• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Return of the Pseudo Starters!

Austin1395

Dark-type Trainer
Years
In the "Fifth Generation Gaming" section, there is a thread talking about the Pseudo starters of Gen. 5, meaning the Pan/Simi families, and asking people's opinions. So, what I wanted to know is, who wants this to return?

Did you like their design?
Did you like the concepet of Pseudo starters but not the design?
Did you like/dislike that they were monkeys and would've prefered something else?
If they were to return, what species would you like to see them come back as? OR, would you like them all to be a different species?
What types would you want them to be?

Personally, I loved the Pseudo starter concept but wish that they had been a little better designed. I really hope that they return with X/Y and I'd like to see them come back as better designed monkeys with the types of Dark, Psychic, and Fighting. But, what about you guys?

Years
I love the idea of Pseudo Starters, however I hated the designs of all 3 and their evolutions with the striking exception of Simisage (whom I have now tenderly raised to LVL. 100). I would much prefer it if they spent a little bit longer on the designs, although obviously not too much, as we don't want them to eclipse the actual starters. I'm not a big fan of the monkey pokemon template either.

Fighting/Dark/Psychic Pseudo Starters would be interesting, but I feel it's less likely to happen now that Fletchling's evolution is Fire/Flying. Kind've annoying because I want to start with Fennekin and use Fletchling. If they're typing the regional bird as fire, I reckon they'll have an unrelated Water type, Grass type + maybe Electric type (Helioptile) available very early in the game; rather than have Pseudo Legendaries.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 5, 2018
Only thing I hated is they require a stone to evolve and like many stone evolution they don't really get much moves.

Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2013
I liked them a lot. Their appearance and everything.
Wish they would have allowed it so that you could have a starter of all three elemental types though. Thus meaning a second trio of pseudo starters.

Years
I'd like to see something similar to the monkeys, but having a non-starter Grass, Water and Fire Pokemon available early is close enough.

Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2013
actually and it may be fun, getting them after the third or fourth badge and having them be dolphins!

because we still have no canonical pokemon dolphin yet.

jfuze174

Elite Trainer Joey
Years
Loved the idea but simisear and simipour design were a little undesirable simisage was cool do hope they do psuedos again but I doubt it

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
I don't think that the Pseudo Starters will return for this generation. They were exclusive to Generation V because they only served one purpose: To battle in the first gym with a type advantage against the Pokemon you chose. As the first gym of this generation is not a Trio gym, it's very unlikely that there will be three more pseudo starters. I think that Fletching could be described as a 'pseudo Pokemon' because they have the type advantage against bug.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
Did you like their design?

Uh, no. They looked like something out of Dora the Explorer.

Did you like the concepet of Pseudo starters but not the design?

They're a cute enough concept I guess. Mabye something for very late in the game though.

Did you like/dislike that they were monkeys and would've preferred something else?

I felt choosing them to be monkeys felt redundant due to one of the types already having a chimp pokémon (chimchar) line.

If they were to return, what species would you like to see them come back as? OR, would you like them all to be a different species?

I would actually like to see them being the same kind of species. Maybe three kinds of dog breeds (e.g Chihuahua, Poodle, Pug) or maybe birds?

What types would you want them to be?

Dark, Psychic and Fighting please.

Last edited:

The Chrono

Ragin' Cajun
Years
I like the idea quite a bit, but I absolutely cannot stand the designs of the Pan/Sage lines. They just look really bizarre to me.

I would love to see some sort of rodent pseudo-line.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Hey guys, I'm gonna leave this thread here, but please have the discussion go towards the possibility of a new pseudo-starter group. Feel free to discuss the Fifth Generation trio here. If we can keep to that topic we'll be fine, otherwise I'll have to close this :c

As for a new pseudo-starter group, I'd be okay with that, but I wouldn't really want more monkeys personally. Honestly, if it were to happen, it'd probably just be another trio of monkeys that would come out, but the types might not necessarily have to be a triangle (which would defeat the purpose of being pseudo-starters). So maybe we'll just get more monkeys, but not another pseudo-starter group. I'd much prefer a new grouping of dual-typed creatures that could keep the water/fire/grass triangle going with secondary types, otherwise I'll pass.

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
This generation will have old pokemon in their regional dexes. They could just as easily throw in things like Growlithe and Psyduck at the beginning of story mode, without the need to include basic fire/water/grass pokemon for both you and CPUs to have.

FlamingRage

Can you feel my rage?
Years
  • Seen Feb 19, 2015
Honestly, I don't think much of them at all.

If they're in this game, that's ok, I'll be boxing it right away though, cause 1. I just think they suck in battle. And 2. this region doesn't seem at all to be limited with it's types like past gens, even if it is, I've got a speed boost torchic for a fire type.

Ayselipera

Please noooooo. The concept is fine whatever... but the actual designs were horrible. I hate monkeys with all my heart and on top of that their designs were just guhguhdfjsk so bad.

So yeah if they want to do it again... sure, but some other species besides primates would be great. I really don't even care if its the same three types. Just no monkeys thanks.

François2

#FutureSun&MoonMod
Years
I feel as if the concept of pseudo-starters has a list of both pros and cons. On the one hand, being able to attain pokémon of useful types to your team (rather than just the NORMAL NORMAL ooh a bug NORMAL NORMAL spam we usually get) so early in the game is great, and it's quite "neat" to be able to have an alternative to starters if you're that way inclined.

The main flaw in the concept I see is that a ready-made alternative to your starter or pokémon to brainlessly cover your choice of starter's weakness feels a bit dumbed down, making team-building in the early game a whole lot easier. The monkeys of generation 5 had a lot of problems outside of the concept behind them, but I won't get into that.

All in all, I am not overly fussed about the pseudo-starters. If they make a return in X&Y and they're better designed than BW's attempt, I'll be fine with their inclusion. They're in no way necessary to the games, though.

Sirfetch’d

I'd be up for pseudo starters to make a return, but I wouldn't want the monkeys or anything similar like that. I wasn't a huge fan of them, but having the pseudo starter really helped early on in the game. If they were to take this approach, personally I'd want them to be different and unique, just like the starters themselves. Obviously make them with lower BST so they don't become more powerful than the starters themselves, but mix things up. Give the trio different stat arrangements, make them look different, overall just make them serve different purposes rather than mirroring each other like the monkeys did.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I like the monkeys but I'll rather have them make another set of pseudo starters, this time based on time. Like a elder looking fire Pokémon, a baby looking grass Pokémon, and a water pokemon that looks like it's in it's not too old or too young, they don't necessary have to be humanoid to look the part either.

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
Now that we know that the Kanto starters will be available, where we can potentially choose it based to compliment our Kalos starter's type, I think it's a safe bet to say there won't be any pseudo-starters.

BraveNewWorld

The Breaker
Years
The monkey's were a great idea, but completely botched.

They're meant to be the three wise monkey's - see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil.

Pansage is supposed to be 'speak no evil'.
🙊
511.gif

Pansear is supposed to be 'hear no evil'.
🙉
513.gif

Panpour is supposed to be 'see no evil'.
🙈
515.gif

I think they could have done a far better job designing them, and their evolutions, around the three wise monkeys. Like literally removing pansage's mouth, pansear's ears and panpour's eyes. And keep their evolutions consistent with the wise monkeys theme.

------

I'd be for more "psuedo-starters". As long as they're designed better than the monkeys and their evolutions stay consistent with their theme.

Here are some themes they could use for the psuedo-starters.

Three blind mice. (Nursery rhyme)
Three little pigs. (English folktale)
Three wise men. (Catholic mythology)

Back