• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Sprite Discussion [from RBYG to XY]

Years
Let's do Rayquaza, just so we can show that it IS epic.

R/S/FR/LG:
Spr_3r_384.png

What the hell is with its mouth? Has it been eating blue candy?

Emerald:
Spr_3e_384.gif

Oh god. Horrible Emerald animations, and no fixed mouth >:(

DP/Pt/HG/SS:
Spr_4d_384.png

It looks happy. Rayquaza should look like this:
srsface.gif

BW:
384.gif

I woulda preferred it flying around like mad. Although, it's actually in its Sugimori pose. Maybe somebody pixel-overed it?

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
Although, it's actually in its Sugimori pose. Maybe somebody pixel-overed it?

Yes, it's been common practice for brand-new Pokémon sprites (and big jobs like redrawing nearly every Hoenn Pokémon for BW) for a long time, and examples date back to Red & Green.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
Years
Dragon Tales <3

aww leave emerald animations alone (seeing that its the only 3rd gen. game with animations)

now lets do dragonair :D

Red/Blue
148.png

It looks like a blobby worm, putting on some weight Dragonair?

Yellow
148.png

Thats better, you've been eating your veggies havent you :D

Green
148.png

WOAH! dont look in the mirror Dragonair! You might break it D:

Gold
148.png

Anorexic much? Love the colors in this one :D

Silver
148.png

hay hay hay, love this pose soooo much

Crystal
148.png

its a no-show :[ but its the same as silvers sprite, only animated

Ruby/Sapphire
148.png

....Looking into the horizon, I <3 this one.

Firered/Leafgreen
148.png

Did someone get a tan?

Emerald
148.gif

ROAR ROAR I AM DRAGONAIR HEAR ME ROAR!

Diamond/Pearl/Platinum
148.png

Woahh, too many oran berries for you mister, lets loose some of that dragon weight!

Heartgold/Soulsilver
148.png

Thats much better! Look at you all confident and what not :D

Black/White
148.png

Aww dont be shy! No no your back sprite doesnt make you look fat!
148.png

See?

And dont you look so powerful in your mystery dungeon 2 sprite.
148.png

Who the best looking dragon in the world?! Yes you are! Oh yes you are <3

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Honestly, I don't see what's so bad about Sceptile and Arcanine's B/W sprites. Most Pokemon were color-corrected to match their Sugimori art, so you guys must not like what they're really supposed look like then.

I love Arcanine's B/W sprite, it looks majestic, and it's finally colored correctly.

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
It's partly down to Dragonair's twisting body we see a lot of it's white belly in the sprite.

The other problem is that the aritsts were kinda stuck for how to render it in only 4 colours and the shading style of RGB. Make the blues too light and they start to blend in with the seperation of the white on the belly and make it less accurate to the original colours, while if it's the blues are much darker like in here it can be hard to distinguish areas of the face without giving it a very large white highlight.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
omg;; I wanna try :DD

Pokemon Green
greenspr150.png

He actually looked quite cool there :3, Looks like his Pokemon card image <;

Pokemon Yellow
gby150.gif

I have one word, "THRUST" Seriously, whats it doing D; Also the color's just @.@

Pokemon Blue& Red
rbspr150.png

He looks quite bored :| Same pallet as Green Mewtwo isn't it? O_O

Gold
gbg150.gif

He looks quite good IMO. Color's are okay to :3

Silver
gbs150.gif

This image could not look anymore wrong O_O Also the color's are gross >:

Crystal
gbc150.gif

LOL, Look at him flash :3 Best sprite so far :D

Pokemon Ruby& Sapphire& Leafgreen& Firered
pkrs305.gif

Meh, average, pity they used the same sprite for R/S/LG/FR and Emerald.

Emerald.
emesprani150.gif

Wow... .__. its pulses. \o/

Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum
dpmfa150.png

YEY! Even better than Crystal, the colors look fresh and nice :'3

Pokemon Heartgold& Soulsilver
150.png

Meh D; Looks alright, battle stance. :0

Pokemon Black and White.
I don't see the point of this one .__. its just DP's sprite D;

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
Years
  • Seen Jul 8, 2014
Shellder next!

R/B:
Spr_1b_090.png
The shell doesn't look curved on the sides like it should, and it's face looks more like a black Psyduck sticking it's bill out of a shell.

