• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen I hate the Dream World so much I wish it would burn to ashes

Do you like the Dream World?

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 8, 2023
The Dream World is the worst feature they have ever introduced into Pokémon. It is an incredible disappointment, for the main reason that it requires the player to access a computer to have access to the full functionality of the game.

You paid for the game - everything in the game should be available through the cart. Instead, if you want berries, you are required to leave your game and go to the Dream World.

It's a hand-held game! You shouldn't have to do anything of the sort! Everything should be accessible with the cart and DS. If I wanted to play games on my computer, I would. If anything, the Dream World should just be optional. Unfortunately, if you require berries, it is a necessity.

It has removed a function found in the games, and taken it outside of the game. It'd be like if they took breeding out and required you to go online for it.

It's only made worse by the fact that regular maintenance has to be conducted on the servers, meaning that you are further restricted from the functions of the game.

btw, this is completely different from the PokéWalker, because it wasn't required to have complete access to all the functions - it was just an add-on.

How was this tolerated so much by the fans? Was it because of the DW abilities? Did that compensate for the inconvenience that the Dream World caused for players?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I agree with your hate for the dream world, but for different reasons. It's a pointless and annoying addition that's lead to them excluding a lot of stuff from the game - I'm thinking they couldn't be bothered to find new places to put most of the old Pokemon so what do they think? "Hey, let's just dump them online and release a couple, that'll shut people up!" But no, it's so irritating. And I agree with your view on the berries - although you are able to get some in game from rangers and various characters, wasn't HGSS like that too? Thing is, since they've given every single Pokemon a Dream World ability, it's seeming that if they do ever make a new generation (or even a sequel/remake of old games) then those games would too have to use the Dream World, making it even more frustrating for those people that just don't like it or don't have access to it. And what's the point in 'Dream Pals'? You can't even add anyone you know and half the users aren't even active anymore o.o For these reasons, I stopped using the Dream World a month or so ago. :P

PS: I'm glad you posted this! It's not something I've given much thought to before, but now it's nice to see other people feel the same haha.

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
Thing is, since they've given every single Pokemon a Dream World ability, it's seeming that if they do ever make a new generation (or even a sequel/remake of old games) then those games would too have to use the Dream World, making it even more frustrating for those people that just don't like it or don't have access to it.

These abilities are officially known as "Hidden Abilities", "Special Abilities" or somesuch, not "Dream World Abilities". We've already been given event Pokémon with their hidden abilities and there are even two examples of Pokémon found within the game that come with their hidden abilities instead of the standard. There's nothing to stop them including more ways to find Pokémon with different abilities.

I feel that the Dream World premise can be refined to integrate better with the games. The Nintendo DS is an old system that can barely manage to keep up with internet communication, as we can see that it takes forever to do a Game Sync. On the other hand, the 3DS is a far more powerful piece of technology that could easily support connecting to the Dream World servers and being able to do everything from the 3DS itself, which would allow the Dream World mechanics to be integrated with your game a lot more cohesively.

As it stands now, yes it's a pile of rubbish built around cheap flash games and a house decorating idea that's nearly pointless because it's so cumbersome to visit other people's dream worlds.

Last edited:

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
Years
Dream world. o god... Really really bad addition. It limited competitive players like me very much. Wow! Politoed has Drizzle! O ****. DW Ability. O wow! A Dragonite with the Multiscale! Another **** DW Ability. DW was really an unnecessary addition. I mean, who would've though of...

Let's make our Pokemon sleep, and whatever it dreams of, it will turn to reality. No no.

Dream World= No. A big no in my checklist.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I don't think that the Dream World is very different from the PokeWalker honestly, and if anything it's less annoying. Berries aren't an essential part of the game, you can get through the entire game without logging on the DW once. A lot of people who got the game at release such as myself had to do just that. While berries make things convenient, they're definitely not a requirement to play the game.

You have to remember - you are far, far from their target audience. You decide to stop playing Pokemon? That's alright, there are 20 8 year olds ready to replace you and they love the Dream World. It's bright and colorful and not too difficult for them to understand and they get to get their favorite Pokemon and farm just like mommy and Farmville. The Dream World isn't meant to target you and make you happy, it's meant to make the kids happy, the kids that beg their parents to buy DVDs and merchandise and books and cards. I know my mom has spent more on Pokemon-related things from when I was a kid than I've ever spent as a young adult.

I'm personally not the biggest fan of the DW, but I'm of the opinion that just because I don't like it doesn't mean it should be removed completely. Other people have other opinions.

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
That doesn't really excuse them removing the entire berry planting feature that they so lauded ten years ago. Trying to promote the Dream World shouldn't be a case of making something that was easy before suddenly become a far more cumbersome and time-consuming process (not always available) just so they can fill in the gaps of their Neopets simulation.

marcc5m

what
Years
I don't feel like typing much, so I'll leave this here.

I don't think that the Dream World is very different from the PokeWalker honestly, and if anything it's less annoying. Berries aren't an essential part of the game, you can get through the entire game without logging on the DW once. A lot of people who got the game at release such as myself had to do just that. While berries make things convenient, they're definitely not a requirement to play the game.

You have to remember - you are far, far from their target audience. You decide to stop playing Pokemon? That's alright, there are 20 8 year olds ready to replace you and they love the Dream World. It's bright and colorful and not too difficult for them to understand and they get to get their favorite Pokemon and farm just like mommy and Farmville. The Dream World isn't meant to target you and make you happy, it's meant to make the kids happy, the kids that beg their parents to buy DVDs and merchandise and books and cards. I know my mom has spent more on Pokemon-related things from when I was a kid than I've ever spent as a young adult.

