• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Metro(polis?) - A Work in Progress -

Xaviar

I left my brain in its jar
Years
*Reposted from FS Forums*
Pokemon Metro(polis)​

**Made in RMXP, may or may not be using Poccil's starter kit (most likely not, due to complications with planned scripts)**

Since the very first Pokemon games came out, I've wondered about a few details that are hard to explain throughout the series.

1. Why are the cities so small?
2. Humans are weaklings. Why haven't Pokemon taken over yet?
3. WHY ON EARTH CAN MAGIKARP BATTLE, AND MUCH LESS BREATHE, OUT OF WATER!?

Well, I can tell you that two of the three questions will be satisfied with this fangame. [freeadvertising]#2 can be found in Maria's game, Pokemon Assault. :D[/freeadvertising]

*~*~*~*~*~*

We start out in District 4 of the city's 13 districts, with the main character in school. YES, IN SCHOOL. Just like real life, you actually have to go (for the time being, anyway).

Some quick background info about District 4:
> It is run by a committee (an oligarchy, essentially) that includes the main character's parents.
> Pokemon are not to be used in battle. Anyone who breaks this law will be exiled.
> Having more than one Pokemon is allowed... but you will be heavily discriminated against.
> It is the strictest of all the districts, and therefore has the lowest crime rate.

You and your classmates are on the pathway to deciding their sole Pokemon, one that will be their supportive life partner. Over the course of the next week (playing time, that is), you will have to make decisions that will influence what starter Pokemon you will get (and most Pokemon will be available as a starter). Sometimes it will be fitting which Pokemon you get. For example, if you're a very balanced person, you will get Riolu. Other times, the starter will be picked to influence your character and turn you into a better person. If you're too social, Cubone is a likely candidate for your starter.

An unfortunate secret is brought to light: one of your best friends has been denied a Pokemon. That's because one of his parents has two Pokemon. District 4 is a place held back by its old customs, and it won't be the first time that the snobbery affects one of its citizens.

Of course, things are too good to be true for you; so maybe your starter wasn't the one you wanted. But a rogue from the outside world, not afraid of the laws of the land, engages you in battle, and in self-defense you fight back.

What's the big deal about battling anyway? Well, something has changed in District 4, and in the city itself; it's not quite like the rest of the Pokemon world. For whatever reason, humans feel the pain of battle, not their Pokemon. Shortly after you defeat (and knock out) the rogue, you are arrested and brought before the council and your parents. The vote was unaminous. You're to be exiled to District 13, an unusual punishment for one so young. There, you will meet up with some friends and some enemies, and a few familiar faces along the way.

There is going to be plenty of systems, new and old. The first one is what I like to call the Big City system, a work that will add tons of realism to Pokemon Metro. The second is a new way of evolution, called the Confidence system. Since Pokemon have lost their natural instinct to battle, their confidence in their trainers is lowered tremendously. By leveling up and developing friendship, the confidence is regained. Once the bar is full, they will evolve.

~*~

For now, I need a few people to help think of ideas for the city (as there will be businesses, schools, etc. just like a real city), and some mappers, because with 13 districts, the play area will be massive.

If you want to just leave an idea here, any would be appreciated. Oh, and comment too. Tell me how I did. Criticize me and tear me down if you wish, making me abandon any hope of this project. xD

h POKE

angry kid and a keyboard
Years
  • CT
  • Seen Jan 17, 2016
Although it seems like a very good project, I'm sad that you can't be a...never mind. Knowing these forums, I'd get banned... Anyways, I think with a little elbow grease this could be very well executed. It would look very nice with buildings like bars and clubs, as well as high-profile theaters that would give the game some variety. As you might have guessed, one of my main critiques would be that a game consisting only of a large city would become very boring, very quickly. I would suggest putting in city parks as a main source of grass, but also dingy back alley ways bustling with neglected pokemon and vice.
P.S.-As a writer, I would very much be interested in being an editor for your game. It seems like so many people who attempt to produce games here have such poor grammar...

Xaviar

Years
I think I can handle the grammar part, thank you. :)

Planning on implementing shadow Pokemon too...

Exiled~Shadow

Once, JJMcay Now Exiled~Shadow
Years
Seems good and h poke is right, you should listen to him and use his idea's. this could be a very interesting fangame

P.S. i didnt mean the bit where he's your editor... thats your choice 2 make just like everything elce to do with this game....

Glitchfinder

Let's all get along, please?
Years
You'll have to take Metro for the name. Metropolis is already taken..

Is Metropolis still an active project? I thought that one got dropped ages ago.

Anyway, I think that this is a rather unique idea, and could turn into a very well made fangame.

h POKE

angry kid and a keyboard
Years
  • CT
  • Seen Jan 17, 2016
Shadow pokemon would work very well in a game like this. I would also suggest making palettes in more grayish colors to show the industrialization of the city in which the game takes place. You should also think about trainers and gyms...Would trainers be out in the streets? What would stop players from walking across the city and challenging the eighth gym leader right off? For the latter, i would suggest either making a series of "keys to the city" or gates and the like.

Xaviar

Years
Thanks for your comments, everyone.

Metropolis is just a temporary title, so if it's taken, I don't have a problem changing it.

Anyway, in place of gyms there will be tournaments. Technically, you can't walk across the city until you finish enough storyline in District 13, since you're trapped there for breaking the law. Not sure what to do about the other districts though...

And yes, h POKE brings up a very good point in saying that a large city can get kinda boring. Parks will be implemented as you have suggested, but I'm brainstorming for other ideas that will vary up gameplay too.

Hopefully I will have my first gameplay update soon, so this can be moved to the Games Showcase Section...~!

Back