• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sins of the fanfic section

Fallen Angel_Messiah Of Black Roses

The one you hate to love. :P
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Sep 29, 2017
Black and White, Racial.
Now, let me point this out, I'm not trying to raise red flags or anything. But it seems like every story I read, the characters are either white, or pokemon. Why not add a little diversity, it's not like it'd actually change the character''s roles. Mix it up with a few splashes of different geniologies here and there. IMHO, it really hleps the immersion role.[/QUOTE]

I am free to say, I am not guilty of this.

I have had my main character been White and Hispanic, even japanese. I've also had Black characters. I have not sinned with this :rambo:

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
Years
Whoa, quite a bit has happened here while I wasn't looking. xD
Light Azumarill said:
I must smell like PokeNip!
I was reminded of this all-too-common problem while reading a fic just the other day. This is when the author makes all of the pokemon love their trainers instantly and forever. This is unrealistic (even my pets at home don't love me that much XP) and just booooring to read. This doesn't always have to apply to pokemon liking their trainers either; sometimes trainers don't like the pokemon they get too. When everyone gets along like butter and toast; it's just not fun to read.

Yeah, I've seen this a lot too. The oh-so-happy pokémon (Which is always precisely the one the trainer wanted, as introduced by the generic 'what pokémon do you want?' conversation) is ever so content with his equally happy trainer and they have an unshakable bond of friendship and trust at the beginning of day two.

No, that's not really my idea of good character development, but on the other hand, everyone having completely dysfunctional relationships with their pokémon won't work either (as it kind of gets monotonous) so I guess balance is the best.
Light Azumarill said:
Bad guys always abuse their pokemon!!

Yup. >> Just because someone's in Team Rocket or some other evil group doesn't mean they can't have a good relationship with their pokemon. I agree; there are some people that are just screwed up and only have a Rattata to kick it around, but abusing your pokemon is not a requirement for an antagonist.

Too true. Just because villains don't care for people or pokémon in particular doesn't mean that they need to be completely incapable of empathy. This also seems to be an all too common trait of rivals. Because the rival is always a big meanie-butt who spends his time abusing small, defenseless pokémon and all that shizzle. Oh, and being mean to the main character of course. xP

Come to think of it, wouldn't it be amusing if there was a good guy who actually mistreated their pokémon (Not intentionally, perhaps, but still) or actually was a worse caretaker than the villain of the story?

Hanako Tabris said:
I understand my Pokemon!
It annoys me when a trainer, who just started out, can understand their Pokemon's dialogue. Unless there is a good reason for it, like classes or new technology, then it really makes no sense. Yes, while it is easier to have the Pokemon just be understood, just remember that it's an entirerly different language.

Very true. This is actually something I've been struggling with, because on one hand conversations with pokémon provide lots of room for character development (Moreso than monologue) but on the other, the 'mystical powers of communication' is such a widely used cliché that I'm hesitant to use it, and I do agree that having no explanation at all is just wrong. I mean, if the person had - say - grown up among pokémon of the species then understanding would be motivated, but a creature the likes of which they have never seen? Fat chance. xP
ProtrainerEon said:
Superliciousness baby!

Grey turned to look at his Granbull. He stared at the opponent's much smaller Machop. This fight was decided. His Granbull had years of training and this Machop had only just leveled up since birth.

"Machop, attack!" (Trainer1's name here) ordered.

Machop rushed forward, dishing out a powerful hit. Its fist glowed with power as it smashed itself into Granbull. The strong Mega Punch sent Granbull flying and it was knocked out in one hit.

