• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

OSTs! v2

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Dossier_Ace_Attorney_Gyakuten_Meets_Orchestra_1_m.jpg

Alright, well, this is sort of a remake of the previous OST thread that died, however, I'm just going to switch it up a tad here. So again, you can simply refer this topic as a topic all about video game music. So, what are your favourite pieces of music or soundtracks from video games, and why? Is a specific game where it has all, or most of your favourite tracks? How do these tracks enhance your video game playing experience? What are your least favourite tracks, and what don't you like about them?

Feel free to list your favorite OSTs in correspondence to games, for example, my favorite OSTs are:

Mana Khermia

Nefertiti
Spoiler:

Disruptor
Spoiler:

Crystalized
Spoiler:

Hallucinate Bell
Spoiler:

Fire Emblem

Fateful Showdown
Spoiler:

Decisive Attack
Spoiler:

Clash
Spoiler:

With Mila's Divine Protection (Celica Map 1)
Spoiler:

Alm Map 1
Spoiler:

My least favorite so far:

The Legend of Zelda ~ Oracle of Ages Music - Crown Dungeon
Spoiler:

IggyKoopa

#429: magical pokémon
Years
Nothing much comes to mind immediately, although right now I can definitely say that Eladard from Star Fox 2 is one of my favorites:

Spoiler:

Along with Sonic 3's Angel Island Zone Act 2:

Spoiler:

And Mega Man X's Spark Mandrill:

Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
There is only ONE winner for this.

Donkey Kong Country 2 - Forest Interlude

Forget favorite video game music, this is my favorite piece of music as a whole, in any medium whatsoever. It is wonderfully composed, engrossingly atmospheric and just beautiful to listen to - and considering the SNES sound limitations, this is nothing short of perfection. The whole game is full of fantastic soundtracks.
Mining Melancholy
Stickerbush Symphony
Hot Head Bop
Bayou Boogie
Disco Train

I was actually on a track to post every single soundtrack in the game so I'll stop here lol.

Honorable mentions:
Donkey Kong Country
Rhythm Tengoku (The sound quality here is actually REALLY impressive for a GBA game)
Rhythm Heaven
Rhythm Heaven Fever
Elite Beat Agents (I know they're covers but they're so good.)
Wario Land 4
Super Mario Land
Punch Out!! (Wii)

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
Cop out answer, but I think I've enjoyed the soundtracks to almost every game I've played, if not a handful of songs at the least. This even includes games most people would rather not speak of such as Chester Cheetah's Too Cool to Fool. If it's melodic that's simply all that matters.

That said, the converse would be a game that's just full of thrashing guitars or is 100% orchestrated but goes nowhere. Give me a motif or a chorus to latch on to, something. This is why I tend to enjoy games that KNOW they're games and aren't afraid of synth melodies, even if they mix in live instruments elsewhere.

You can simply fit in your own examples so long as you assume I've played it, but for comparison's sake, I'd say I still Love Sonic CD's original soundtrack, but don't necessarily care for... well this is cheating... metal covers of anything that deviate from the source material for half an hour. Stuff like this can be found in anniversary albums. -_-

Years
I really enjoy the Mana Khemia sountrack as well! Such an awesome game...anyroad.

Some of my fav OST's are

Sonic Unleashed

The combination of internationally inspired upbeat music during the day and internationally charged jazz at night just makes the seperation between Night and Day more apparent. Every single area feels fully unique, and it adds a sense of familiarity as you start to get a sense of what each area is based from.

Rooftop Run (Day)

Windmill Isle (Night)

Savannah Citadel (Day)

Werehog Night Battle Suite

Shamar Hub (Day)

Shamar Hub (Night)

Monster Hunter Tri (and 3 Ultimate)

A Sweeping Epic Score, makes every fight amazing!

Main Theme

Brachydios Theme

Moonquake

Usurpers of a Solitary Island

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I'm a big fan of Max Payne 3's soundtracks. When they were developing their music, they've decided to take a route that not mane people have taken before—instead of hiring a traditional video game music composer, they've hired a band. It was a noise-rock band who've called themselves Health. They even went out of their way and let the band do their own thing, instead of just telling them what a song should or should not sound like. In the end, they ended up with a few of the most amazing soundtracks in all of video games.

