• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Gold/Silver Scripting Tutorial

masterxy

Pokémon Breeder
Years
Nice Tutorial :)
Seeing as there's no real script editor for second gen I might add that to the Tool I'm writing atm. But it will have low priority. Of course I'd need to find out what all the bytes mean first too ^^
But indeed a nice starting point to GSC Scripting :)

com3tiin

Soy chamber...
Years
  • Seen Mar 3, 2024
PKSV works perfectly for the second generation games, only a few commands are different, but the truth is that it works 100%

Thanks to your tutorials I learned to use pKSV

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
Nice Tutorial :)
Seeing as there's no real script editor for second gen I might add that to the Tool I'm writing atm. But it will have low priority. Of course I'd need to find out what all the bytes mean first too ^^
But indeed a nice starting point to GSC Scripting :)
We've got all the information right here :)
http://hax.iimarck.us/files/scriptingcodes_eng.htm

Tauwasser has explained a few codes wrong. For instance codes "0A and 0B" should be swapped in terms of what they do, but apart from those small errors, that document is brilliant.

PKSV works perfectly for the second generation games, only a few commands are different, but the truth is that it works 100%

Thanks to your tutorials I learned to use pKSV
Well actually, pskv has a few bugs in it and some things could be implemented better in it as well. But it works well for the most stuff. Only things I can remember it "does" wrong are "fruittree" and some phone call command.

<p>thanks alot for such a tutorial. Can u tell a bit about flags and how they work? </p><p> </p>
Not sure if you're still around or not, but flags are 16-bit values that tell, which value to check from a table that starts in ram address $D7B7.

For example, flag "2A 03" represents for "0x32A"th flag which would be in address: $D7B7 + 0x32A / 0x8

*that dividing by 0x8 comes from the fact that we have to convert the bit value to hexadecimal first before we can sum that to the start of the table ($d7b7).

Once you set a bit number / flag, "1" is written to the address where the flag "points to" and when you reset a flag, "0" is written to that same address. So flags simply point to a single bit in ram.

Dramon Knight

Anti-Social Membrane
Years
Ah, I know you. I've seen you on Romhacking and I watched your G/S/C tutorials on Youtube before. Planning to watch them again as it's been a while since I touched any type of ROM hacking, they were always helpful.

Am still debating on what to do for a hack. I don't want to go mad with big, grand ideas and try things that are too complex in a beginner hack, but it's also pointless if I'm not learning new hacking techniques. Gen 2 deserves more hacks.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 16, 2022
Ah thank you for this amazing tutorial, definitely bookmarking this. I grew up playing gen II so my next hack is going to be a G/S/C game! Stay awesome!

Back