• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] ★ // Binary Graphics & Art

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I don't have a preference. In the case of both Poliwags and Eevees I drew one of the Pokemon, realized that they're looking at nothing and simply tossed another one in so they're looking at something.

Years
The grey background suprisingly (to me) works quite well for the Poliswags. I would have thought a different shade of blue or something for water would be an appropriate background but the grey is quite nice. Makes me think of a dark, rainy day or something.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Ehhh might as well just dump these two pieces down. The USB cord that I use for my tablet also happens to be the cord that my sister and my mom also use to charge our phone (because we're absolutely terrible at not losing them well my mom is) so chances to draw haven't been that often this past week since my mom lost hers.

Now that random babble is done and over with here you go. They're not much and I didn't bother to throw them into photoshop but eh whatever they're drawings.

Sylveon:
Spoiler:

Victini
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I will agree, the Poliwags are indeed very nice. However, I think there's a lot to say about your more recent update as well.

First off, Sylveon. Let me say that I am absolutely, drop dead jealous of how well you can draw animal feet. Those little legs are so perfectly matched with the body, they line up perfectly with the "ground", and the individual toes are spaced immaculately. It may seem weird, but that's initially what attracted me to this piece. xD It's true though, I struggle so much with drawing animal legs/feet, so seeing Sylveon's anatomy drawn so well is a real treat. Next, it's obvious you're going for a more illustrative style as opposed to classic Sugimori, and I respect that. But there are a few things you can do to build on that a bit. For one, you're shading is a touch off. Not in a bad way since lighting/shading is interpreted differently in each piece (let alone each artist); but you have light hitting Sylveon from a bunch of different angles on the body, save the upper thigh. It's just something to be mindful of, not something that needs fixing. :)

Now, Sylveon's body seems to be angled odd compared to the angle of the face. Make sure you're drawing your guidelines while in the sketching phase, cause it'll prevent stuff like that from happening. Or it could just be that Sylveon's face is placed high on it's head. Again, just something to be mindful of. Speaking of which, I very much like how you decided to outline Sylveon with pinks and blues where appropriate. It gives the drawing much more visual appeal, in my opinion.

Overall, I very much like your new Sylveon piece, but I think we both know you're capable of much, much more. That said, as just a practice of new techniques and considering your tablet complications, I'm very impressed.

On to Victini! :D

Again, the body is drawn very well, but Victini's head looks so oddly placed on it. I can't tell you exactly why that is though. Maybe because the head/face is too small? I feel like Victini should have a head to body ratio of 3/2 (including ears). Anyway, I can say that I love the brush strokes you've decided to use on both pieces. It makes it feel authentic to you, which is something I feel is very important to an artist. Speaking of which, the shading on Victini's left.. thigh.. wing (thing???) seems blocky compared to the rest of the coloring. But you may not be completely done with this drawing, so pay it no mind if you're still working on it.

Overall, Victini feels a bit rushed to me, but there's nothing wrong with that at all. Heck, sometimes pressure is a great tool. xD But if you have the time, mood, ability, make sure you're thoughtful about every line while still keeping the bigger picture in your scope. You'll find that it makes for a better result.

Tara, I think you're progressing at a good level with your art and you have a lot to be proud of here. You're working hard and it's showing, although you may not always be able to see it. Don't forget to draw your guidelines and use references and, above all, don't forget to come to me if you feel like "something doesn't look right". I'm happy to help however I can. Just keep working at it!

okay looking back this post got waaaaayyy too long, sorry! <3

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
@Alexial - I already thanked you for your comments and critique but I have to thank you again sooo much. I see where you are talking about when it comes to Sylveon. I do recall having guidelines so I think it might be the neck and causing the head to be too high. Or I did my guidelines wrong haha. Either way I'll definitely keep it in mind next time.

Shading I always forget that I need to remember where exactly the light source is or I fail to make a light source to base my shading off of when I start so without a clear idea I end up having it all over the place. But I'll keep it in mind and try to remember to give myself a light source when I shade.

Victini's head bugs me for that very reason haha. Sadly, I'm not going to do anything more to that victini image but I will definitely keep the head and body proportions in mind for the next time I draw it. Overall, I wasn't too impressed with Victini (I was more happy with Sylveon because of its feet anatomy actually. Spent quite a bit on it and I'm glad that the end result was good!) so definitely going to possibly redraw it in the future. Victini was a bit rushed (only took a half-hour) so when I do redraw it I'll take more time to do so.

And you already know that I'll come to you if something doesn't look right. ♥

That saaaaid........

Just some icons. Haven't really drawn much (that I will be showing) since but hopefully I'll be drawing something soon.

NFFCWQt.png
ctu55Mg.png
Q0MAf39.png
8vobwwv.png
iVuFjZc.png

eFHbXzP.png
XDxXj70.png

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
And some drawings!

Oshawott
Spoiler:

Main thing I can say about this piece is that I hate circular things because I can never get them right sob. Anyways I like this piece but there are things I don't like about it.

Espeon
Spoiler:

Art Trade with [supporter]~Ryukaa[/supporter]! I drew him this and he drew me a Totodile. ♥ Despite anatomy problems I really like how this piece came out. There was somewhat of a background on this one but I couldn't get the background to work right (because I suck at backgrounds) so in the end I left it like this. Oh welll.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
Out of the icons you've posted, the first one looks the weakest. The colors just aren't vibrant enough. Maybe bring out the colors more using selective colors? The others are sick, though. I especially love the colors in the one where the character with green hair is sleeping. Reds, greens; all colors are perfectly balanced. Definitely something I could see myself using a lot. I mean, it's hawt.