Y:
Spr_1y_090.png
The best of the Gen.I sprites. The shell is correct, as is the eyes, but the only problem is, the tongue seems a little bigger than normal, if you scale it with the rest of the sprite.

R/G:
Spr_1g_090.png
The worst sprite Shellder has IMO. Exact same as the
R/B, but it seems completely symmetrical, which is a definitate negative. The tongue seems hardly like a tongue at all and it's eyes lack their usual size.

G:
Spr_2g_090.png
A very good sprite indeed. The eyes and tongue seem right, thought the tongue could be a little less thick, and the shell once again lacks it's usual curves. The colors are pretty dead on.

S: Same as G, but now the tongue seems a lot be the right size. The only problems here are the curves and the angle Shellder is facing. Not bad, but not on my favorites.

C:
Spr_2c_090.gif
I love the new colors for this sprite. Sadly, that's the only real improvement here. I'm not too thrilled with animation as it's just it blinking and moving it's tongue. Compared to other
C animations, this one doesn't rank good.

R/S:
Spr_3r_090.png
This is definately what I wanted a Shellder sprite to look like. Perfect colors. Curved shell. Tongue and eyes of the right size. Nothing bad here.

Fr/Lg:
Spr_3f_090.png
Everything like the
R/S sprite, but now it's facing towards the player, which I like. The colors even seem to be a little bit better.

E:
Spr_3e_090.gif
I don't think Shellder's animation should of been it closing it's shell and just moving back and forth. Seems very unrealistic, especially it squishing it's face. But it is better than the
C animation.

D/P/Pt/B/W:
Spr_4d_090.png
Not one of my favorites. The top of the shell doesn't seem arched enough, and the tongue seems thicker as it goes down, not to mention it's face looks a bit sideways.

Hg/Ss:
Spr_4h_090.png
A pretty good sprite. I just think it's colors seem a little brighter than it should be, but the sizing is good, but I think the shell could be a little more curved.

And while we're at it, let's do Cloyster!

R/B:
Spr_1b_091.png
Mistakes such as the shell being horizontal and the missing head horn certainly don't help make this a good sprite, but for Gen.I sprites, I have to say, it has great colors. So it's a bit bad due to it's mistakes, but good for it's colors.

Y:
Spr_1y_091.png
A very good angle, having Cloyster float in the air, looking down on it's opponent. Everything seems accurate, down to it's head horn. One of Cloyster's better sprites indeed,

R/G:
Spr_1g_091.png
Personally, I find this to be Cloyster;s worst sprite. First off, the face is just a mess. It's supposed to be an orb-like face, but it looks more like a squished one. The shell semms bigger than normal, maybe due to it's abnormal head. Though it has the same colors os
R/B, the colors don't seem to come off as well.

G:
Spr_2g_091.png
It's face seems more cartoonish than normal, with it's huge eyes and mouth. The colors are good, but they end up blending in too much with all the shell layers. Coulf of been better.

S:
Spr_2s_091.png
Though we still have the large eyes and mouth, the colors seem to be put togetehr a lot better. The angle is very good too.

C:
Spr_2c_091.gif
The animation is just the shell moving, not even doing a complete open and close, and it moves it's eyes? Plus, the colors seem to of gotten worse than before.

R/S:
Spr_3r_091.png
Wonderful colors! And the angle is great too. I just don't like how bg it's eyes were made.

Fr/Lg:
Spr_3f_091.png
Now this is how I'd want all the sprites to be like. A good angle, with exceptional colors, and msot of all, the right sized eyes and mouth. Just beautiful.

D/P/Pt/B/W:
Spr_4d_091.png
For some reason, Cloyster's head was changed from black to purple (Jynx incident maybe?). I think Cloyster looked better with a blalck head, but hey, that's my opinion. The angle is good, with it looking down at the opponent. I just don't thnink it should of been angled so much in the front. It looked better a bit on the side. The colors are O.k.

Hg/Ss: The colors seem brighter than usual. And why does the left side of Cloyster's shell seem closer to it than the right? Everything else seems alright.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
It should be noted that Cloyster's BW sprite has a number of fixes and tweaks to lines and body parts compared to the DP sprite.

