• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen New Legendary Pokemon - Xerneas and Yveltal

Which do you prefer?

• Pokemon X

Votes: 148 34.6%
  • Pokemon Y

Votes: 192 44.9%
  • Both

Votes: 88 20.6%

• Total voters

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
Is it me or does Xerneas look like a Sawbuck on Roids? I would get it anyway but still.

I wonder what the Z pokemon will be tho

Years
Now I get the whole Norse Legend thing:

This has to be the basis for these Pokemon. It also means that Yvetal is clearly part Flying and Xerneas is part Ground.

Interesting link. The ground typing makes sense with the X/horizontal/terrain theme. Then with the gemstone crested antlers...I am now also leaning toward a metal second type, which would allude to earth metals.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Is it me or does Xerneas look like a Sawbuck on Roids? I would get it anyway but still.

I wonder what the Z pokemon will be tho

Honestly I think it's closer to Virizion than that XD; Sawsbuck is just... different, while Virizion has the same kind of pose, just add in Arceus' head and it's p much Xerneas really.

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
Years

pokefan75

Freelance artist and Beginner Rom Hacker
Years
I quite liked the look of the Xerneas deer one but i don't like its legs cause they remind me of Arceus and i HATE Arceus! the other one looks really wierd its head looks cool but im not liking its colours or the big fat tail. I do like them but not as much as reshiram and zekrom :) i'm really looking forward to seeing how they play into the game and what types they are. im guessing the deer is like a grass-psychic type and the other is fire-dark type because they look it and it also makes them opposite.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Guys do you think Yveltal is possibly a part poison type?

Probably not. It's most likely flying and "something". The more viable thing seems dark/fire here than really poison, which wouldn't really line up well with Xerneas given that if it's part steel or part grass, it's at a disadvantage.

Guy

just a guy
Years
I quite liked the look of the Xerneas deer one but i don't like its legs cause they remind me of Arceus and i HATE Arceus!
Heh. There's only so much you can do with the design of a stag-like Pokémon legs. Besides, if it helps, Arceus has much bulkier legs than Xerneas. Whereas Xerneas' legs look much slender and more like swords; which you have to admit, is pretty darn cool.

Now excuse me while I go look at my life choices after having just described the legs off of two Pokémon.

Rayquaza.

Lead Dev in Pokémon Order and Chaos
Years
Yveltal looks like it'll be a dragon/flying/fire type Pokémon or something along those lines, meanwhile Xerneas looks like it'll be a grass type. Although its antlers look as if they indicate some sort of multitype ability.

Crystal Noel

RPG Maker VX Ace Scripter
Years
Yveltal looks like it'll be a dragon/flying/fire type Pokémon or something along those lines, meanwhile Xerneas looks like it'll be a grass type. Although its antlers look as if they indicate some sort of multitype ability.

From what you said. Yveltal could be Dragon/Fire Pokemon with Levitate. Sorta like what they did with Flygon. Xerneas could have an ability that alters it's second type while maintaining Grass as it's primary.

Years
  • Seen Aug 30, 2013
Crazy how it's tied even with that many votes. I guess this means they did a good job :P

Not the biggest fan of Yvetals veiny look though. Xerneas looks amazing.

Rayquaza.

Lead Dev in Pokémon Order and Chaos
Years
From what you said. Yveltal could be Dragon/Fire Pokemon with Levitate. Sorta like what they did with Flygon. Xerneas could have an ability that alters it's second type while maintaining Grass as it's primary.

Sounds about right. Yveltal looks so cool. Xerneas just reminds me of Sawsbuck (I hate them because they kept on using Hi-Jump kick on the battle subway with fighting gems in BW/2).

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I'm not sure if anyone has seen this, or have speculated this, but I saw an interesting theory by some fans on the web:

Xerneas and Yveltal look very organic.
Xerneas might represent a Neuron, Yveltal might represent Muscles and Blood.
That means 2 of the 3 germ layers are covered.
Almost all animals develop out of 3 layers.
The third missing layer is the Endoderm.
The third legendary will represent the Endoderm.

Hm, if that's the case, and if we're still going along with the whole 'biology' theme of this pokemon game, perhaps these theories can shed a little light on what their types might be. Well, look - A neuron is an electrically excitable cell that processes and transmits information to the brain through electrical and chemical signals. So, Xerneas, representing that 'neuron' could potentially be an electric type! (with the key word 'electrically'). As for it's secondary type? Well, that can be in the air; it can be anything, imo. One of the types I'm leaning more towards is grass, because, well, I'm thinking that the trailer provided a sort of hint that it might be a grass type, because it was conveniently in a forest. Then again, it could also be a steel type, because its art sorta... 'looks' resembled from Dialga, maybe it can also be Psychic, since it miiight fit in with it's natural ability of making it's horns glow vibrant colors, or with this possible neuron theme.

As for Yvental, I guess from the theory that it can represent muscles and blood, could it be some sort of Dark or Water type? Well, even though blood is thicker than water, it -is- still technically a liquid. Then again, maybe it can be a poison type too? Since 'poison' can be an adaptable substance like toxic chemicals. As for muscles, well, fighting types pretty much resemble muscles, so could that be a possibility? Then again, I'm also leaning more towards it being a Dark / Flying type as well, from my primary... speculations.

Maybe their types can be something like that?

Mujahid

Sir Froakie is impressed.
Years
Anyone having any success in Decoding their Names ? The "Tree of Life" thingy isn't helping a lot.
Bulbapedia has something regarding a Celtic God for Xerneas but isn't he based on Norse mythology ?

Pink Mommy

Pokemon Breeder
Years
  • Seen Apr 12, 2014
Is it just me, or in the pictures they X legendary looks like a Y and the Y legendary looks like a Y?

Also, I preffer the Deer one. It looks like it were part of the Virizon/Cobalion family, but with cool antlers and sword legs.

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
Years
Probably not. It's most likely flying and "something". The more viable thing seems dark/fire here than really poison, which wouldn't really line up well with Xerneas given that if it's part steel or part grass, it's at a disadvantage.

Again, Kyogre>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Groudon.
The advantage wouldn't mean anything.

I still have no idea why anyone would even think of Fire there.
Poison on the other hand might actually have some basis, especially with how it looks from below, like its a freakin three armed virus-thingie that grabs hold of you and sucks the living heck out of you.

But they'd probably keep Poison for whatever will represent Nidhoggr...

btw wow, think of that, Poison/Dragon for Z, the serpent thats locked at the bottom of Yggdrasil o.o

Back