• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

[Released] Pokémon Obsidian Version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 19, 2016
This looks amazing. i really like the battle backgrounds..
Wish you luck!

Atomic Reactor

26.png

all i have left to do for the demo...
-event NPCs of last town
-fix pokedex script
-get new cries for starters
-make end credits event

:)

Last edited:

Atomic Reactor

It will just play up to the first gym. So it should be about 2 hours of gameplay :)

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
It's looking pretty rad so far, mate. I'm really liking the lighting in the overworld areas - the light being focused on the center of the screen during night really adds to the game's unique feel. As well I'm a big fan of the colorful graphics in general - they really make the game world feel vibrant and fun.

I do, however, think that the starters could use a little bit of work - the grass starter in particular. Its sprite looks a tad awkward - a different pose might help alleviate that a little, though. I also think the overworld sprites of the starters are a little odd looking as well, it almost seems as if they're meant to only face forward - which is really odd.

In any case, mate, good luck and I'm looking forward to playing the upcoming demo.

Atomic Reactor

Thanks for the kind words sir! The overworlds don't face forward only, they were just being disobedient during the screenshot haha.

Just thought I'd let everyone know that a Demo will be ready within the next week or two!
So for those of you who have been paying attention, i hope you will be playing the demo! The demo will go up to the first gym. And should take about 2 hours to complete :)

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
Years
Nice, good to see you're putting out a demo quickly (unlike *some* projects that don't have a single demo dispite being worked on for over a year :|)

PS: Thanks for suggesting dropbox, it's been a lifesaver.

Atomic Reactor

Alright guys, sorry for the wait! I'd like to present you all with the very first Demo of Pokémon Obsidian Version! This demo goes up to about the 1st gym! So yeah, please enjoy it, and report any bugs to me :)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CVPW29I6

Last edited:
Years
Congrats on the demo, Atomic, I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Great job with the battle system, too, it's very sleek-looking.
EDIT: The demo link doesn't work for me, although the one on your DeviantArt did.

aquakip

Art Director, Pokemon Ethereal Gates
Years
I just started playing it. :D I'll edit this post when I finish with pros and cons and things that need fixing.

EDIT: It says you need to download MAXON or whatever. Why is this?

EDIT 2: After much work and digging through files, I decided to turn off my anti-virus software and try downloading it again. Turns out my computer thinks the game is a virus. Silly computer...

EDIT 3: The text doesn't go well with the game. It makes it seem like a different sort of RPG. I woudl consider changing it to a previous Pokemon text, because those suit this style of game very well (especially since it's Pokemon...)
YES!!! The mom has a bed! :D I <3 you for this.
The mother does seem short, however. I'd consider making her taller than the player, or the same height. She's like 5 pixels shorter, which is bothering me a lot.
I resized my screen and the text looks a lot better this way. xD You should make it so it starts out this size, rather than doubled.
The second set of stairs on the mountaint path is messed up a bit. I accidentally hit the wrong tile (the tile above the staircase) and went up and then was pushed back down. Make it so it's a face-left event only. :)
I love the pokeball icons. They're so teeny tiny. :D
I'd consider putting lighted-up windows on the other houses in Hazelseed Town. It's odd that your's is lighted up and the other two aren't.
Dad and Phil...potential rivals? idk maybe. :D
Could you possibly have a little gateway leading to the grove? Rather than you enter and then exit immediately. Maybe something like Oreburgh gate, but with no pokemon, and smaller. :D
When you check the Water Pokemon, Darpole, the screen is a light red with its picture on it, rather than transparent and his picture on it. :)
Could you maybe animate the water? It seems very boring and still. :P Idk, it looks nice though.
Why is it that when you get your Pokemon, you're right by the door, rather than in front of the lab equipment like usual. It seems really odd.
When you get into a battle, your little animation across the screen looks weird. You don't have a waist!. I would either fix that, or change the battle screen text box. It looks really odd without a waist. :P
Love the battle backgrounds!
Maybe make the wild pokemon on Route 1a a little weaker. Level 2 and 3 by chance?

Last edited:
Years
Ahh atomic, found a glitch.. i was able to go to the Gym without even a Pokemon :D lol maybe you should put a barrier in front of the grass to stop you from going in the area without a pokemon :D but so far amazing, besides that very smooth game i love!