Lol, this actually reminds me of a certain fic where a newly hatched Eevee KOed Wattson's Manectric with one Tackle, because it apparently knew that its trainer 'loved it'. This was obvious, of course, because only complete and utter love could compell someone to send their five-minute old Eevee against a gym leader's trained Manectric. Yeah. xP Needless to say, I don't much appreciate writers doing this either.
Shiney said:
Black and White, Moral.
To put it simply, people cast villans and heroes in sheer personifications of what they stand for. A true hero has as many dark secrets and fasads as anyone else, and the only way to tell if someone is truly evil or not, is to have a hard time telling whether or not their gultimate goal is right. [/ramble]

Nyu, I agree that the 'heroes' shouldn't be perfect little angels. I don't think they all need to have an uber-angsty past of blodshed and cruelty, but yeah, everybody has a skeleton or two in their closet. Besides, readers tend to be more interested in flaws than merits.
Shiney said:
Black and White, Racial.
Now, let me point this out, I'm not trying to raise red flags or anything. But it seems like every story I read, the characters are either white, or pokemon. Why not add a little diversity, it's not like it'd actually change the character''s roles. Mix it up with a few splashes of different geniologies here and there. IMHO, it really hleps the immersion role.

I'll be honest and say I hadn't actually noticed this until you pointed it out, but yes, it's true. A lot of folks just automatically assume the protagonist(s) to be white, don't they? I seem to recall one fic - not a very good one, mind you, but still - where the main character turned out to be dark-skinned and quite a few people expressed their surprise over it. Question, though, how should they be described? Because some types - like hispanic, for instance - are kind of hard to describe, because the geographical area the name came from doesn't exist in the pokémon world yet going into detail about nuances of colour etc. seems to be kind of a dubious solution stylistically. Does anybody know of suitable equivalents? 'cause I'm honestly stumped about the right way to describe them. x__x This is definitely a good point, though, and certainly worth remembering.

Last edited:

Light_Azumarill

Danny Phantom!
Years
Yeah, I'm guilty of the racial one too. -_- I think it would be pretty hard to have an official 'Latino' character considering (as said) it's not on the same world. The best you could probably do would be to say that the character has tanned skin and dark hair. *shrug*

I've got another thing that really bugs me! XD

LOL WTF? =D

Internet lingo is fine when you're chatting to friends and posting replies on PC, but in the realm of fanfics, it really gets annoying. It's unprofessional and stupid. If your fic includes the transcript of an online chat between characters, then I suppose it's okay, but it's still quite annoying to read. It breaks up the flow of a story and usually ruins any mood you've set. Especially the smilies. It's just so... lame.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2015
Now, to get into real cliches.

The Textbook Trainer

This is when the Fic starts with the Trainer waking up late, going to get his or her license, and ending up with the very last Pokemon a Professor has, which turns out to be the most powerful one he had in his inventory.

Team Generic Can Stick Their Rocket Up My -BEEP-

If a Fic has a Team (e.g. Team Rocket) that shows up twice in three Chapters, it's too freaking often. Spread them out a bit. And don't make their disguises obvious.

Humans Are Capable Of Evil, But Pokemon Can Do No Wrong

I don't care what anyone thinks. Pokemon should be just as capable of evil as Humans. This is especially true if the Pokemon can speak Common.

Nigma

~Witch~
Years
I think as bad as a bad criticism, is to receive no critism... I just have to get a look on my own fanfictions. Nobody has given even one comment to my written fanfictions chapters. Of course i didn´t stop writing, i have a lot of chapters written on my computer, but sometimes i think "why should i post them here? nobody is reading them".

Sometimes i think i am a bad writer or something like that if nobody leaves a comment. Well, bad criticism can be good too. Better a bad criticism as no response.

I think that if you want to write a big story and all, you need not only characters, story and stuff like that, you have to find someone who wants to read it too.

Light_Azumarill

Danny Phantom!
Years

I don't care what anyone thinks. Pokemon should be just as capable of evil as Humans. This is especially true if the Pokemon can speak Common.

