• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Does it ever go too far?

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
The intensity of Pokemon fans, like fans of most franchises, runs the gamut from someone who barely knows Pikachu from a rabbit to people that know the games well but refuse to try the anime, to people that eat, breathe, and sleep Pokemon day in and day out. Just like everything, there's a point in which it becomes unhealthy obsession with one thing, but the lines are blurred. Where does it go beyond hardcore fan and into obsession? Is it ever unhealthy? Are there certain parts of the Pokemon fandom which lean more towards obsession than others, or do you have to be active in more than one form of Pokemon to be unhealthily obsessed?

What do you think?

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I only think that it's unhealthy if you spend your whole day playing Pokemon, surfing on the net for Pokemon, watching Pokemon animes or reading the mangas.

Like if you're completely shutting down your social life for Pokemon and you don't even go to school/work for Pokemon, then that's when it start becoming unhealthy.

They have people that have a lot of Pokemon stuffs and they love collecting Pokemon related stuffs. But if they still balance their social life and Pokemon stuffs, then that's alright. Just don't go overboard and think your life is 100% Pokemon.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
I play pokemon a lot. But I go to work and pay bills and all that. Im sure there are extremes, I do admit I don't have much of a social life. Mainly because I cant afford a social life.

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
Years
Well, I don't think I'm that obsessed with Pokemon, I do spend a lot of time in the games but thats like around 1-2 hours a day.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I think as long as you don't lock yourself in your room, spend all day watching the Anime, while simultaneously playing a Pokemon game, while surfing Smogon, PC and serebii at the same time, it shouldn't be considered unhealthy. Everyone is at the different Level of "fan-ness", and as long as your able to maintain a healthy social life and such, i don't see the problem

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
There's kind of a line distinguishable between a completely obsessed and just a really hardcore Pokefan.

Completely Obsessed:
Something like what Zorogami said. You lock yourself up in your room to play Pokemon games and browse PC and watch animes ALL DAY with no rest. You collect hundreds and hundreds of Pokemon plushies - every inch of your room is covered with them. You don't come down for meals as you're in the middle of battling a wild Entei. You don't hang out with your friends because you have your eyes stuck on that DS in a battle with Iris.

Hardcore Pokefan:
You play the games moderately, knowing when it's time to stop and get some rest. You have a limit on how many anime episodes you will watch per day. You would stop playing the games to hang out with your friends at the mall.

Basically, you strike a balance between Pokemon and your studies and social life.

Minato Arisato

Memento mori...
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 4, 2016
Also, some people don't even take a break from Pokemon even when they go to school. I've seen students in the lounge talking about Pokemon nonstop, with their 3DS blaring Pokemon noises for hours at a time. Also, they're usually crazy competitive. They're talking about IVs and EVs and I don't know what else. Back in Generation I, Pokemon was so much easier. Now it's just "I'm going to EV train here and get so-and-so EVs and breed for so-and-so nature..."

Sometimes, I wonder if they put as much effort into their schoolwork as they do in Pokemon. I just wish they remember to eat something. Some of them are just crazy.

Archenoth

(cozy)
Years
I'm not gonna lie, I am obsessed with Pokemon. I have plushes, I play the games, I watch the anime, I have the cards... And I play and discuss all of these online commonly. Most of my free time is consumed by something Pokemon, whether it is the /vp/ board on 4chan, or the subreddit. All of my wallpapers on my computers are Pokemon, I have Pokemon clothing, and I have figures that sit by my desk at work as I hack away at things.

However, I don't always talk about it with people in real life, I don't let it interfere with people I work with or hang out with, and I make sure that I'm never too overbearing to the people I'm around. If you pass me on the street, you probably couldn't even tell I was interested unless I happened to be wearing a shirt that day. I am sociable, and have many friends who are not into Pokemon, many who despise it even...

The way I see it is that as long as your interests don't affect your interaction with others, you can like anything as much as you want without it being a problem. Many people here will say "screw what others think", which is nice and all, but people are very social. Even introverts want to have meaningful interactions with people every once in a while. But if something you like lessens your ability to effectively be with people, then that is a place where you should try to limit yourself. But, as long as you can still remain competent within other aspects of life, how you spend your free time is entirely up to you, and if you happen to enjoy something enough that it can use most of your free time, I see no problem with that.

Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu

Yep, that's me
Years
I think when you have to get your "Pokemon FIX" for the day, it's time to get away from it for a little while.

If your not careful shows like this can re-wire your brain into thinking that you want more and more and more. Kid's brains are more at risk then a fully matured brain (about 26yo) to full victim.

It has been scientifically proven over the years.

Sirfetch’d

While I spend a lot of time on the subject of Pokemon, I know that there are some people that take it too far to the point where it is scary.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I have to admit, my life does involve around Pokemon maybe a bit too much. I talk about all the time even around friends who don't care about as much. You should see my Facebook, most of my posts/statuses are about Pokemon. And it's one of the only video games I play.I watch the aniem every week and even discuss about episodes and watch reruns every so often. I don't have as much Pokemon stuff as other mainly cause I can't afford to buy a bunch of junk, though I would buy some more if I had the money. My family sometimes are annoyed by how much I talk about Pokemon and believe I breathe and live Pokemon. And I do admit, Pokemon is my life's obsession. Though I don't try to completely shut myself out from real life and friends just for Pokemon. I talk about other things and have many other interests. I don't spend countless hours watching the anime, just a small few. Honestly, I have never read the manga either. So I guess I'm just a hardcore fan by synerjee's standards and lately I've been trying not to be so obsessed with it.

I think as along as you know there's more important things in life than Pokemon, then it's fine. As long as it a healthy obsession and you don't shut yourself from society to just focus on Pokemon. If it gets to that point then it's pretty much a problem and you should get some help. I try not to get too extremely about my family, despite what my family may think.

Back