Joenub707

2.15.09 Official Spambot War
Years
I adore how it evolved from 8-Bit 2D sprites to Animated 3D ones! It also looks cool how they move and how they attack in ways. It has improved from Stone Age(what I call it)sprites to Golden Age sprites!

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
Groundon:

R/S/FR/LG/E

Spr_3e_383.gif

Looks like he's hugging the air.

D/P/Pt/HG/SS

Spr_4d_383.png

No comment

B/W

Spr_5b_383.png

Best groundon sprite yet! n_n

Palkia:

D/P

Spr_4d_484.png

Rawr. Best sprite there is.

P/HG/SS

Spr_4p_484.png

Looks FAR too feminine.

B/W

Spr_5b_484.png

Oh deary me.

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
I adore how it evolved from 8-Bit 2D sprites to Animated 3D ones! It also looks cool how they move and how they attack in ways. It has improved from Stone Age(what I call it)sprites to Golden Age sprites!

These aren't 3D.

By definition a sprite cannot be 3D.

Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 23, 2012
Mankey tiem!

Red/Blue:
Spr_1b_056.png

Aww! Look at Mankey with its jacked up arms and legs~ Lol, its arms almost look boneless don't they? xD And its tail is smaller than usual... But hey, it's the first Pokemon game. ALL the Pokemon sprites were f-ed up. :P

Yellow:
Spr_1y_056.png

Wow, such an improvement from the Red and Blue sprite. But most Yellow sprites were huge improvements from the R/B ones, right? This is a pretty alright sprite (lolrhyme). :3

Red/Green:
Spr_1g_056.png

NOOOOOOO!! What happened?! D: Back to f-ed up arms I see. Lol, they look like they're being held up by strings don't they? XD And are those EARS on its head? Wow, they sure do look weird. I mean, really, this guy's looking like he has some straight up issues. O_o

But at least it's front sprite's arms are not as bad as its back sprite's arms:

Spr_b_g1_056.png
BWAHAHAHA!! If you don't think its right arm looks just absolutely HILARIOUS, then I don't know what is. XD

Gold/Silver/Crystal:
Spr_2g_056.png
Spr_2s_056.png
Spr_2c_056.gif

Like pretty much every other G/S/C sprites, the Silver and Crystal ones are almost exactly the same (minus the animation of course :x). The Gold one is definitely the better of the 3, since I like its kicking pose better than its "rampaging" pose. :P
These sprites are alright, but definitely not OMG good. >.>

Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald:
Spr_3r_056.png
Spr_3e_056.gif

Nonononono....nonono....no. I never liked the GBA sprites for any Pokemon. And these aren't any better. I can't say much about these sprites except that its left arm (our left) looks... kinda weird. ._.

FireRed/LeafGreen:
Spr_3f_056.png

Y'know, for a GBA sprite, it's pretty good. :D It's not extremely messed up like the original R/G sprite, so it's alright with me. :3

Diamond/Pearl/Platinum:
Spr_4d_056.png

Oooh, lookylooky~ Someone's trying to look fancy all of a sudden. ;B
This sprite is an EXTREME step forward for the Mankey sprite's, IMO. It's not the best of all of 'em, but hey, I like it. <3

HeartGold/SoulSilver:
Spr_4h_056.png

YEEEESS, YEEEEESS. BEST Mankey sprite, EVER.
The pose is perfect, the face is perfect, the coloring is perfect... EVERYTHANG~
I don't think any Mankey sprite will ever beat this one in terms of PERFECTSHUN.

Black/White:
Spr_5b_056.png

Nooo! Mankey, why? D: I was lovin' that HG/SS sprite, but they just HAD to change it, right? T_T It's not HORRIBLE, but definitely can't beat the HG/SS sprite. Hmm... I wonder how it's animated...

Well there's Mankey, fools~
I just can't forget that R/G back sprite, I swear. XD

Last edited:

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
Hypothesis: I don't see us getting any new battle sprites for a few Generations to come. GameFreak kindly gave us animated sprites this Gen and it probably took a lot of work. I can see them carnying on these same sprites for Gen 6, 7 etc as it'll take too much work to again animate the ones that already exist. That is to say if animated battle sprites will continue, and I doubt that they'll stop as it's a bug change in the games and it should stay. Then again, there was the Follow Me system xD

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
That would be the case if these games were to remain on DS.

