• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Your name

Guy

just a guy
Years
I like the idea of having a last name in the games. I don't really see the need for having a nickname though. It just seems redundant when you can use your nickname as your "official name" if that's what you want them to call you. Despite the fact that I can't fit my full first name in the limited number of character space they give you, I've always preferred to use my nickname, Shivi, for my protagonist.

Schwan

Frontier Brain
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 2, 2016
Normally it's Gram - a short for my middle name Graeme. I'm thinking about a new name I could use though.

Rixe

Space Charkie
Years
I've never been able to use my real name - it's 9 letters long and extremely common. It's just as well that I've started within the past few years to always play as a boy (the girls just look like they'd be freezing and I can't deal with that). In Black I was named Black, funnily enough. In Y I may carry that on.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
If I feel like being unoriginal I'll call myself Tara. If I feel like being creative then I would then be likely to call myself something else. What that something else would be though I won't be sure until I actually get a hold of one of the games.

I've never had many nicknames in my life so I don't see the appeal of having a nickname personally. Though I suppose it would be an interesting feature for those who do have nicknames and depending on who you're talking do it varies.

Blue Emerald

One of life's great mysteries
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 15, 2022
Probably gonna go with Xander; I'm planning on getting Pokemon X. These days I like to choose names that closely relate to the version I'm playing.

dragonfly_dust

Look at my avatar! Nuff said.
Years
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017
I always name myself something different in every play through of a pokemon game. It'll depend on what the character looks like. This time I'm thinking Trowa after my fav gundam wing character. Just for nostalgia's sake.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 24, 2017
I always name my character KJ. I ended up naming my character that when I played my first pokemon game (Yellow, nearly 14 years ago) and it stuck. KJ has always been sort of my nickname in real life because my real name is Kenny.

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
Years
Actually, I think I may break my usual pattern of using my real name for the character and instead call him Quote instead, due to the male protagonist's resemblance to the protagonist of Cave Story.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
I almost always name my protagonist Dave or David, but on game files that I don't save (aka restarts that I end at one point) I name myself whatever the character's name actually is. If the character's name is good enough, I'll name him/her that on my main profile, but it almost never is. (see: hilbert)

Years
My flavor of choosing names completely depends on the type of hack or original game I am playing . For example if I am playing Emerald version then i would make him name Brandon.

Years
I think the character limit is stupid when other important characters have names longer than 7 characters.

L-t-.- -S-u-r-g-e
G-i-o-v-a-n-n-i
F-l-a-n-n-e-r-y
G-a-r-d-e-n-i-a
C-r-a-s-h-e-r- -W-a-k-e
S-h-a-u-n-t-a-l
G-r-i-m-s-l-e-y

These characters make me angry. Why can't the player's name be longer...

If they allow 10 character Pokemon nicknames, why not 10 character names? (I still hate Crasher Wake for having such a long name... lol)

I'm deciding between one of my internet handles, my real name, or possibly just the default/official name.

Or if they do a voiced trailer like for B2W2 maybe I'll look up the character's seiyuu for the trailer and find other roles, and name the character after that. XD

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
My flavor of choosing names completely depends on the type of hack or original game I am playing . For example if I am playing Emerald version then i would make him name Brandon.

Sooo you use the male protagonist of the game...?

I think the character limit is stupid when other important characters have names longer than 7 characters.

L-t-.- -S-u-r-g-e
G-i-o-v-a-n-n-i
F-l-a-n-n-e-r-y
G-a-r-d-e-n-i-a
C-r-a-s-h-e-r- -W-a-k-e
S-h-a-u-n-t-a-l
G-r-i-m-s-l-e-y

These characters make me angry. Why can't the player's name be longer...

If they allow 10 character Pokemon nicknames, why not 10 character names? (I still hate Crasher Wake for having such a long name... lol)

I'm deciding between one of my internet handles, my real name, or possibly just the default/official name.

Or if they do a voiced trailer like for B2W2 maybe I'll look up the character's seiyuu for the trailer and find other roles, and name the character after that. XD

Longer would be awesome, ya. Maybe even 20 characters since these days middle names are more of a thing? XD; Or at least ~creative~ ones are.

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
Years
I always call myself Sidd in short for my longer name, and if I feel like being the girl character I call her Sidra for some reason aha

I like the idea of adding a surname for more formal situations like a gym battle. It gives the challenge a more important feeling I guess.

Years
About 90% of the time, I use my nickname that I've had since I was 7 or 8, which is Storm, because I could run pretty damn fast.

zypher634

zypher634
Years
I generally name myself after the version but im going to be naming myself Zypher for purposes of youtube and stuff like that. plus I feel like I should be going by my screen name anyway

Gligar

Bruhfication Sayan
Years
I don't know why but I always call my chractarter my brothers name Rayene just to keep in track with the pokemon games.

Back