• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Best Fossil

The Best Fossil ^^

• Helix fossil (Omanyte-Omastar)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dome fossil (Kabuto-Kabutops)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Root fossil (Lileep-Cradily)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Claw fossil (Anorith-Armaldo)

• Skull fossil (Cranidos-Rampardos)

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Armor fossil (Shieldon-Bastiodon)

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Plume fossil (Archen-Archeops)

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Cover fossil (Tirtuoga-Carracosta)

• Old Amber (Aerodactyl)

Votes: 9 42.9%

• Total voters

Granzen

Pokefan
Years
Who the best fossil ?
Helix fossil, Dome fossil, Claw fossil, Root fossil, Skull fossil, Armor fossil, Plume fossil, Cover fossil or maybe Old Amber ? :)
I think the best fossil is Old Amber (Aerodactyl) ^_^
What do you think about the best fossil? ;)
I make "Polls" on this thread and don't forget to reply ^^

Last edited:
Years
The Armaldo and Archeops fossils are great because both these Pokemons are giant in battling. But as there is only one option to vote so i voted for Armaldo's i-e CLAW FOSSIL

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
Years
A love more than a few of the fossil Pokémon. They never fail to be an interesting addition to the generation's Pokédex. However, I think my favourite might have to be the root fossil, which leads to the creation of Lileep and Cradily.

I'm a big fan of grass type Pokémon, and I just think that Cradily plays the part of a prehistoric plant incredibly well. It's such a bizarre looking creature with surprising potency.

Years
This is a toughie...

Helix fossil (Omanyte-Omastar)
I love these squidish snail! Its tenacles and spiked shell make it hard to resist, oh wait, but those eyes and mouth sure don't! Still, I really enjoy this Pokemon. 7/10

Dome fossil (Kabuto-Kabutops)
This guy has always taken the back seat to Scyther for me. Sure, it has nice slicers, but it's a bit redundant and lackluster. 5/10

Root fossil (Lileep-Cradily)
At first, I didn't like this Pokemon at all. But once I really look at its design, I realized the yellow on its head were designs, and the eyes were the yellow beneath its forehead. Overall, one interesting and sorta cute Pokemon. Agree with poster above! 8/10

Claw fossil (Anorith-Armaldo)
I had the same issue with this pokemon from the ruby sprite. I thought the eyes were the red designs on its forehead. Beyond that I am not sure whether to admire its use of metal to form the exoskeleton and brilliant wings or be underwhelmed by those wide-set eyes. I like him. 6/10

Skull fossil (Cranidos-Rampardos)
This one is tough for me. I have always wanted to see a dome-headed pokemon, but rampardos leaves me with a bland aftertaste. I like the two large horns that form a V, but I am not found of the small red eyes with not white or shine, the color palette, or the lackluster design. 4/10

Armor fossil (Shieldon-Bastiodon)
I love this pokemon. A culmination of a triceratop and a bulldozer. Though its concept is ambitious, the design still has an ease to it. This was my first fossil pokemon I selected my first run through a game. The others lack either uniqueness or aesthetic to be a first draft pick. 10/10

Plume fossil (Archen-Archeops)
I genuinely like this pokemon a lot. The concept of the first bird species is great; taking the pterodactyl to a more interesting place; plus the color scheme is perfect. Though, it does have one major flaw - that face. Why couldn't he have either an elegant or intense set of eyes, rather than derpy. 7/10

Cover fossil (Tirtuoga-Carracosta)
I actually love tirtuoga! And, these turtles have nice sharp beak-like mouths, which I love. But....Carracosta is bulky, dull, and far from aesthetically pleasing. 5/10

Old Amber (Aerodactyl)
I don't have any issues with Aerodactyl. I just think I would appreciate this one more, if there was a pre-evo. I really don't like when a pokemon, especially a full-grown one, doesn't have evolve from a weaker species. And, this one seems a bit generic, and not overly enticing. Though, I do not dislike this one. 6/10

Ranking:

1.Bastiodon
2.Cradilly
3.Archaeops
4.Omastar
5.Armaldo
6.Aerodactyl
7.Carracosta
8.Kabutops
9.Rampardos

Years
Even with its hindering Defeatist ability, Archeops and the Plume Fossil would be my favorite. Archeops was the first fossilized Pokemon that actually made its way on to my party as a regular, and I really enjoyed it's wide-ranging moveset and high Attack stat.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Aerodactyl was the first fossil Pokemon that finally made it onto a team of mine in Soul Silver. Since then it's become my favorite Fossil Pokemon. Also I've always like the Old Amber as well.

After that it would probably be the Helix Fossil (Omanyte) and then the Plume Fossil (Archen).

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
First of all is Omanyte/Omastar it is a cute little blue snail thing. After that is I would say Aerodactal as it a strong rock/flying pokemon. they are the only ones I really like.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I like Aerodactyl, much because Red in the PokéSpe manga had one ^^ Never liked Lance's Aerodactyl much in the Kanto games though. Still, it's nice that you can get two fossil pokémon and I don't think I could decide between the others, because they are all pretty cool. Especially the Hoenn ones.

Sirfetch’d

Dome fossil for me because Kabutops is such a good Pokemon to use, and I even use it competitively and find it great. Also it looks cool!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I went with the Plume Fossil mainly because Archen and Archeops are almost complete monsters in battle, assuming that Defeatist isn't active.

Years
I like most of the designs of the final evolutions from fossil pokemon, but due to the circumstances with which you receive them I usually don't use them in my party.

I used to always love Kabutops, but that seems to have died down over the years. These days it's a close fight between Bastiodon and Aerodactyl, but I think Aerodactyl just has the edge in terms of design.

The only ones I don't like are Lileep and Cradily, so I think the fossil designs overall are actually very successful compared to your average set of pokemon.

Granzen

Pokefan
Years
I went Old Amber, Dome fossil and Cover fossil
because i like water type pokemon and aerodactyl is rock/flying type.
I like them ^^

I went with Old Amber, Dome fossil and Cover fossil
because i like water type pokemon and aerodactyl is rock/flying type.
I like them ^^

Last edited:

No Worries

Biggest Obito fan ever!
Years
I'm assuming you mean the actual Pokemon they revive into.

In that case, I can't say I have a favorite. They're all equally awesome IMO.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
I like the Plume Fossil.

Archeops is a rather odd bird, as it seems like some sort of pterodactyl bird, also it's the First Bird Pokemon, meaning it was the first Pokemon to have some similarity to birds.

Daisuke Mitsuharu

Punching Bag
Years
  • Seen Apr 22, 2023
I'm more fond of the Armor Fossil, compared to the others. No particular reason, though; just a preference.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
The Skull Fossil is my favourite, Cranidos is an exceptionally interesting Pokémon and a very unique one at that! He can become a huge powerhouse in Rampardos (though admittedly a bit of a glass cannon) and the huge 165 base Attack is nothing to laugh at. It's just a shame you only have to poke him for him to die :p

It's also interesting how the poll results are turning out; would it be safe to say the fossils get better each generation?

Years
Nothing like Aerodactyl. I remember that episode in the anime when Ash gets trapped undergroudn with those fossil pokemon. Those were the days.

Altair1

Willpower
Years
It was between the Dome and Skull fossils for me...
Kabutops has such a fierce look, but Rampardos won it for me. I found it more reliable without that x4 weakness to Grass. It's ability 'Mold Breaker' proved very helpful in-game. Only used Kabutops in online battles, great fighter with the shell smash set!

Back