• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anti

return of the king
Years
SIMPLE Q&A THREAD
This thread is for more minor needs like simple questions or moveset requests that are not allowed in the main forum. Here are a few ground rules...

— Be sure to follow all Competitive Battling Center Rules.

— Use the In-Game Team Help sub-forum for in-game and Battle Subway/Frontier/Tower teams.

— Don't ask for an entire team.
We will help to complete and perfect partially finished teams, but we aren't going to make whole teams.

— Questions like "How does this attack work?" and "What are IVs/EVs?" belong here.
Moveset requests also belong here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
Years
you're on to something by spelling it like that.
F stands for Focus Sash, E stands for Endeavour, A stands for Attack, or in this case Quick Attack, and R stands for Rattata.

Several pokes can pull off this strategy, provided that they have Endeavour and a priority attack. Swinub is one of the more notable ones, considering how it is immune to both of the damaging weather effects, Donphan would be good I guess with the new and improved Sturdy, and finally Cleffa has Magic Guard and thus is guaranteed at least one kill a match if you get a damaging weather up.

FEAR might be called that just because it is a strategy to be "feared", or it might just be short for "F***in' extremely annoying rodent". Idk about that, to be honest.

EDIT: WELL DAMN

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
Since this is in CPG now, where do we put Gen IV and below comp-battle items?
it's been in cpg for about a year, actually. even though it is listed there, you can still post rmts, discussions, and so on (if that's what you meant by items) for older generations as well.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
Years
it's been in cpg for about a year, actually. even though it is listed there, you can still post rmts, discussions, and so on (if that's what you meant by items) for older generations as well.

Oh, then can we get those nifty thread tags back? Y'know, the ones that say "[Gen V]" and such? :)

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
Years
Why did everything get changed all of a sudden? I had this request in the original Request a Moveset thread in S&M, then I find out S&M is gone within hours of posting...

Anyway...

Looking for an Infernape set for the last two slots. Gen IV OU by the way...

Infernape @Expert Belt
Naive/Blaze
66 Atk / 252 SpAtk / 192 Spe
-Flamethrower
-Close Combat
-
-

There are three options I'm leading towards:

A)Thunderpunch + HP Ice
B)Grass Knot + HP Ice
C)HP Grass + Earthquake

I'm leaning most towards option A, as that set hits 12/17 types super-effectively and gives me grounds to use the Expert Belt. It's a nice compromise between the Choice items and the Life Orb. I don't want to have to deal with the recoil (The Ape is frail as it is) and I like having the freedom to pick my moves without having to switch.

Thunderpunch can also OHKO Gyarados and can do more damage to Suicune and Vaporeon than Grass Knot...

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Why did everything get changed all of a sudden? I had this request in the original Request a Moveset thread in S&M, then I find out S&M is gone...

Anyway...

Infernape @Expert Belt
Naive/Blaze
-Flamethrower
-Close Combat
-
-

A)Thunderpunch + HP Ice
B)Grass Knot + HP Ice
C)HP Grass + Earthquake

I'm leaning most towards option A, as that set hits 12/17 types super-effectively and gives me grounds to use the Expert Belt. It's a nice compromise between the Choice items and the Life Orb. I don't want to have to deal with the recoil (The Ape is frail as it is) and I like having the freedom to pick my moves without having to switch.

Thunderpunch can also OHKO Gyarados and can do more damage to Suicune and Vaporeon than Grass Knot...

Because S&M and Battle Stadium were quite low on activity, combining the two is a hope to promote activity! :)

Anyway, I see you're wanting a Mix-Ape set, so here you go.

Copy pasta from Smogon! <:

name: Mixed Attacker
move 1: Overheat
move 2: Close Combat
move 3: U-turn / Grass Knot
move 4: Stone Edge / Mach Punch
item: Life Orb
nature: Naïve / Hasty
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe

Enjoy!

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Why did everything get changed all of a sudden? I had this request in the original Request a Moveset thread in S&M, then I find out S&M is gone within hours of posting...

Anyway...

Infernape @Expert Belt
Naive/Blaze
-Flamethrower
-Close Combat
-
-

A)Thunderpunch + HP Ice
B)Grass Knot + HP Ice
C)HP Grass + Earthquake

I'm not the greatest with Gen IV but I'd rather use Thunderpunch, yes. Gyarados is generally the main switch-in to Infernape afaik and being able to KO it off the bat is great... though I think Grass Knot actually does do more to Suicune than Thunderpunch. :x

Years
If you want to breed for high IVs, you'll need parents with high IVs, so it requires a bit of luck to obtain your parents. If both the parents have high IVs, there's a higher chance that the offspring will have them as well.

dreyko

Isolated System.
Years
i was wondering who the best 5th gen trick room user is and why? also, what would be a good moveset, nature, ev spread, and held item for this pokemon?

flamehaze94

Jeste!
Years
Oh, why that would simply be Reuniclus in standard game. It has great bulk and is very slow, enough to outpace many slower defensive Pokemon like Blissey and even Forretress. Not to mention its high base special attack and its ability Magic Guard which shields it from all passive damage (Sandstorm, Life Orb, etc.) Unlike other strong, slower Pokemon, Reuniclus can set Trick Room itself and not be a liability on the team.