Oh, and you've improved a lot when it comes to placement, imo. None of the icons seem to have awkward placement, not even the one with multiple characters. So good job on that too!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Yeah I think I was too scared to take any risks with the first one so in the end it didn't turn out as bright. Might be because the art is from an artist that I really enjoy seeing and it was my first time editing one of her pieces for an icon and such haha. But I might see about redoing it and taking more risks with it. I think it's for that reason that I didn't show another icon I did a bit after with her work again (same image just different character) but I'll put it up here now anyways.

dMhvQId.png

ugh that white line but yeah. think i failed with taking risks with this one as well. also i believe it also need text or something due to the space where there is nothing present but these are my own analysis of this icon.

That said I'm happy to hear about the remainder of the icons! Especially with placement since I know that was a crit that you had given to me previously.

oh there is also this icon that i did as well
pEzxq8D.png

idk it also has that whole thing with not being strong enough. might have something to do with me having done it after that other one haha.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
On a drawing spree wheee

Dratini
Spoiler:

just something simply I decided to draw the night before last night. not completely clean but it was like 2am and i didn't want to touch it up when i was done aha

Annabeth Chase????
Spoiler:

Okay. This piece was an experiment. I want to find a style that I like when it comes to humans and then get better and better with that style. At first I didn't like this piece at all but after some critique from a friend and some editing I like it a bit more. But knowing what I can do to improve from this can be a huge help in finding a style that I can stick with and improve on. Since right now I feel like my current style of humans I can't really improve or (or osmething idk. maybe I just want a new style haha).

That's all for now ♥

Last edited:

derozio

Years
I'll try to post an in-depth, sort of, post a while later. For now, I think you have established a pretty distinct look for your human character already. One area where I can see you improve is the hair department. Your face, especially those eyes, feel distinct enough. The hair is what's holding this back. It does not look natural enough right now, tbh. I think you can start off by watching this video or any of the other video he did on hair since I think it'll give you a good idea as to how to make the hair look more dynamic and natural.

or if the video doesn't show up then search 'how to draw manga hair' by markcrilley on youtube. He's a terrific teacher who I found really helpful.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I'll watch that since in general I certainly agree that my hair lacks oomph. However, I'm actually trying to have less of a strict anime style and have more of an inbetween of an anime and more cartoonish (or realistic? idk since animes are cartoons but maybe i make enough sense here) since I'm not that much into anime as I used to be. So to me it just feels strange to have a strict sort of anime style going on.

derozio

Years
Oh you make perfect sense. Mostly because I had a feeling that strictly anime hair, or character for that matter, style is not what you're going for. But, even then, I still linked the video mainly because I feel that a person can still gain quite a bit from it even if they don't strictly want to follow the particular style shown in the video. But I guess I'll go search for some pseudo anime-realistic hairstyle tutorial. Although it'll be harder to find, lol. There's generally only anime and realism and very few inbetween stuff. :p

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I thought so which is why I'll still watch it. :) any sort of progress would be good regardless! One of my favorite artists has a pretty good anime-realistic style that I really like but of course I don't want to copy her style. Or any other style I've seen for that matter haha. Regardless any tutorials will be fine as I'm finally starting to warm up to them. ♥

Oh you know what I'm going to toss in a few more icons I forgot or have made like... today haha.

Froakie & Mega Pokemon (Spoilers)
Spoiler:

PJO
EleftM2.png

Years
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Spoiler:

Last edited:

derozio

Years
I apologise if any of the following doesn't make sense. I'm sleep deprived with a throbbing head right now. So umm not in a good state at all.

I like the froakie icon. Colors are good and placement is fantastic. M!Venusaur icon seems a little brighter in the white areas than it should be. Almost as if you applied diffuse glow on the white areas. Dunno if that's the case or its just the stock but it is a tad too much, imo. I think it could do with more color adjustments. Bring out the reds more, maybe? And experiment a bit with the overall color scheme, I'd say. You can have many different kinds of colorings in icons. :p Same goes for last one - M!Charizard. I think you could have either made the blue parts more blue or created a little more contrast by upping the contrast levels a bit. Those two look like you can tweak them a bit unlike the froakie icon which looks perfect color wise.

Oh and i was like wtf did dipu stop using that?? Lmao. Drakow, I think it is better if you ask the artist involved before you use any of their works. Would save you from awkward situations like the one you are in right now. Also, the artist concerned might not even want you to use it and you may effectively piss him/her off. Tara's a nice girl. She could've been much more rude and that would still not be considered a bad thing on her part.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
I love how vibrant and colorful your art pieces are. The Froakie icon has amazing placement; I'm captivated by how well the bubbles fit within the icon. The Venusaur icon also has structure to it, but I feel the bottom of the icon is too dark and the reds are washed out. The flower is my favorite thing about Venusaur's line, so I'd like to see the reds pop out more too. The Charizard icon is too zoomed in for me; I couldn't tell what it was at first. It really does look like the novelty black Zangoose on GPX at first glance, haha. All three icons are pretty safe in color, meaning they don't stray from the original color scheme. I'd like to see you experiment with all kinds of color ranges to make pieces even more visually interesting. There's a tutorial on color theory here, with this page detailing how to make your colors turn more heads.

The PJO icon has a great colors too, and the text really pulls the icon together, well done. My favorite icon would have to be this Fire Emblem one for its coloring. I adore your Dratini drawing and the lineart in all of your digital drawings. I'm envious of how you draw eyes, since it's rather difficult for me to do still. Keep up the wonderful work!

Back