• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Condensed PokeDex!

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Create your ultimate PokeDex but using only 30 evolutionary lines. (Pokemon without evolutions count as a line unto themselves, except for groups of legendaries, which can be considered as one line.)

The only catch is that you have to include at least one Pokemon of each type (though it can be a dual-types if need be).

Apart from that, it's up to you as to what you include: lots of starters or no starters, lots of legendaries or no legendaries, etc.

Go go go. :D

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
This sounds interesting, but can you show an example? =[

I'll do one to give you an example :) First I went through and made sure I had one of each type, then I went back and added some extras to fill it out. Also made an effort to diversify generations, no idea if I succeeded or not. I also based some on my favorites, but some on what I think is necessary in a Pokedex, like a Normal/Flying and a few legendaries, and some weak vs. some strong. Edited to put in some kind of generic order and figure out how many Pokemon overall are in my Pokedex!

Torchic line: One of the best starter lines - starts out adorable, ends up badass.
Squirtle line: Gotta have a water starter in here, and this was my very first Pokemon ever. Great memories with my Teenage Mutant Ninja Squirtle.
Turtwig line: I always thought that this was the coolest grass starter in the games. I love the way it ends up with the trees on its back!
Rufflet line: Big fan of this line's design, and very powerful. Just overall one of the best Normal/Flying types there are overall I think.
Oddish line: I've always loved Oddish from Hey You Pikachu and Vileplume from Pokemon Snap, and Bellossom is just an overall adorable Pokemon. Great line imo.
Kricketot line: When I stopped playing Pearl and then went back to it, the only Pokemon I remember having was a Kricketune named Fu. I must have loved him.
Mareep line: This one is just a fan favorite, and I love it just as much. Mareep is one of my favorite Pokemon names of all time.
Vanillite line: You will love this line. I will make sure of it. You will never mock it again.
Zubat line: What kind of Pokedex is complete without a Zubat in it? Plus Crobat is just awesome as a Pokemon.
Feebas line: Everyone should have the experience of having a weak, ugly Pokemon evolve into something as amazing as Milotic.
Grimer line: GRIMERRR
Heracross: Just cool. Maybe not the best Pokemon until higher levels, but always cool. Kind of like the dog of bug-types - friendly, loyal.
Tyrogue line: Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan are both really cool (Hitmontop is eh though). I also like the way they evolve, and their designs.
Sandile line: Just a really cool line, design-wise. And Krookodile wears sunglasses in the anime!!
Litwick line: Gotta love the ultra-powerful line. Starts out so cute, ends up so gracefully powerful.
Eevee line: If I could, I would even add more evolutions. Wanted to wait to add this until I was sure I had all other types; didn't really feel right crossing off all those types because I added an Eevee, haha.
Joltik line: How can you not love Joltik?!
Ralts line: The evolution branch on this line is really interesting to me, and both Gallade and Gardevoir are cool, powerful Pokemon.
Riolu line: Cute > badass. Can't get over how great that transition is in some Pokemon.
Spheal line: Just because this was my favorite before Gen V.
Scyther line: If only for Scizor, this line is really cool. Anyone remember how hard it was to get a good Scyther picture in Snap?
Shuckle: Cute and a surprisingly powerful Pokemon when you learn to use his gimmick right.
Shuppet line: Not very powerful I don't think, but the design of Banette is really amazing.
Larvitar line: Another one that's a favorite of many people. Just too powerful and cool to not include.
Larvesta line: Obvious one here. My favorite Pokemon ever.
Beldum line: My boyfriend's complete favorite and a pretty cool Pokemon. Strong too!
Mew: One of my favorite Pokemon. I didn't want to pick any legendaries because no evolution lines for them and therefore less Pokemon, but I just love Mew.
Dratini line: This line will forever be a classic. I kind of wish Dragonite was more like the other two, but it's still powerful and a great line.
Suicune: My favorite of the legendary beasts. Super cool, and walks on water in Pokemon Ranger!
Meloetta: I know a lot of people hate this Pokemon, but I think it's excellent. Adorable and a great portrayal of the spirit of music.

Total Pokemon: 79

Last edited:
Years
I spent way too much time doing this, but at least I had fun with it along the way. Rather than explain why each individual line is included, I'll just give some of the main reasons why my Pokedex is the way it is.

• Resembles a regular regional dex, with starters and weaker Pokemon in the front, and strong, specialty or legendaries nearer to the end
  • I wanted a good balance of types, so each type is represented by at least two lines
  • Tried to make every generation well represented, and I think I did a pretty good job
  • I wanted the starters to be single-type, so I just used the Johto starters rather than take some from different regions
  • Didn't play favorites when making my dex. If I had, it would be pretty unbalanced
  • Water is the most represented type, with 5 lines normally part-Water type (and can be as high as 8 dependant on certain conditions)
  • Wanted to get as many Pokemon possible while using just the 30 evolutionary lines. Almost went as high as 95, but wanted Pokemon like Ditto who took up a whole line themselves
  • Despite no actual evolution, for all intents and purposes I considered Mew and Mewtwo as part of the same line (if you disagree, then ignore Mewtwo in my list)
Everything else I'd say is pretty self-explanatory. So without further ado, here's my Pokedex:

Spoiler:

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
LilJz1234: Pretty much bang-on what Toujours and Brendino have done. Great job, guys!

Brendino: The Mew-Mewto linkage is completely fair-play. I'm actually going to edit the OP so that you can have linked Pokemon together. This'll mainly affect legendary duos/trios so you don't have to split them up and take lots of slots!

I've taken a similar route to Brendino in creating a mini-Regional PokeDex to provide for some variety. Although I have made this a bit more biased towards my favourite critters, there are still some here that I'm not too fond of. And, apart from Heracross being the sole bug, I've got at least 2 lines of each type. To start off, I really like dual-type starters, and I wanted to spread the wealth a bit between generations, so it resulted in the ones you see below. After that, I wanted a few 'piddly' Pokemon; but 'piddly' doesn't necessarily mean bad, and I really like these ones that I've selected. Then a few cave critters. Then Girafarig, which I imagine would just end up being like the Audino of this land: e-ver-y-where and awesome! No forest critters, but Heracross will appear in trees. Then a Psychicy-Ghosty temple full of the requisite critters. Then a hodgepodge of critters that don't really go anywhere. Then the water critters (with a quick detour through Cryonogal Cave for good measure!). Then the requisite 'one-of-a-kind' critters. Then the pseudo-legendary. Then the actual legendaries! Phew. I like this list, if I do say so myself!

Spoiler:

Back