• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Research: FireRed Pokédex Hacking

Years
  • Seen Dec 24, 2011
^ You won't.
If you've read the thread, you would notice that he's doing all of that for you.

i read the whole topic, but sometimes i don´t fully understand all the info posted because english is not my native language
thanks for clarify that to me

Late

Pokémon Artist
Years
Haven't visited Pokécommunity for some time but earlier today I noticed this thread but didn't have enough time to read it as I had to go to work. Now I read every page from this thread as this is very exciting. I appreciate your work and I'm really waiting for the patch, I think it would get me back to the hacking business. I'd like to help but I can't do anything helpful as I don't understand anything about ASM or even HEX editing (I haven't even tried ever as it seems that I can't get anything ready, I always stop at half-way or before, that's the only thing I don't like about myself...) I'm really amazed about how you made every evolving possible and whole expanding thing. I also read that you're going to add new abilities sometime, so I wanted to ask: "Are you able to make all the new moves from newer games?" That would be awesome too but then you'd need also the animations for the attacks so it wouldn't be that fast to do. I have a lot more questions in my mind but I think I have bothered you already too much so I'll leave them for next time :) I also downloaded your hack, going to try it now.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Small request, break your posts up into paragraphs. Makes them easier to read! lol.

To answer your questions, the abilities will certainly be added if I/we can figure out how to, as they're just basic ASM routines to perform little tweaks to the battle stats by and large.

The moves certainly won't be in any version released in the near future, but I may look into adding the moves at a later stage.

Nonsense, ask as many questions as you like, and i'll do my best to answer them!

As to you playing my hack, it's now horrendously outdated lol. Not worked on it for almost a year, and that was all before I learned ASM.

Late

Pokémon Artist
Years
I forgot the paragraphs as I didn't mean to write that much :S

I was going to ask about how long you've worked with ASM but it looks like I got already some kind of answer.

Then about movesets: Do you make Generation IV and V Pok?mon movesets by just getting rid of moves from IV and V, so they just have moves up to Gen III or are you going to make some kind of fixes?

Did you get the form changing done yet? I read about the problems with type changing at the same time and some other things you mentioned but I'm not entirely sure if you said if it was completed already.

And the final question. I know that you have a big project and it'll take a long time to do but do you have any kind of guess when the first patch is going to be available if you keep the same pace?

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
As to the movesets, I simply try to replace the gen 4 and 5 attacks with similar gen 3 attacks.

The forme changing is still not working. Need to dedicate more time to research it.

At current progress rates (as I'm taking a short break from doing it XD) never.

But if I were to go back to it hammer and tongs (so to speak), It'd probably take me about 2 months to get everything working.

Current Patch Progress:
Limiters (100%)
Names (100%)
Front Sprites (100%)
Back Sprites (80% - Missing Shiny Pallets for Unova Pok?mon)
Pok?mon Data (100%)
Pok?dex Entries (100%)
Movesets (0%)
TM/HM Compatibilities (0%)
Evolution Data (100%)
Evolution Types Added (100%)
Icons (100%)
Cries (100%)
Footprints (0%)
Pok?dex Habitat Data (100%)
New Base Exp System (100%)
Item Use Coordinates (0%)
Gen 4/5 Moves (0%)

Hopefully that'll help to whet some appetites... :P

EDIT: Bugger. Double posted...

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2021
First off, let me just say that this is amazing work. This kind of thing is what really interests me when it comes to ROM hacks, unfortunately I don't have the skills to do much contributing.

Like you said earlier, adding the knew moves shouldn't really be a huge priority, but there is something you could do instead in the mean time. There are plenty of moves that have the exact same effects (tail whip, leer, etc.).

As such, you could edit the data for those moves to be new moves. This is easy in and of itself. However, you'd need to edit which animations the game calls when the edited attacks are used (so X-scissor doesn't look like Howl). While I don't have the knowledge to even know where to start on that I'm sure you could figure it out.

Additionally, I had a question about the sprites you're including. Over on another forum, I've been leading a project to create updated sprite sheets for all 649 Pokemon. Personally I don't like the way Gen 5 back sprites look in the Gen 3 games since they were meant to be blown up by Black and White which is what I assume you've used. As such, I'd like to offer the ones that we've made as we have all the Gen 5s (except maybe formes) manually recolored/resized as necessary to fit the Gen 3 perspective, though I still have to edit the palettes for the shinies, as well as almost all of the others.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Yeah, I mentioned in a post above that I wasn't best pleased with the backsprites in particular, but as i'm not a spriter, there's not much I could do about it. The same is true of most of the 4th gen backsprites. So if you're offering better backsprites, i'll happily use them, and give credit.

Also, since the last post, i've started inserting the new moves from Gens 4 & 5 with some success, and I am working on a preliminary Physical/Special split, since the existing one is buggy, to see if I can get it to work properly.

