• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Java] PoKeNation - a new PoKeMon MORPG

Years
  • Seen Dec 2, 2010

rand_image.php
title.png

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PoKeNation10

2qjf88x.jpg

Well nothing much to say, I'm a PoKeMon fan like most of you and always wanted to be able to enjoy the pokemon gameplay with friends building an actual competition. Since I got the knowledge needed to do it, I decided to start this game in Java with my irl best friend.
Since I'm actually programming it in Java and not using a simple game maker I need to start from the main game engine, therefore the time to think in a story line didn't reach yet.

Developing Team:
Xavier [Game Engine Developer] (me)

-What I actually do is programm the game engine.
Mika [Content Developer] (my best friend)

-As content developer he makes projects, concepts, ideas and other work not related to programming.

35l9mw1.jpg

(What we aim to have, and not the current progress!)

- Multi player
- 386 Pokemons available (till Deoxys).
- New maps, tiles and objects.
- Full pokemon trading, quests
- Playable in the website and on most OSs (PC, Mac, and Linux).
- Interfaces and gameplay similar to the GameBoy games.
(this will be updated as we get more ideas)

18g46s.jpg

Videos:

Interfaces and basic gender selection added:

Using my map editor:

Chatbox, buttons, hovering effects:

When I added walking:

Spoiler:

Credits:

Since our developing team is creating everything and ripping everything we need from the ROMs ourselves the only person we would need to give Credits (company in this case) are Nintendo/Creatures Inc./GAME FREAK Inc.

Darkroy

C++ Programmer
Years
Looks good so far guys. Just one question. Do you plan on making this game C++ at all or purely Java? I was just wondering because when new features come out it seems that Java won't be as fast as C++. Therefore some huge features you have will be extremely slow or buggy. Of course, from what I've seen from the videos it seems that it all looks good and is really fast. Also, I don't really know what I'm talking about so really it doesn't matter what I just said...carry on. Anyways, I know a little Java and will be taking a Java class starting two weeks from now. Do you need any more programmers or staff members? Because I am interested in joining your team?

Dragonite Ernston

I rival Lance's.
Years
  • Seen Jun 15, 2016
Your map looks a little buggy on the last video, although I suppose that's just a recording error.

Also, you're making the window a bit big. It's showing us the whole map, which makes the place seem really small. Might want to make some bigger maps, if that's the case.

Years
  • Seen Dec 2, 2010
Well the last video was the first being made and it had some bugs.
Maps are based on ruby(nearly perfect copies) and i like to see a lot of map not like the mini-window games that people make in game maker.

And yes this will be done just with Java, actually Java isnt that slower than C++ and in some cases is faster, theres a lot of discussion about this because the actual myth "Java is slow" was true a few years ago not now :)

some benchmarks: http://www.idiom.com/~zilla/Computer/javaCbenchmark.html

Last edited:

davidthefat

I Love C++
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 3, 2012
Me no gusta Java porque its too protective; does not allow low level programming. Me gusta C++.

davidthefat

I Love C++
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 3, 2012
can I ask why do you like low level programming?

I know Assembly but dont like it lol
I personally program robots for my robotics team. Now, in an embedded system with the lack of processing power and memory, you have to try to squeeze every "juice" out of the machine. That is when you go low level and optimize your self.

Dragonite Ernston

I rival Lance's.
Years
  • Seen Jun 15, 2016
I personally program robots for my robotics team. Now, in an embedded system with the lack of processing power and memory, you have to try to squeeze every "juice" out of the machine. That is when you go low level and optimize your self.

Of course, I don't think a low-level system like a Commodore 64 is exactly the target of this engine's running.

But I do agree that eventually, you'll want to go low-level in order to optimize the programming, and not be such a pain on people's computers.

(In my experience, Java is slower than C++, even in the most basic of operations, when they're coded the same way.)

There was a quote once - "Real Java is just as fast as C++ - the only problem is, nobody knows how to code Real Java."

Years
  • Seen Dec 2, 2010
started ingame pokedex interface xD

a lot of things are wrong in the pic because im just trying to get a good layout ^^

2bdz5w.jpg

any ideas/suggestions?

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
Years
The bottom screen looks a bit plain. Why not put more info on the bottom of the screen such as the weight, height, etc.
On the top screen, there are a few errors on the colors on the text, but that's about it.
Also, why have such a large screen, but such a small PokéDex?

Usul

Cease my heart beat's weave.
Years
  • Seen Sep 1, 2013
I can't wait, looks impressive so fair.

hatake_kakashi

I am a Copy-Pokemon!
Years
wow! why is there someone thinking ahead of me? i was thinking of doing the same thing, i mean making a pokemon game using java.. (i am currently working on it ;-( ) well, this sounds good.. i've been waiting for something like this for a pokemon game.. good luck guys, hope to see some more screenies.. :)

Years
  • Seen Apr 6, 2011
With two people and already have this result, congratulations, I hope to play a demo soon

Back