I also like the music from Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. They were all pretty epic. They had the ability to get you feeling of happiness, nervousness, sorrow, or any other mood that they wanted you to—they were that powerful. Few of my favorite tracks are Link's Nightmare, Wing Ceremony, Goddess Shrine, Knight Academy Theme, and Legendary Hero.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
Anything from the older Final Fantasy OSTs or the original RPGs like Chrono Trigger or Chrono Cross. Here's one of my favorite, although it is the most famous tracks:

Coridors of Time

Spoiler:

TY

Im a huuuge fan of the SC1 & SC2 Protoss soundtracks, they give such a heroic feel to you when playing a game. Also most of Borderlands 2's soundtracks are really good imo.
Mainly i adore all the soundtracks in almost every RTS game :P

Homura Akemi

time is f o r e v e r~
Years
Hmm...I could just post some favourites - there's a lot that I love, regarding VG OSTs. I'll just group them into one single title.

Touhou

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

The Touhou Project series has some amazing music - even if most of the series was created by a sole developer.

Sonic the Hedgehog
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Sonic the Hedgehog - gotta go fast~
The music in most of the games sounds like music that would make you run at the speed of sound, go through loop de loops and collect rings.

Mystify

confused
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 10, 2020
The first map of the first episode in the first DOOM (lots of firsts yeah). I quite like it because it just captures the "**** yeah, let's destroy some demons!" mood perfectly.
Spoiler:

Prologue of The Wolf Among Us. It sounds kind of haunting for some reason. Sends a chill up my spine.
Spoiler:

The Price of Freedom from FFVII: Crisis Core. If I'm crying it might be because of this.
Spoiler:

Secunda from The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim. It's just so beautiful and soothing asdfghjkl;
Spoiler:

Route 104 from Pokémon RSE. It fills me with nostalgia and it's Pokémon so you can't argue.
Spoiler:

The Twilight Realm from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. Another really pretty track.
Spoiler:

Mors Praematura from Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs. If we ever have an apocalypse I will play this on a loudspeaker before dying.
Spoiler:

I just realized I went super crazy with this so let me just stop lol.

Years
I'm surprised this hasn't come up, especially since it's your thread Shawn:

Tales of Phantasia
Spoiler:

Also, Heroes of Might and Magic III
Spoiler:

And this lovely number from Pokemon Heartgold and Soulsilver
Spoiler:

^ probably the one reason I would want to fall in love.

Years
The entire Donkey Kong Country series. All of it. They all contain beautiful pieces of music literally all of the time.

A few select examples are:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

And let's not forget:
Spoiler:

---

Excluding that, a few of my favorite pieces are:
Dire Dire Docks / Jolly Roger Bay (Super Mario 64):
Spoiler:

Song of Healing (The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask):
Spoiler:

Jubilife City - Pokemon X and Y Cover (Pokemon: Diamond and Pearl):
Spoiler:

Freezeezy Peak (Banjo-Kazooie):
Spoiler:

Tlachtli

Crit happens.
Years
Whenever I talk about OSTs, these games always seem to come up...

Runescape
(if I could post the entire soundtrack I would, but we'd be talking 900+ songs)

"Saradominists": Played in the Saradomin camp during the recent 10-week world event
Spoiler:

"Fighting for Light": Plays during the 2-part boss fight of the quest 'The Death of Chivalry'
Spoiler:

"Sagittare": Plays during the (repeatable) Dungeoneering boss fight with Sagittare.
Spoiler:

"Shadow-Forger Ihlakhizan": Plays during the (repeatable) Dungeoneering boss fight with Shadow-Forger Ihlakhizan. It's a darker remix of the main Dungeoneering theme.
Spoiler:

"But We Can Fight": Plays during the final debriefing of the quest "The Chosen Commander"
Spoiler:

Metal Gear Solid (Series)

"Encounter" (MGS1): Plays when discovered by a guard. The series' iconic 'you done goofed' music.
Spoiler:

"Snake Eater" (MGS3): SNAAAAAAAAAKE EAAAAAAAAAATEERRRRRRRRRRR
Spoiler:

"Debriefing" (MGS3): Spoiler-free, plays during the big reveal at the end of the game.
Spoiler:

"Takedown" (MGS:PW): Plays during the forced-detection sequence on the way to the control tower.
Spoiler:

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite

"Teostra": Plays whenever you are fighting the fire dragons Teostra or Lunastra.
Spoiler:

"White Fatalis": Play whenever you're fighting the white variant of Fatalis, which appears at the top of the ancient tower.
Spoiler:

"Akantor": Plays while fighting Akantor in the heart of the volcano.
Spoiler:

"Ukanlos": Plays while fighting 'the White God' Ukanlos at the mountain peak.
Spoiler:

Back