• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A little Help needed.

Samgon

Flygon's Master
Years
*I'm not 100% sure this is in the right place as i'm kind of new around here.*

Hey, I was wondering if anyone has any advice to start collecting pokemon cards, I want to solely collect them at first, as atm i have no plans on battling competitively ( This may change at a later date)!

I have read that starting with buying cards off ebay was a good place to start but I have no idea what i'm looking for!

Thanks in advance,
Sam.

Samgon

Flygon's Master
Years
I was thinking of starting with some of the newer sets, should i just buy a booster box to start off straight away?
Nah i'm more interested in building a collection that i can keep for a long time :-)

H.Vega

Johto Wanderer...
Years
If you're going to be a hardcore collector, you're gonna need funds. Lots of funds.

I would start with the newer sets, but the older sets are still worth a ton of money, a booster box of base set 1st edition is usually 800-1000 bucks. Good luck :)

Renpuu

Gengar !
Years
If you don't have many cards of a set, it's best to buy a booster box since it will get you majority of the set from that booster box (in terms of commons and uncommon). The EX Pokemon are the most expensive which usually will contain 3 EXs per booster box. So you may need to buy single EXs to complete the set after the first booster box.
Baring in mind a booster box is around £60-80 for the newer sets, it's completely up to you if you want to slowly collect by buying singles every now and then or just spending all at once.

Years
I am currently collecting Plasma Storm and have only bought six packs so far, haven't got any EX cards yet I will probably buy these separate at a comic fair this weekend for a reasonable price.

Of course buying a booster box is going to get you completing the set alot faster but you gotta have the funds I currently don't right now so therefore I am buying boosters here and there and I'll just get the rest separate.

Samgon

Flygon's Master
Years
thanks for all the advice guys, gonna take note! I think i may pop out tomorrow and buy a few packs,then order a booster box later. I suppose if I get any rare duplicates I could always trade them out for the fillers I need for a collection.

Years
thanks for all the advice guys, gonna take note! I think i may pop out tomorrow and buy a few packs,then order a booster box later. I suppose if I get any rare duplicates I could always trade them out for the fillers I need for a collection.

Yes indeed you could :)

I just got my first EX card today, Black Kyurem very pleased!

Renpuu

Gengar !
Years
Yeah EXs can be very expensive if you're looking to buy the singles. It's due to that some EXs are very popular in the meta-game (played in tournaments). Some EXs will be cheaper due to lack of play-ability.
Buy the booster boxes or tins ! Tins can be cool additions to the collection since they have awesome alternative art of EXs !

Back