• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Linda Harvey: "Don't let gay doctors treat your kids"

Years
Not really. She has the right to say stupid ****, and we have the right to tell her to shut the **** up.
Or rather, we have the right to disagree with her and to criticize her argument for any flaws it has, such as the idea that children shouldn't be exposed to one perception of homosexuality (as competent medical workers) while her own perception is totally okay to encourage kids to accept.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
Freedom of speech at it's finest, where someone taking an unpopular stance on an issue like homosexuality is immediately told to stop practicing their freedom of speech (This thread) and sometimes flat out punished for it. (Hate crimes, anyone?)

The ammount of intolerance I see from the group supposedly advocating the equality of sexual orientations is the very reason I refuse to support them. Among other... smaller reasons. Point being, I'd rather be looked down on for refusing to take part in this /war/ altogether than to be associated with a group I either just don't agree with (anti-homosexuality groups) or a group known for having a tendency to put it's goals above things like our freedom and civility.

I agree. I'll criticize her and say how stupid I think she is until the cows come home, but I would never try to outlaw her right to say what she wishes to say.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
Or rather, we have the right to disagree with her and to criticize her argument for any flaws it has, such as the idea that children shouldn't be exposed to one perception of homosexuality (as competent medical workers) while her own perception is totally okay to encourage kids to accept.

Wow, you just said the same thing I did! (Well, in more words and minus the profanity.)

I still like my way better. Much more blunt imo.

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
I'd be very uncomfortable knowing my doctor was gay. I don't want a gay guy looking at me naked. Then again, I don't want a straight guy looking at me naked. Hell, I don't want anybody looking at me naked. :P

Anyway, I can't see how a patient would know that. Not to mention having to tell the people where he worked would be profiling/an invasion of privacy and the doctor could sue for a load of money.

So meh. "What you don't know can't hurt you." (Even if that isn't actually true.)

Last edited:

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
Freedom of speech at it's finest, where someone taking an unpopular stance on an issue like homosexuality is immediately told to stop practicing their freedom of speech (This thread) and sometimes flat out punished for it. (Hate crimes, anyone?)

The ammount of intolerance I see from the group supposedly advocating the equality of sexual orientations is the very reason I refuse to support them. Among other... smaller reasons. Point being, I'd rather be looked down on for refusing to take part in this /war/ altogether than to be associated with a group I either just don't agree with (anti-homosexuality groups) or a group known for having a tendency to put it's goals above things like our freedom and civility.

How is she being punished? I don't see how this is a hate crime.

If I say that a black people are gross, and I hope they do not touch me, it is not a hate crime if someone tells me that I am a racist. Although people would call me a racist, it doesn't mean that I would be a victim of a hate crime, because, by law, that hateful speech is protected. If people do not like me because of it, then they have that right. They have the right to not befriend me and criticize my beliefs (it's a two-way street as far a free speech). See how a racist causes their own problems, not the other way around? The same applies to hatred of gay people.

Also, civility and freedom is exactly what GLBT people seek when they advocate for gay marriage/equal rights. Essentially, it's like saying Martin Luther King Jr. was insensitive to racists when he demanded equal rights to black people.

I know it is a common analogy made between black rights and gay rights, but it is quite truthful.

Last edited:

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
How is she being punished? I don't see how this is a hate crime.

If I say that a black people are gross, and I hope they do not touch me, it is not a hate crime if someone tells me that I am a racist. Although people would call me a racist, it doesn't mean that I would be a victim of a hate crime, because, by law, that hateful speech is protected. If people do not like me because of it, then they have that right. They have the right to not befriend me and criticize my beliefs (it's a two-way street as far a free speech). See how a racist causes their own problems, not the other way around? The same applies to hatred of gay people.

Also, civility and freedom is exactly what GLBT people seek when they advocate for gay marriage/equal rights. Essentially, it's like saying Martin Luther King Jr. was insensitive to racists when he demanded equal rights to black people.

I know it is a common analogy made between black rights and gay rights, but it is quite truthful.

It's also a highly controversial, and to many African-American, offensive analogy.

I agree that there is no hate crime being committed by either party, though I do not believe in hate crimes anyway.

Years
Freedom of speech at it's finest, where someone taking an unpopular stance on an issue like homosexuality is immediately told to stop practicing their freedom of speech

My guess would be because she's spewing hateful, ignorant bullcrap. This "freedom of speech" argument is so over-used, it's ridiculous. I'm sorry, you can't say whatever you please and not expect repercussions. In a court room or in the eyes of the government you have freedom of speech, but outside you really don't. Try telling off your boss next time you work and see how it goes for you.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018

My guess would be because she's spewing hateful, ignorant bullcrap. This "freedom of speech" argument is so over-used, it's ridiculous. I'm sorry, you can't say whatever you please and not expect repercussions. In a court room or in the eyes of the government you have freedom of speech, but outside you really don't. Try telling off your boss next time you work and see how it goes for you.

*gasp* I agree with you.

Freedom of speech applies when the government is trying to restrict your speech, no matter how hateful or ignorant it is. It does not apply to private entities. For example, I can tell someone to leave my home for making racist, sexist, or homophobic remarks and they have no cause of action to sue me for violating their freedom of speech.

Another example is moderation here at PC. Someone can't sue PC for violating their freedom of speech, unless PC is getting government funding or something.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
So you're admitting she has these rights under the law, but are trying to justify the fact you don't respect them anyway. Yeah... that actually doesn't work. You can disagree as hard as you want. You can even choose to mock her argument. But when you choose instead to blatantly tell her to stop exercising her freedom of speech that is not justifiable.

I for one wouldn't care /how/ absurd or obnoxious her argument was. I'd still defend her right to make it. I resent that having an opinion, a voice for your beliefs, on a controversial issue opens you up to being thought of as not deserving the same rights as everyone else.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
If she wants to use her rights to speak, fine. But that doesn't give her the right to spew nothing but hate speech at a group of people.

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
If she wants to use her rights to speak, fine. But that doesn't give her the right to spew nothing but hate speech at a group of people.
That's sort of exactly what it does. She'll face repercussions (maybe), but that is definitely what the 1st if for. It being the ability to say as you please, even if it is wrong.

Back