• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The "Pseudo" Starters

Did you enjoy the Pseudo-starters?

• Yes

Votes: 28 40.6%
  • No

Votes: 41 59.4%

• Total voters

Splintey

Banned
Years
  • Seen Feb 2, 2014
pansage-pansear-panpour.jpg

[FONT=times new roman, times, serif]The Pan-Simi Family

The three monkeys introduced in the 5th gen are an interesting concept. I reffer to them as Pseudo starters due to their resemblance of the three basic starter types and How in B/W the first gym chooses their type according to your starter similar to the way your rival changes his starter in relation to yours (Typing Advantages).

The three monkeys are also capable of gaining abilities exclusive to themselves and the starter pokemon.

I made this thread to see how you guys reacted to seeing the monkey trio and I would like to hear from everyone how they feel about the following:

-Gym Leaders of Changing Elements
-Anything else anyone would like to add

Personally, I love the idea and think its a great way to counter your starters weakness and overall give a balanced structure to the team early on, But I think that the monkeys are a bit cartoonish for me... For starters, I understand that this is a childs game and I think the Pan family are perfectly fine for the basic pre-evolution of the line but, Simipour's design is very "goofy". I think Simisage has a great design and he is hands down the best in my book but, the other two aren't very intimidating or atleast as intimidating as they should be (For my taste).
The various typings for the primary gym is a great concept opposing the First Gen tactics where choosing Bulbasaur would be the equivalent to choosing easy mode, squirtle medium and charmander hard. I believe this can make players choose their favorite starters without bias towards which could beat the first gym easiest.

[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I like Panpour and Pansage better than Pansear because the former two learn more useful moves than the latter. I was disappointed with Pansear on my runthrough of Black.

Splintey

Banned
Years
  • Seen Feb 2, 2014
Pansage is my favorite which is very unfortunate considering I like to use Snivy

Years
Despite the fact I used Oshawott on my first Black playthrough, my fave of the three is Panpour, probably cos I love Water-types a lot and it has a handy move in Scald. But Pansage is good too cos I used it as my Pokemon in the recent PC Supporters collab, and one of my fave Grass-types as well.

I did like this concept, getting the monkey that can help you defeat the first Gym. While Pansear starts off weaker than the other two, it still does get better moves as it levels up. I'd really like to see more pseudo starters like these monkeys implemented in future generations sometime.

Splintey

Banned
Years
  • Seen Feb 2, 2014
I think this would be cool maybe redone as a trio of a different species

Sirfetch’d

Panpour was my favorite because I am partial to water types. I didnt really care though for them overall tbh.

Splintey

Banned
Years
  • Seen Feb 2, 2014
I was thinking about the pseudo starters not just the monkeys so its not about whether or not you liked the monkeys personally so much as do you think this is a good concept like a "secondary" starter ish thing

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
Simisage was my favorite. He was the only evolution of the monkey's that didn't like feminine and actually looked cool. He was also pretty flippin' powerful.

Nakala Pri

My favorite is Simisage. I agree with you all the way, they are very cartoon-y, but hey! That isn't really a bad thing. :P For kids, they would love them! And Pokemon is for everybody, so this is quite good in my opinion.

I think they're giving us a break from the usually intimidating Pokemon we're faced with today, like Venipede and Steelix.

I hope in X/Y there will be a few more of these cute little monkeys! :3

Austin1395

Dark-type Trainer
Years
With me, it's love and hate with them. I love the concept and would love nothing more for it to return with either different types or not monkeys. Personally, I'd like to see the monkey concept return next generation, and take all the starters future second type and give you the opposite. So, going by the idea that Fennekin will be Fire/Psychic, Chespin will be Grass/Dark, and Froakie will be Water/Fighting, you'd get whatever is the opposite of the starters second type and continue with the monkey idea. But, I love the idea of the "Pseudo" Starters and I'd love for it to return.

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
I liked the idea for Generation 5, in which Unova did not borrow any pokemon from previous dexes. But because Generation 6 will include old pokemon, I don't think we need them as much. I could easily imagine things like Houndours and Oddishes running around to fulfill the options to balance out our team.

Also, I think it's unlikely that we'll have another fire/water/grass as our first gym, so the need for a counter type that early in the game is not really as mandatory.

Years
To be honest, it doesn't matter, IMO, if they include pseudo-starters in the next generation, but what I really liked about the Pan-Simi family of Pokémon was how they gave you an advantage over your rival, which has never happened in any previous generation.

kgarra8649

Black 2= Beat in 1 day!!!!!
Years
I think it was an excellent idea, and @splintley , your right. I think that it is useful in the way that you can pick your favorite starter and not have to worry about losing to the first gym. Either way, I usually ditch my starter after beating the game for competition purposes anyway so it's not a big deal to me :P

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
The concept of pseudo starters is okay, but I personally hated the monkey trio - they're so uninspired and their designs are beyond bland in my eyes haha. The idea of having a trio of 'pseudo starters' in each generation is okay, but I personally didn't like the restriction of having to use one. I know you didn't have to use it, but I just wasn't a fan of having to take one like it's so important when I've already been given a starter. It's okay for the first run of a game I suppose, but I enjoy having a lot more freedom on my teams and when all the 'pseudo starters' were basically the same Pokémon with different types, it was pretty boring being given them.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
I thought that were an interesting idea, but the problem is that they are quite hard to level up. It takes quite a while for them to learn the "moderately powerful" moves. When I had Pansear as my psuedo-starter, I ditched it because it was such a low level. Fortunately I found a much better Fire-type which was Darumaka. His much higher attack stat was a huge help in giving me my third badge while I was playing White. So yeah, in my opinion Pansear's the worst of the three forms.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
I thought that they were cute, and I loved them, and Pansear IS my fave, but there definitely was room to improve on them. I like that they all had the same stats, basically the same movepool, and a little bit of separation, but for them to be pseudo starters for me, i think I'd like their stats upped a little bit. Other than that, I actually really loved them.

I'd also like to point out that as this IS a Fifth Generation forum, only discuss the Fifth Generation games. Any discussion on possible features or Pokemon within Pokemon X/Y belongs in that section, not in here. Discussion on even more distant future games on this is more of a General topic, so please keep that out of this thread, as well.

ganesha

The Graphical Master
Years
I really like Pansage and Simisage as they look cool to me, I got Pansage from the girl in the area beside Striaton city in Pokémon Black. Simisage is in my team for the league and its a great helpful Pokémon throughout the game.

The Striaton Gym was having a very nice concept and its nice to have such a concept in the game apart from the rival concept.

twistedpuppy

Siriusly Twisted
Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2015
I hated those monkeys simply because I could never find them in the wild. They were a pretty neat idea for a while, but concept wise they reminded me of Eevee and its variations.

Years
Really I never liked them : P they were hard to find, I didn't like the designs, they are OK in battle but no too good :P

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
I thought they were underwhelming, both design wise and battling wise. Pansage is sorta cute I guess, but that's as far as it goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back