• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Manga Book Club

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Pokémon Manga Book Club

What's the book club?

In real life, a book club's purpose is to read a book from cover to cover and discuss it regularly. The Pokémon Manga Book Club is similar to that! Think of it as a group reading of various versions of Pokémon manga. However, we won't be reading any one manga cover to cover, since there are so many different ones that most people haven't read or heard of; instead we'll be reading a few volumes of various mangas, so you can get a good taste of all the options available to you in the manga universe!​

What are we reading?
Well, young manga fan, we'll be reading chapters from 7 different series! However, some of them are oneshots (only one volume to the entire series), so technically we'll read the entirety of about 4 different series. Here's the list of series we'll be dipping into:
The Electric Tale of Pikachu
Pokémon Adventures
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Ginji's Rescue Team
Pokémon Ranger Batonnage
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Blazing Exploration Team
Pokémon 7
Pokémon Reburst

How does it work?
Now all that's left is to explain exactly how it works, yes? We'll be starting our first chapter on June 8th. This should give people plenty of time to see the thread and prepare themselves! Every week I'll give you a chapter to read, and you'll have a week to get through the entire thing (don't worry, the chapters are short). We'll then discuss the chapter as we're reading the next one! New chapters will be "assigned" each Friday, along with links to where you can read them online or download them. Please keep all important discussion in spoiler tags, though, since someone may check the thread without having read the weekly chapter yet! The second post in this thread will keep track of where we are in the book club, what we're reading now, when the next chapter is assigned, all the important things. And of course if you stick around and discuss in the book club with us, you'll be able to add a shiny new emblem to your name!​

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Current Assignment

fXhvi.png

The Electric Tale of Pikachu
Note: this is the translated version and is read left-to-right.

Assignment 1: Volume 1, Chapter 1 (Pages 1-41)
Assignment 2: Volume 1, Chapter 2 (Pages 1-38)
Assignment 3: Volume 1, Chapter 3 (Pages 1-40)
Assignment 4: Volume 1, Chapter 4
Assignment 5: Volume 2, Chapter 1
Assignment 6: July 13​

Past Assignments

None yet!

Last edited:

Cid

Years
Whoa. It all sounds so fun and interesting! Can't wait.

About the whole concept, I really think this is a good idea. I'm not familiar with most of the series listed aside from PokéSpe and ReBURST but I'm pumped to start with it nevertheless. Always wanted to get into these. Hopefully the assignments each prove to be interesting enough on their own for the readers, because maybe this can promote discussion on each series we'll be reading. Heck, even possibly produce more threads in the section itself! I hope the longer ones (like Pokémon Adventures) get more than one assignment/week designated for them. :D

I also sincerely hope this picks up the activity in the sub-forum. But aside from messages and linking it in my signature, I can't think of any other way to promote this. I really want to though! I mean, even though I'm just starting to lurk this place more, it's a surprise how I already want to participate, probably more so with a fair share of people doing the same thing. Any ideas on how much more people (newcomers and regulars alike) can know about this? At least there's a short leeway for people to check it out first. :3

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Okay I'm here! I've been meaning to read more Pokemon manga as a whole but never really gotten to motivation or anything to do so. Hopefully this'll help especially since it'll be weekly much like the other few things that I read.

There's always a blog entry which Toujours might have already put up or not. I'm not sure since I just got online and haven't really checked much. But blogs seem to help. Other than that maybe Toujours can have an announcement made as well? idk. But it would be nice for this to be promoted so more people could possible join.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Can't wait for this to start, I've always wanted to get involved with the manga! What's going to happen after the listed ones are finished though? ;o

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Okay I'm here! I've been meaning to read more Pokemon manga as a whole but never really gotten to motivation or anything to do so. Hopefully this'll help especially since it'll be weekly much like the other few things that I read.

There's always a blog entry which Toujours might have already put up or not. I'm not sure since I just got online and haven't really checked much. But blogs seem to help. Other than that maybe Toujours can have an announcement made as well? idk. But it would be nice for this to be promoted so more people could possible join.

I have an announcement in, just waiting for it to be accepted :3

Can't wait for this to start, I've always wanted to get involved with the manga! What's going to happen after the listed ones are finished though? ;o

Well with one chapter a week, the listed ones will be done in...nearly a year. XD So when we get that far, I'll add to the list, although the ones I really want to add aren't available online ;_; I may have some disposable income over this break, and then if so I'll probably end up buying a few of the ones I want to read/add here and upload them to mangafox or something similar.

JB2448

A Giant Slice of Pecan Pie
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 27, 2016
Sure, this seems like a cool idea. Count me in!

droomph

weeb
Years
[I meant to Toujours when we start, but okay, it works too]

So lemme get this straight, in an "assignment", you'll get us a couple pages from the manga each day? Or do we have to get the books ourselves?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I'll give you a link to where you can either read it online or download it to read on your computer. And for the most part it will be a chapter a week, but in the case of a few of them it'll be two chapters a week because they're extra long haha.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Yup, you've got the idea! :)

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Well the chapters for this one are ~40 pages so there's that!

The first assignment is up. Feel free to start discussing once you've finished reading it :3

JB2448

A Giant Slice of Pecan Pie
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 27, 2016
I think this is the most complete set of Electric Tale of Pikachu English scans. Why didn't anyone finish scanning the entire series, I wonder?

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I didn't enjoy the first chapter of Electric Tale of Pikachu nearly as much as Pokémon Adventures. I'm sure I'll enjoy it more though once I read more. I do like the look of Misty with her hair coloured dark though.

I think this is the most complete set of Electric Tale of Pikachu English scans. Why didn't anyone finish scanning the entire series, I wonder?
I'm not sure why but I find it super annoying. I can't find volume 7 or 8 of Pokémon Diamond and Pearl Adventure! anywhere.

Back