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
252HP / 252SpA / 4Def
Quiet nature
0 Spd IVs
- Trick Room
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

The first slash is recommended for a STAB move, but Psyshock allows it to beat Blissey. You can even try and squeeze Recover in there, but it also loses a coverage move.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
i was wondering who the best 5th gen trick room user is and why? also, what would be a good moveset, nature, ev spread, and held item for this pokemon?

The best Trick Room user by far is Reuniclus. It's slow, has immense power and bulk, and has pretty good 3-move coverage. It ravages offensive teams on its own. :)

Reuniclus @ Life Orb (magic guard removes recoil damage)
Nature: Quiet (+SpA, -Spe)
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Def
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

edit: fladskjfd YOU!!

Years
Alright guys, i've been thinking and i'd like your opinions on these two guys

Volbeat @Salac Berry
Nature: Calm/Bold
Ability: Prankster
EV's: 4 HP, 252 Def, 252 Sp Def
Moveset:
-Substitute
-Baton Pass
-Tail Glow
-Light Screen/Encore

..and..

Illumise @Salac Berry/Petaya Berry/Leichi Berry
Moveset:
-Growth
-Baton Pass
-Substitute
-Encore/Charm

Volbeat is more set to baton pass a quick +3 Sp Atk and +1 Spd to a sweeper. Illumise is more set for sunny day teams to baton pass a +2 Atk and Sp Atk and a Salac/Leichi/Petaya berry boost to a hopefully Chlorophyll user. Unlike most other Baton Passers, these guys don't have to worry about non-Prankster Taunters or priority attacks. I'd like some ideas on the EV's, should i move them around a bit more to outpace the occasional poke packing a decent bit of speed and priority move? Your help is much appreciated!

dreyko

Isolated System.
Years
alright, im back again with yet another question. so here it is. what is a good moveset, ev's, nature, and held item for Mandibuzz?

thanks in advance to anyone and everyone who answers =)

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
alright, im back again with yet another question. so here it is. what is a good moveset, ev's, nature, and held item for Mandibuzz?

thanks in advance to anyone and everyone who answers =)

name: Specially Defensive
move 1: Roost
move 2: Toxic
move 3: Brave Bird
move 4: Taunt / Whirlwind / U-turn
item: Leftovers
ability: Overcoat
nature: Careful
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

here ya go. :3

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
Years
Alright guys, i've been thinking and i'd like your opinions on these two guys

Volbeat @Salac Berry
Moveset:
-Substitute
-Baton Pass
-Tail Glow
-Light Screen/Encore

..and..

Illumise @Salac Berry/Petaya Berry/Leichi Berry
Moveset:
-Growth
-Baton Pass
-Substitute
-Encore/Charm

Volbeat is more set to baton pass a quick +3 Sp Atk and +1 Spd to a sweeper. Illumise is more set for sunny day teams to baton pass a +2 Atk and Sp Atk and a Salac/Leichi/Petaya berry boost to a hopefully Chlorophyll user. Unlike most other Baton Passers, these guys don't have to worry about non-Prankster Taunters or priority attacks. I'd like some ideas on the EV's, should i move them around a bit more to outpace the occasional poke packing a decent bit of speed and priority move? Your help is much appreciated!

You still have to worry about non-Prankster Taunters. If they use Taunt on the turn you stat-up, then you're still screwed.

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
Years
Well, I'm trying to breed an Elekid with HP Ice in HeartGold, and have two parents with the following IVs:

Male: 26/26/15/7/31/30
Female: 26/26/26/8/31/31

The above IVs are listed in this order: HP/Atk/Def/SpAtk/SpDef/Spe

Now, I'm trying to get a HP Ice with max(or close to max) IVs, which is 31/31/31/31/31/30

I have a Power Anklet on the Male and a Power Band on the female, to pass down the Speed and SpDef IVs respectively.

Both the 31 SpDef from the female and 30 Spe IVs from the male should be inherited by the offspring since I have the right Power Items equipped. However, both IVs are not passed down every single time. Sometimes I end up with a Speed IV of a random number or a random SpDef IV. What is going on here?

I do use the EV/IV check AR code to confirm my IVs, but I'm positive that's not the issue as that's the ONLY code I've ever used and it's never caused issues before.

Does the IV HAVE to be 31 in order to be passed down by the Power Item? Or is it something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back