I'm personally not the biggest fan of the DW, but I'm of the opinion that just because I don't like it doesn't mean it should be removed completely. Other people have other opinions.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
In response to "I bought the game, everything should be on the cartridge".. something like the Dream World allows them to constantly put out new stuff for the game. They are just doing it in a way that they view as more "exciting" than just downloading an event, or making sure all 650~ Pokemon are catchable in certain ways that give them their Hidden Ability.

I don't think it's perfect though (yet). The mini-games are boring and the randomness of which area you get is very frustrating. I think it has a lot of potential. It's also fairly new, so I can't blame them.

It would be nice if you could transfer your DW house into your game, I miss the secret bases from Gen3. :(

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
That's mainly only the case because the DS and DS Lites don't have any means of getting new content for games. Like a lot of things in Black and White (musicals, animated battle graphics) they tried what they could to make the best of a bad situation. Thankfully though that's 2004-era technology and we have the potential for downloadable updates in all our new games consoles without the need for external sources.

Last edited:

iTeruri

iAm
Years
The Dream World is a great way for players to obtain otherwise unobtainable Pokémon.
I could totally see them distribute events through the Dream World. That's great, because not all countries get those kind of events. And even if there is an event, you'll probably have to travel to the other side of the country to get there.
And even worse is when you have to pay to just download a Pokémon. Yes, it's been done over here. The Deoxys event was in an amusement park. You had to pay to get in.

On the other hand: access to the Dream World is free. Sure, you need an internet connection and a computer for it to work, but most people have those already. So downloading an event Pokémon from the Dream World would cost nothing at all.

So yeah, I'd take Dream World event over normal events.

Volcanix769

Known as the Quilava Guy!
Years
I hate Dream World. The last time I logged in was 4 months ago. When I try logging in, it won't let me. And that I tried changing it, but it failed again. And that they should have tried this in-game. Our player IDs should have logged us in at the DS systems instead of logging in the computer with a password.

Years
  • Seen Nov 15, 2011
Hmm i cant talk ive never been on it (my wifi wont connect to my dsi) oh well just have to wait untill my friends wiki is going.

Pixel!

Smallest graphical unit
Years
I think some mini-games are lame but that's it
I don't hate the Dream World,think it's nice, the drama to get it kills it though ...

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
I could totally see them distribute events through the Dream World. That's great, because not all countries get those kind of events. And even if there is an event, you'll probably have to travel to the other side of the country to get there.

Dream World events are still often locked to various Global Link regions. In this regard they're no different from the wi-fi events that have been going on for years.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I have never tried it. With my terrible internet, I wouldn't want to try it. Luckily, I don't care about berries and I don't care much about DW abilities since I'm not a competitive battler. In the event I do want a Drought Vulpix, I could probably easily find someone in the Trade Corner that's trading or breeding some. Simple as that.

sherreamethyst

Dragonite's Momma
Years
It does suck sometimes. I like that it is new and a whole different way to get Pokemon, but sometimes I would just prefer to have everything like certain Pokemon and items IN THE GAME. I also hate how you can only go on for an hour, once a day. That sucks butt.

Like Pixel said, the minigames are lame. And having to play a whole bunch of them just to unlock other Pokemon is pretty lame too. And Japan was the only country that got the Pokemon Cafe which had Eevees in it.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
While the Dream World is a rather cool concept (and to get Pokemon with abilities they don't normally have), I think it's a lot less convenient than the PokeWalker because for one, I don't fully understand the process on how to connect there. Also, some people, like me, don't have a Wi-Fi connection to access the DW.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I think the Dream World is an awesome idea. Yes, it sucks on Firefox, yes, it's slow to connect, yes, you can't just choose which area to go to, but I think that adds to the challenge of setting out to find something, it's like Feebas in R/S, sorta, where you can't really know where it's going to appear, if it's going to appear, etc. :3

Just think though, guys, would you all be discussing Black and White now if the Dream World didn't exist? Probably not, because 1, global link poll, 2, new giveaways often, 3, new areas, and I really think it's kind of expanded Black and White in that it technically IS a sort of post-game. Sure the mini-games can be annoying, but if they wanted to make it easy to get the Pokemon then they'd just have made them all obtainable within the games with their hidden abilities and all. Oh yeah, and on that note, bet ya'll would be playing competitive Pokemon differently if a whole lot of Pokemon WEREN'T found in the Dream World (aka couldn't get their hidden abilities) and as a result the generation shift wouldn't have mattered. :x

Also, yes, it's annoying for those without wifi, but consider how many people have wifi these days compared to years ago for the western countries - it's kind of common now. And then there's the fact that Japan probably has wifi in every single home, making it work even better for Japanese players.

And I've probably repeated what a few others said (reading back, similar points), but I just really wanted to get this out. Dream World is definitely not a waste of time and can be really fun sometimes, too, so yes, I think it's a worthwhile feature. :)

Sensui

Ascend
Years
I don't like it either, because:

The Hidden Abilities could have been discovered on Pokemon in another way in game, with a Hold Item etc.

The C-Gear skins, musicals, Pokemon giveaways, could all be sent out as Mystery Gifts.

You can only play once a day, and you have to play every day to get enough points for the decent Pokemon.

Maybe it's just because I barely have any points, but I find I can only send 1 Pokemon I befriended a day unless they're a giveaway.

I do like the artwork for the Pokemon though, and you can see other people's houses if you want. But usually, I use Pokegen to get the Pokemon's Dream World ability because most of them are unavailable to me.

Back