and a Toshiba Satellite P840 right now. :)

You can kind of see how I like my model names simple.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Also, no way am I going to get a Chromebook at all.. those things just browse the web and do nothing more, really. I have my tablet for that. :P

I know right? Why get a Chromebook when you can basically do everything in a Chromebook right on your desktop? It's like the Chrome browser on a friggin computer. lol

Although at first I was thinking of getting one once I save some money from my first few paychecks for a laptop, but I realize that I need my photoshop and my Microsoft Word when I travel. So nooope :P

★Dark Soul Umbreon★

Totally not a furry
Years
Hey, at least we've found something worse than Apple products, am I right?

Cuz dem iPhones are turning into iCrap. Like Twiggy said, the Nokia Lumia 525 is better. (I compared features and judged them professionally, though the LG G2 sounds decent too.)

Last edited:

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
Da hate, lol. Chromebooks are pretty useful for what they do, and perform well for the price. And tbh I think the who web-only, minimal os like that is going to take off, heck Chromebooks have actually been doing really well. Better then Microsofts tablets. ;)
and Apple products arn't bad.

Maybe thats just me that I love everything that comes out, unless its Firefox OS, J. Fish OS, or crap stuff like that.

EDIT: I do have a question, I'm trying to replace a file, .dll to be exact. But everytime I drag it out of a .rar file (and even if I save it, or extract it) it says its no longer there in the temp files. What gives? I even tried different downloads, same result.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I've tried one of my friends' Chromebook last year, and really liked it. I know that it's made up of a web browser entirely, but it can do almost anything that Mac and Windows can. d:

Years
I'd really have to try a Chromebook for a while to see if I would like it or not, to be honest. But my opinion with Chromebooks is that they should not be getting priced at the same prices for Windows laptops. They don't have hard drives at all, so what would be the point in buying one for the prices they go for when you can buy a laptop with much more to it at a similar price?

If Chromebooks were less expensive, then that would be another story.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
Years
I've seen Chromebooks for cheap and thought about picking one up just to try it out (the tech geek in me wants to), but then I ask myself...why? They're barebones and can't run any programs, and basically you're just running Gmail apps.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Sometimes I do wonder why the heck high-end Chromebooks exist in the first place. They... make no sense.

SS01

#PoC Collab
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
Forgive me for changing the topic a bit, but I'm in the market for a GPU upgrade. Currently I run a 7750, but I'm looking to start playing things like Crysis and Skyrim, and I just doubt it's going to hold up. Going for the 150-250 range, my best option seems to be the R9 270 - anyone have any better ideas, or just comments in general? I don't mind going with an older model card if it means a better price to performance ratio.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Forgive me for changing the topic a bit, but I'm in the market for a GPU upgrade. Currently I run a 7750, but I'm looking to start playing things like Crysis and Skyrim, and I just doubt it's going to hold up. Going for the 150-250 range, my best option seems to be the R9 270 - anyone have any better ideas, or just comments in general? I don't mind going with an older model card if it means a better price to performance ratio.

Is it a Radeon HD 7750 or an ancient NVIDIA card? Card numbers can get confusing.

If it's the former, there's no need to upgrade unless you're seriously planning to play in 4K and high settings. The 7750 is perfectly fine.

If it's the latter, just splurge on the R9 270. Your games will thank you for it.

SS01

#PoC Collab
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
Is it a Radeon HD 7750 or an ancient NVIDIA card? Card numbers can get confusing.

If it's the former, there's no need to upgrade unless you're seriously planning to play in 4K and high settings. The 7750 is perfectly fine.

If it's the latter, just splurge on the R9 270. Your games will thank you for it.
The Radeon.

Once the setup is complete, the idea is to be playing stuff at 4K on one of those 27" IPSes. I seriously doubt the 7750 will be able to handle this, it already struggles at BF4 with my crappy 21" LCD. The R9 270 will be sufficient?

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
You have to have an 80 inch screen to tell the difference between 1080p and 4K. So what's the point?

SS01

#PoC Collab
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
You have to have an 80 inch screen to tell the difference between 1080p and 4K. So what's the point?

I was using 4K as a metaphor for just maxed out settings. I doubt I'd see much improvement from 4K on a 27".

Roybrus

Computer Programmer
Years
Personally, I'm not a fan of Chromebooks. I ended up being gifted one a few months ago (I ended up re-gifting it to my brother who happened to want one at the time), and honestly it was definitely not for me. As far as I'm concerned, it wasn't terribly useful, as I wasn't able to easily do many of the computing tasks I need to do regularly. I'm a programmer, and not being able to easily install IDEs or compilers on a computer is largely inconvienient. I'm not a fan of "online only" computing, I spend the majority of my day at my university where the wifi is poor, at best. For my money, I figure that I could buy a cheep netbook that can do almost (if not actually) everything the chromebook can do (it's mostly free, web-based software offered by Google and third parties), plus more, with identical performance, and similar price. I really don't see the point, or the appeal in owning a chromebook personally, (and once again, this is just from my perspective, your mileage may vary if you have different needs and/or expectations) other than the trendiness of it, but that's just me. If you're more experienced with chromebooks and think they have some fantastic qualities, feel free to share them with me, I'm open to all opinions, and I try to keep an open mind. I'm not trying to knock the Chromebook, if it works for you, and you think it's the cat's meow, cool, I'm quite happy for you, but it's definitely not for me.

Years
I remember how excited I was for Chrome OS to be coming out back when it was first announced, but never did I think that Chromebooks were going to be sold at the "high" prices that they're being sold for now.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I think I recall one time going into a Best Buy and I saw a Chromebook that was like $1,200 USD. Even the lowest-end MacBook Pro isn't that expensive.

The Chromebook Pixel makes the MacBook Pro look like it has good value. :3

Years
The Chromebook Pixel makes the MacBook Pro look like it has good value. :3
I think the Chromebook Pixel is the one I was referring to haha. But yeah, I would never waste my money on that thing ever :|

And in other words, seems like my fingers have quite adjusted to using my tablet's keyboard. I am able to type faster now with it and I am also making less mistakes too :)

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
I still struggle a bit with my tablet's keyboard xD I guess my hands are just BIG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back