Atomic Reactor

The text doesn't go well with the game. It makes it seem like a different sort of RPG. I woudl consider changing it to a previous Pokemon text, because those suit this style of game very well (especially since it's Pokemon...)
It should have the pokemon fonts already... did you try installing the fonts?

The mother does seem short, however. I'd consider making her taller than the player, or the same height. She's like 5 pixels shorter, which is bothering me a lot.
I've been taller than my mom for quite some time, and it hasn't bothered me one bit haha. (don't worry... you don't see her much)

The second set of stairs on the mountaint path is messed up a bit. I accidentally hit the wrong tile (the tile above the staircase) and went up and then was pushed back down. Make it so it's a face-left event only. :)
Fixed :)

I'd consider putting lighted-up windows on the other houses in Hazelseed Town. It's odd that your's is lighted up and the other two aren't
The houses that are locked at night (which means they aren't important to the story) will not light up, because people will be sleeping. (one house in the first town is still open at night... i forgot to fix it :[)

Could you possibly have a little gateway leading to the grove? Rather than you enter and then exit immediately. Maybe something like Oreburgh gate, but with no pokemon, and smaller. :D
When i can make a cave tileset, i will do that :)
When you check the Water Pokemon, Darpole, the screen is a light red with its picture on it, rather than transparent and his picture on it. :)
Fixed :)

Why is it that when you get your Pokemon, you're right by the door, rather than in front of the lab equipment like usual. It seems really odd.
Uh... I feel like this shouldn't matter at all lol. Sorry, but i see no point in changing it :x
When you get into a battle, your little animation across the screen looks weird. You don't have a waist!. I would either fix that, or change the battle screen text box. It looks really odd without a waist. :P
I know XD I wanted to fix it before the demo, but idk how to take the sliding out of the script. It will be fixed in version 2 hopefully!

Maybe make the wild pokemon on Route 1a a little weaker. Level 2 and 3 by chance?
In version 2 i may edit the levels, because i totally agree (i was never good at setting levels -.-)

i was able to go to the Gym without even a Pokemon
Really... How is that possible... there's no way of getting to the gym leader without needing a pokemon. Can you explain this more?

Thanks for the feedback guys! Here's the fixed version!
https://rapidshare.com/files/2464755461/Pok__mon_Obsidian_Demo.exe

Last edited:
Years
Ok maybe i said this wrong lmfao sorry xD
I was able to go half way through the demo without a Pokemon, you see this is were u need a lot of BETA testers, i was able to leave the town where u get Ur Pokemon without even having one.. and i couldn't verse trainers or run into wild Pokemon.. But all the events happened.. i got my pokedex and such without even having a Pokemon..

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
Years
None of the links seem to be working, they're all down.

--
I suggest making a folder in megaupload, then put the demo in that folder, and instead of putting a link to the demo, put a link to the folder.

So if you need to replace the demo with a newer version, then all you would have to do is just put the new version in the folder. This way, you won't have to go change the links to the never version, as it'll just direct to whatever is in the folder (I use mediafire myself, but should work the same way)

~JV~

Dev of Pokémon Uranium
Years
I tried the demo a lil bit and found out it was really nice! But as others mentioned there are some bugs, and they are there because of bad/lack of testing. It's not your fault, actually, I think we, develloppers, are bad testers because we already know everything is programmed in and we end up rushing through the game ^^. Anyways, congratulations.

Atomic Reactor

In the later version, I fixed the fact thAt you didnt need a pokemon to go anywhere. And are you sure the last link doesn't work? I know none of the overs will because I deleted them. But the last one should... It shouldn't have to many bugs either.

Jv, what bugs are you talking about ?

aquakip

Art Director, Pokemon Ethereal Gates
Years
When you speak to Professor Oak in the gateway, no music plays. However, when you go back into the gateway, music DOES play. Is this intentional?
When you lose a battle in the woods and go back to the pokemon center, the circular lighting is still on the screen.
I just noticed, but the female/male symbols are very bland. It is difficult to tell what they are from a glance, and you have to really look at them hard to see them clearly. I would change them to something brighter and more saturated.

And that's about it for now. I'll finish the game later. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back