• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you consider Final Gambit as an OHKO move?

ELVISTHEGUY

So just now I was battling someone in Random Matchup and I only had one pokemon left, which was paralyzed, anyways he switched into his Staraptor (which had full health) and Ohko'd me.
So yeah, what's your opinion on the move?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I'd say it depends on what uses it, tbh. Of course if it's something with low HP using it, definitely not, but from with lots of HP in general, probably. I don't really think it has much use though considering it's one-time and that you can't revive Pokemon in battle, and sacrificing one Pokemon just for that purpose seems kind of useless when you can take out threats with other methods. While Memento, on the other hand, makes sense, since you're actually "doing" something to the opponent (really with this, you're not even "attacking" it's more like a murder-suicide tbh) and... Final Gambit just seems like a waste of a Pokemon imo - and risky too, having to avoid being attacked first and all. ;x

Volcanix769

Known as the Quilava Guy!
Years
Kinda yes, but when I saw this Pokemon use Final Gambit, it didn't really kill the other one, yes it had very big damage, but it did not kill it in 1 hit.

XEL

Lorem Ipsum
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
I'd say it depends on what uses it, tbh. Of course if it's something with low HP using it, definitely not, but from with lots of HP in general, probably. I don't really think it has much use though considering it's one-time and that you can't revive Pokemon in battle, and sacrificing one Pokemon just for that purpose seems kind of useless when you can take out threats with other methods. While Memento, on the other hand, makes sense, since you're actually "doing" something to the opponent (really with this, you're not even "attacking" it's more like a murder-suicide tbh) and... Final Gambit just seems like a waste of a Pokemon imo - and risky too, having to avoid being attacked first and all. ;x

This, pretty much. If you're going to sacrifice a Pokemon to try and kill your opponent's you might as well use something along the lines of a lead that uses Explosion, such as Azelf. Besides, if you're both down to your last Pokemon, it's kind of useless anyways if you play by the self destruction clause.

Although imagine a team of 5 Blissey + 1 sweeper :P Granted a physically attacking team would completely wreck that, but still lol

The Void

hiiiii
Years
Imagine if Blissey knew Final Gambit... I'd definitely consider that OHKO then lol
btw, I figured out Shedinja can learn Final Gambit... should I add it or not? <sarcasm>

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
It depends when you use it. When your HP is higher than your opponent's by the time you use the move, it's a surefire OHKO unless the opponent is a Ghost or Protected against the attack.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
If you're talking about whether or not it's an OHKO move and therefore not allowed by the standard clauses, Final Gambit is very clearly not an OHKO move. Nearly all users of it have moderate to low HP anyway (Staraptor, Accelgor, Shedinja). It doesn't have the level requirements of other OHKO moves like Fissure, nor does it have a 30% accuracy.

If you weren't asking about the OHKO clause, then I wonder what the purpose of this thread is.

Last edited:

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
uh nope. if it was a ohko move it would state in the effect that it will ohko the opponent like sheer cold, horn drill etc etc. :x final gambit doesn't. but final gambit isn't really that of a move, like vrai said all of it's users (except victini and maybe staraptor) all have below base 80 hp. victini can do something with it though since it can take down something with 404 and below.

Back