Considering the jump in resolution from the DS to the 3DS is even greater than it was from the GBA to the DS I don't think they'll stick with the same DS-sized sprites for any future endeavours. They're going to have to figure out how to adapt the battle sequences for a much wider horizontal aspect ratio than the DS and GBA displayed at for starters.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Yeah, I really doubt they'll be keeping the same sprites for Pokemon when the series makes the jump to the 3DS, and anything further. Besides, we all notice when sprites are reused. They're not going to be that cruel by making us see the same sprites for generations to come. Like The 100 Mega Shock said, they can't just stick with DS resolution in the future. That'd be like saying we should have stuck to RB Golbat all this time. Ick.

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
yeah so i did some calculations.

sprite_sizes.png

First thing was to see how large a sprite could get if you kept them at the same on-screen size. In this case that would be 25% larger, because the 3DS has 125% of the vertical resolution of the DS.

But secondly we look at the horizontal resolution too, and see just how much screen space the 3DS has to work with.

size_comparison.png

The area in green is the standard resolution of the 3DS.

Now the bounding box for a sprite in BW is 96x96 pixels, which translates to half of the screen vertically. With the extra space for Pokémon sprites to be placed on the field horizontally, you could probably make the maximum size for Pokémon sprites larger again, which also helps to fill up more vertical space. With some tweaking of the status bar placement, you could easily fit Pokémon sprites that are one and a half times larger than BW onto the screen if they were willing to do that.

(As an aside, currently backsprites in BW are very large because they're blown up to twice the size, and are often taller than half of the screen without any problems with sprites overlapping.)

Years
I'm sure Pokemon will have to transition to a Pokemon Stadium-Like battle system in the near future. Anyhow, I might as well evaluate Hitmontop.

gbg2371.gif

Gold: 9/10. For a G/S/C sprite, it looks really good,
the face is alright, but there wasn't much to work with that gen.
I would post the Silver one, but it's just a recolor of this one, really.

pkrs372.gif

Ruby/Sapphire: 9/10. This sprite looks great, the I'm digging both the palette
and the pose, GF's spriters hit a home run with this one.

emespr237.png

Emerald: 1/10. I thought Pe2k had messed up the image directory or something, apparently this is the real deal.

dpmfa237.png

Diamond/Pearl: 10/10. This sprite really did Hitmontop justice as well.

2372.png

HG/SS: 8/10. Again, another well done Hitmontop sprite. I preferred the limbs to be bulkier, but it makes sense why they aren't.
(B/W Sprite is a minor edit of the HG/SS one, so there's no point in rating it, really.)

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
emespr237.png

Emerald: 1/10. I thought Pe2k had messed up the image directory or something, apparently this is the real deal.

Spr_3e_237.gif

Yes, Pe2k did mess up the image directory. :P

Spr_1b_042.png

...Golbat, can you please stop trying to lick my computer screen?

Spr_1b_150.png

...I think Mewtwo is constipated.

Spr_1b_113.png

Kangashan has a baby in its' pouch, but Chansey has one in its' stomach.

/Rant over

Spr_1b_129.png

I actually love this, it makes Magikarp look fiercer than it is.

Last edited:

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
Years
I'm going to do Taurus, because I'm fairly sure it hasn't been done yet. I'm probably wrong though... XD

Spr_1g_128.png

Green/Red
7/10
To be fair, they didn't do a horrible job. It resembles Taurus at least, and I kinda like the pose. The quality ruins it, but hey, it's not its worst sprite.

Spr_1b_128.png

Red/Blue
3/10
I don't really like it. It looks really... wierd. Especially the face. :\

Spr_1y_128.png

Yellow
4/10
The pose is alright, and the quality is starting to improve. But... the sick green palette is horrible, and it generally looks... cartoony? I don't know, I'm just not digging it.

Spr_2g_128.png

Gold
5/10
The pose is rather generic, but at least the palette is getting better.

Spr_2s_128.png

Silver
10/10
I can't really fault this. The pose is great; it makes Taurus look fast and strong. The anatomy looks good too, and it is generally well sprited. :)

Spr_2c_128.gif

Crystal
9/10
I'm dissapointed they chose to use the Gold sprite over the Silver one. On the other hand, I like the animation and it suits Taurus. Also, the palette is slightly more realistic imo.

....I'll finish it later. :P

Last edited:
Back