Yeah! I hate it when all of the pokemon are nice! Ever since that anime episode stated that pokemon are 'all good and it's simply their trainers that are bad', many people seem to under this odd impression that pokemon are tools that are used for bad and can't be corrupted. T-T That, my friends, was 4Kids' doing. *hurls riceball at 4Kids*

I think as bad as a bad criticism, is to receive no critism... I just have to get a look on my own fanfictions. Nobody has given even one comment to my written fanfictions chapters. Of course i didn´t stop writing, i have a lot of chapters written on my computer, but sometimes i think "why should i post them here? nobody is reading them".

Sometimes i think i am a bad writer or something like that if nobody leaves a comment. Well, bad criticism can be good too. Better a bad criticism as no response.

I think that if you want to write a big story and all, you need not only characters, story and stuff like that, you have to find someone who wants to read it too.

Y'know Nigma, I'd say you have Ghost Readers. There are people who read your fic but never respond because they either don't know what to say in a review, or they're just lazy.

And on a personal note... I have to read your fics! XD PM me sometime and nag me! ^^;

Last edited:

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
Years
Light Azumarill said:
LOL WTF? =D

Internet lingo is fine when you're chatting to friends and posting replies on PC, but in the realm of fanfics, it really gets annoying. It's unprofessional and stupid. If your fic includes the transcript of an online chat between characters, then I suppose it's okay, but it's still quite annoying to read. It breaks up the flow of a story and usually ruins any mood you've set. Especially the smilies. It's just so... lame.

People...actually do that in fics? Bleah, guess I shouldn't be surprised by anything people do anymore but...well, let's just say I count myself lucky not to have read any of those. xP Still, let's not forget their usefulness in impersonating N00Bs. (See an lettter off compaint!!! for what I mean) Also, I could see it happening in something like text messages, e-mails, or heck, even PMs (if the plot varrants it) within a fanfic, but without a justifiable reason? Inexcusable. xP

SBaby said:
The Textbook Trainer

This is when the Fic starts with the Trainer waking up late, going to get his or her license, and ending up with the very last Pokemon a Professor has, which turns out to be the most powerful one he had in his inventory.

Nyu, already covered by ACC. But yes, I do see why this one would rub you the wrong way. ^^
SBaby said:
Team Generic Can Stick Their Rocket Up My -BEEP-

If a Fic has a Team (e.g. Team Rocket) that shows up twice in three Chapters, it's too freaking often. Spread them out a bit. And don't make their disguises obvious.

Ehh...let's not be overly general here. If the fic is about said criminal organisation then I would expect to see part of it somewhere. Also, if the conflict has escalated to a point where the main character(s) and the criminal org clash then I would find it quite illogical to just cut them out for a whole chapter in the middle of it all. But yeah, if you mean it in the animesque 'Blasting off again!' sense (like I think you do) then I couldn't agree more. ^^
SBaby said:

Hear, hear. I've always been preaching about how pokémon should be people just like humans, and that includes the potential to do wrong.
Nigma said:

Very true. And I agree with Melissa, this does sound like a case of ghost readers, an all too common affliction around here. The good folks of PC tend to be better at reading than commenting, unfortunately. -.- Check your pageviews as an optional measure of interest. Also, if no-one at all comments, don't be afraid to bug a friend or two into doing so. We don't mind, you know, and I for one am sometimes too busy to sweep the fanfic section on my own and might need a poke. ^-^

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
Years
Dark Pokemon can only be tamed by evil trainers

I hate it when people show of dark Pokemon as evil. I personally LOVE dark-type Pokemon and if I were writing an OT fic, I would have my main character have a dark-type Pokemon. The next time I see an Executive Rocket (or made up team) being the only ones with Tyranitars, Mightyena or Houndooms, I'm gonna scream...

Orange_Flaaffy

Crystal Bell Keeper
Years

I know what you mean, I have the same trouble. I posted a chapter back in Feb that it took me a long time to write and have never gotten a reveiw for it. Here, I am luck if I get a single reveiw per chapter :(. I remember back in the good 'o days PC had a small but steady group of reveiwers that seem to have all died :( ...

Back