• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Adding New Moves and Creating New Move Effects

Years
@Pyro the Magma Fox, You can download the newest PGE, it's repoint buttons all work!
As for Roar of Time, your issue is pretty strange... Try with the newest PGE.
If it still doesn't work, you have 2 ways to change it in hex:
1- Look for this hex data: 50 96 00 5A 05 00 00 00 and replace 00 by 10 (But before doing so, change Hyper Beam's base power or accuracy temporarly!)
2- Take Roar of Time ID (f.e.: If you inserted it just after Psycho Boost the ID will be 355), then multiply this ID by 12, now open your rom in a Hex Editor, go to the offset in which your moves table is located at, select ID * 12 number of bytes, what comes right after the selection is Roar of Time's data, the 1st byte, 50, is the effect, the 2nd byte, 96, is the base power, and the third byte is the type (00 = Normal, 10 = Dragon).

Get the newest PGE from here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=299112

Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2016
There's your problem. You just edited the wrong data. It's fine. Just download another version of the roms.ini file and redo it.

I just edited the data back (I didn't screw up things too much) using your earlier post, but it doesn't matter much since I'm not using Ruby anyways.

Now for another problem:

I inserted Hammer Arm into my FireRed ROM at location 0x920000. At first, it looks like it is doing everything right: it says, "Arcanine used Hammer Arm!", displays the attack animation (using Mega Punch's attack animation at the moment), but instead of damaging, it tells me that Arcanine changed to grass type. I've tested it multiple times, and it always changes to grass type, so I know that it's most likely using Camouflage's effect. My bytes at offset 0x910354 are 00 00 92 08 5F 86 1D 08, just like it said in the guide. I am using effect 214. I have it listed as a 100 base power Fighting move, but it doesn't do any damage. My bytes at 920000 are 2E 85 3E 02 02 D8 28 00 69 1D 08.

Years
@Pokepie, Open your rom in a hex editor, go to the offset where you inserted the new moves effects table, select 856 bytes (213*4 bytes), right after the selection, you should see a pointer to Camouflage effect duplicated, replace the second one by 00 00 92 08, if Camouflage's effect isn't duplicated, then you derped either when you repointed the moves table or when extended it...
Also, just as a note, the Hammer Arm effect you're using is not working perfectly (Clear Body ability), I guess Doesn'tKnowHowToPlay made a better version of it.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 10, 2016
Hmmm.. I'm new here, and have been observing the move hacking everyone has been doing. I do understand that this tutorial is for fire red, but using the inis for PGE and BSP, this thread and a few others, have gotten a lot of this to work for pokemon emerald. That is, until I am to create new effects. I cannot locate psycho boost's effect for the life of me. Much of the data in emerald is quite different from Fr/Lg, and even ruby and sapphire's. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

LCCoolJ95

Limited Capacity
Years
Hmmm.. I'm new here, and have been observing the move hacking everyone has been doing. I do understand that this tutorial is for fire red, but using the inis for PGE and BSP, this thread and a few others, have gotten a lot of this to work for pokemon emerald. That is, until I am to create new effects. I cannot locate psycho boost's effect for the life of me. Much of the data in emerald is quite different from Fr/Lg, and even ruby and sapphire's. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
I totally agree with EH. I did the same thing for Ruby. I found all the offsets, except for where the effects table is. I would love it if there was some way that the effects found already were ported over to Ruby. That would be fantastic and such a help indeed.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 10, 2016
Tip for LCCool: Actually,the offset for the effect table in pkmn ruby is at 1D6BBC, according to battle script pros ini. It says emeralds is at 2D86A8.

I didn't have a problem with that. Rather, I have an issue when using psycho boosts pointer to find its effect. I get: 2E 88 44 02 02 00 49 00 00 3D... I'd tell you the rest but the thing is, the pointer after psycho boost's effect points to an offset that comes before psycho boost in the hexadecimal system. furthermore, the byte FB is nowhere to be found. I'm beginning to think that the way emerald conveys its effects in the table is completely different from how fire red does in its own. Can anyone confirm this?

Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2014
can anyone help me understand how to create the Physical/Special Split like diamond and pearl has but put it into emeralds please?

LCCoolJ95

Limited Capacity
Years
Tip for LCCool: Actually,the offset for the effect table in pkmn ruby is at 1D6BBC, according to battle script pros ini. It says emeralds is at 2D86A8.
But in the roms.ini for the Pokemon Game Editor, the Attack Animation Table for Emerald is 2C8D6C.

can anyone help me understand how to create the Physical/Special Split like diamond and pearl has but put it into emeralds please?
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=7465618&postcount=163

The second link is for Emerald.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 10, 2016
Ah. No I did not. I don't have ruby. Only emerald and Fr atm. However, I was going more on the fact that for me, gamer2020's logging of the tables hasn't been wrong so far. Also, the information on tables that I gave you was for the effect tables. Not the animations. I can give you table offsets for ruby as they are in the roms.ini of pge, but its up to you to test them, as I don't have ruby..

LCCoolJ95

Limited Capacity
Years
Wait, so the offsets you gave me were for the effects table? Oh, ok. And yeah, the thing is, the Ruby table doesn't have an animation table offset. I had to find it myself, and it works.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 10, 2016
Excellent! Can you help me figure out where psycho boosts effect is in the table? And what hex values emerald uses to determine its effects? It would help me a lot. The offset psycho boost points to is 2D8A4E. I have been messing with it for over a month now, and no dice.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 12, 2015
Hi :)

I didnt see anyone mentioning this, so a very very small trick if you are using Hex Workshop is to use the Replace option (just above Goto...) for those times you are gonna replace a lot of the same things.

- Anyway, I have some questions about this whole thing, if I may (hope I didnt miss out on any replies). First off, is it made any tutorial on how to add these new moves to our Pokemon's move table? Ive been checking out YAPE which only allows you to add moves if another move is deleted elsewhere. And I checked futher on Pokemon Editor Pro were the author warned that this function could be buggy as heck. For my game, Im planning to give every pokemon a new learnset, so a full delete to the whole "Hex Block" containing all current moves would actually be sweet, with the possibility to create a new and bigger table.. Is it that simple? :P
EDIT: I think the full move table are between 257494 and 25974E, so that would be a quick way to clear everything.. However, Im not sure what consequences that may appear from this. In Pokemon Editor Pro, you choose where the move table starts from, so I hope this fixes the pointer part.

Also, during my way through this tutorial, I got some ideas that maybe got messed up on this:
A note: All effects, like per se a chance to flinch and burn, must share the same chance of happening! (Limitation of game's code). FURTHERMORE, do not make it so there's a chance of two status allignments happening at the same time: it will not work!
What does this mean? Multiple status alignments against one target, or one status alignment to each of more targets? I kinda though out in my mind an ability suck as "Ice Age", that would damage and 100% freeze every Pokemon in the battle, but I kinda fear that this is something that will not work :P

Thirdly, I noticed you discussed stuff about double battles. Did you come to any conclusion about a safe edit to change an attack from hitting 1 to 2 or 3 other Pokemon?

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

Wesley FG

Pokémon Kalos Advance !! Gba Hack
Years
nice tutorial, i test it and work, really awesome resourcer for new hacks, but you forgot one steep :

change on PGE ini, for the new attack animation table too.

AttackAnimationTable=&H90336C

If dont make it, you don't know change the animations

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 17, 2013
Awesome! Except I have one problem, when I open up attack editor in gba pokemon game editor
the move's names are messed up example: Karate Chop is now, "ate chop" also i get unhandled expections. during hex editing a faster way to repoint that I just found out for looking closesly,
all you have to do is use the replace thingy :) when i found that out i was like: {XD} I AM KSTHESPRITE HACKER OF EVIL lol. Another problem that I have is when I use free space finder
to find a free spot it went to 71B2E0 It was ok, 'till the next time i used it i searched again(after i filled the spot, "71B2E0") and it said 71B2E0 again can you help plz? :) thnx

Back