Tests are looking good so far, with Dark Pulse nearly 1HKOing an Octillery, but only taking a Shuckle down to about half health.

metapod23

Hardened Trainer
Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
Yeah, I mentioned in a post above that I wasn't best pleased with the backsprites in particular, but as i'm not a spriter, there's not much I could do about it. The same is true of most of the 4th gen backsprites. So if you're offering better backsprites, i'll happily use them, and give credit.

Also, since the last post, i've started inserting the new moves from Gens 4 & 5 with some success, and I am working on a preliminary Physical/Special split, since the existing one is buggy, to see if I can get it to work properly.

Tests are looking good so far, with Dark Pulse nearly 1HKOing an Octillery, but only taking a Shuckle down to about half health.

I just wanted to compliment you on the awesome work you're doing Jambo. When this gets released, everyone will be using it, and you deserve a hell of a lot of credit for it.

Late

Pokémon Artist
Years
I already thought about when I have to post something here before this thread is too old but now I see there's more people again who appreciate you and your work. I by myself don't want you to stop now that you're this far in something so amazing!

So, it seems you're working again. How many new moves have you already included? And have you just made how they work without animations or have you somehow made the animations to them already?

Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2021
I would be more than happy to give you the back sprites. The ones I have use the B/W pallets. So for Gens 1-3 I just recolored the current back sprite (except for a couple: Magnemite and Feraligatr because Mag has a couple extra colors and Feraligatr doesn't have a tail). Then I took the Gen 4 back sprites and just shrunk them to 64x64 by hand and recolored. Some one else on our forum made the backs for Gen 5, so I still have to go through them a little bit. The front sprites I have were not made by me, but were pulled from B/W, the 493 project here, as well as recolored versions of some sprites from a couple hacks here, I think Lilac and maybe Light Platinum.

Here are examples of both the fronts and the backs that I have
Spoiler:

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Yes, I'll glady use these sprites if you let me. They are of much better quality (without a shadow of a doubt) than the existing sprites in my rom, and using a full set of BW sprites should work really well, as long as they're properly resized of course.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Just letting you know that I'm currently working on properly resizing all Pokemon sprites with the same ratio, all saved in files ready to be used with Wichu's sprite editor:
Spoiler:

Some are smaller than they are in Gen III but the reason why I did that is to keep all the sprites resized within the same ratio. This is because Pt/HG/SS/B/W Gen IV/V, they tried to make the size of each sprite relative to the Pokemon's actual size, which is why Buizel's Platinum sprite is significantly smaller than it's D/P sprite.

Also in the sprites that Wiznatts posted above, he referenced the 493 Project, which I am the creator of. I have abandoned that because I resized the sprites on an individual basis rather than all the same ratio. What I'm doing now is making them all the same ratio in order to keep the size relativity that was introduced in Platinum.

Also, if you noticed, the color palette I use is the one that most closely resembles it's Sugimori art. Sometimes none of the D/P, Pt, HG/SS, or B/W sprites uses colors that match the Sugimori art, so I use a custom color palette, such as Squirtle, Butterfree, Nidoqueen, Paras, Parasect, etc...

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Could you possibly give me an estimate on how long it would take you to finish them. I'm currently in the process of inserting new moves and movesets, so it's not a huge rush, but a timescale is always helpful. :D

I'm currently researching the battle scripts to see if I can find out how to make the new moves match the real thing in gen 5, if possible.

If I could pull that off, it really would be like playing gen 5 with gen 3's engine!

Mr.Pkmn

Ordinary ASM Magician
Years
  • Seen Nov 17, 2023
If I could pull that off, it really would be like playing gen 5 with gen 3's engine!
Seriously, this would be horrible. If people want not only the new pokes, but also the new moves/items/abilities they should play a gen 5 hack directly.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, but not just for this purpose

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
I know what you mean, but it would be an achievement if I could pull it off, and again, it allows people plenty of choice for hackers.
Everything except the new items will be available in my patch when i'm done with it. Lots of work to go yet.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
Seriously, this would be horrible. If people want not only the new pokes, but also the new moves/items/abilities they should play a gen 5 hack directly.

How would this be horiable? It's your choice to use it or not. As hackers and players we want to maximize the possibilities and features; not limit our selfs.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Could you possibly give me an estimate on how long it would take you to finish them. I'm currently in the process of inserting new moves and movesets, so it's not a huge rush, but a timescale is always helpful. :D
Um well, sorry, but it's probably gonna take at least another year. And for now I'm only doing a select 210 Pokemon for my rom hack, but as I start working on other projects I'll eventually have to do all 493.

metapod23

Hardened Trainer
Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016

I disagree. 'Twould be epic.

Late

Pokémon Artist
Years

I disagree. It would be a nice achievement to get these things work. It's also a lot easier to hack Gen III games and I know a lot of people who'd be glad to get every Pokémon to their hacks. And as Jambo knows how to make all these things, you can maybe get some help from him to get your own made moves/items/abilities and other stuff to your hack to make it something personal.
+ I can't play Gen 5 games on my phone :)

Back