• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
nocturnalninja, you can't trade, unless you don't find a pokemon that can evolve to that type, or if you need to trade to evolve. there's an onix in violet that you can trade for a bellsprout, and you can get a metal coat at the pokeathelon dome when you recieve enough points. So all you need is someone to trade with, which it looks like you've found already. good luck with it though. Steel is gonna be tough.

a small update on my steel challenge,
I forgot that gold didn't have skarmory, so i downloaded crystal and started over. Chose chikorita to make it more difficult, and i'll post an actual update later today.

Last edited:

NocturnalNinja

The Dope on Hiatus
Years
  • Seen Jul 22, 2010
x_x.......Thanks....just beat Whitney....for nothing. T_T Oh well...I guess I should've remembered about that Onix....UGH T_T Well, I'm going on a hiatus now...best I was told now than later... x_x

Draknir

The God of Fire
Years
Okay, so I beat Sabrina with little difficulty, and trained everybody to Lv.45. I then easily beat Blaine with CUTLASS. Then I ran out of trainers to fight, but I remembered that you can find wild Pokémon on Route 22, so I trained everybody to Lv.48 there and beat Giovanni. I beat my rival with a small bit of difficulty and made my way to Victory Road. In there, I got almost everybody to Lv.50(STARSCREAM was Lv.49) and defeated Moltres. I had meant to train against the Elite Four to beat them, but I ended up beating them with a team around Lv.50.

Battle Stories:
I went in with 32 Revives for later, 50 something Hyper Potions, and 18 Full Restores.

Lorelei:
STARSCREAM was defeated early on, but not before taking her Dewgong and Cloyster with it. PERIOR defeated her Slowbro and Jynx. Her Lapras was a pain though. It took down all but BOULDER, who I had use Explosion as a result of exhaustion(It was 11 at night) and boredom. That defeated Lapras. After the Battle I revived STARSCREAM simply so I could be defeated by Bruno.

Bruno:
STARSCREAM had a bit of difficulty with his first Onix, but it won. His Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee fell really fast, thanks to Fly and Sky-Attack. His second Onix was as hard as the first, but it too fell. His Machamp didn't go down easily, but it too fell, but not after defeating STARSCREAM. I actually had to use my starter, who I'd kept with me as an HM Slave and forgot to take it out of my party. Sadly, I didn't lose like I wanted to. Ember+Burn+Machamp using Status Moves and Missing Fissures=Three levels higher Charmeleon. I revived BOULDER after the battle because STARSCREAM was Lv.50 at this time.

Agatha:
BOULDER easily defeated her Gengar with a single Earthquake. Her Golbat fell to a Rock Slide, despite confusing him. Everything else fell to a single Earthquake each. Not much to do after the battle except revive and fully heal everybody to fight Lance.

Lance:
I had the largest struggle against his Gyarados. It took CUTLASS getting lucky and freezing it with Ice Beam, allowing me to heal everybody and to switch out for PERIOR in order to use a horribly weak Thunderbolt. Both his Dragonair fell to Earthquake from her simply because they didn't use anything other than Dragon Rage and Agility. Aerodactyl fell to CUTLASS's Surf with not difficulty. Dragonite was defeated by CUTLASS's Ice Beam, despite using Hyper Beam(Look up its Gen 1 effect and you'll see why I put despite). After the battle I healed up and readied myself for the Champion

Rival:
This took three tries before I finally won, so I'll go with the final one. His Pidgeot fell to a Rock Slide and a Mega Punch from BOULDER. His Alakazam fell to CUTLASS after defeating BOULDER and PERIOR. His Rhydon, Arcanine, and Exeggutor also fell to CUTLASS. Blastoise defeated my team several times over, but thanks to revives I survived. In the end, CUTLASS got a critical hit with Slash leaving it with more HP than a normal hit would do, but less than a critical hit would do. I prayed that Blastoise would miss and CUTLASS would get a critical hit. Blastoise didn't miss, but it didn't defeat CUTLASS, who scored a critical hit sealing my victory. I sat back and watched the end credits.

Final Team:
Spr_1b_076.png
-BOULDER-♂-Lv.52-Mega Punch/Rock Slide/Earthquake/Explosion
Spr_1b_095.png
-ROCKY-♀-Lv.50-Body Slam/Rock Throw/Slam/Dig
Spr_1b_112.png
-PERIOR-♀-Lv.50-Earthquake/Horn Drill/Thunderbolt/Strength
Spr_1b_141.png
-CUTLASS-Lv.52-Slash/Ice Beam/Surf/Submission
Spr_1b_142.png
-STARSCREAM-Lv.50-Sky-Attack/Agility/Fly/Take Down

And simply because I am an overachiever, I have already started on Gold. However, the most noteworthy thing I have done is beat my rival for the first time. I have however caught my first Rock-Type.
Spr_2g_074.png
-BOULDER-♂-Lv.3-Berry-Tackle/-/-/-

jespoke

Still do monotype challenges once in a blue moon
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 10, 2020
Ok, update time.

First off there is my Water Emerald.
- started with Muddy, the Mudkip
- beat may
- caught Raincloud, the Wingull
- helped wally
- caught Beachball, the Marill
- caught Beachball, the Marill (The first one didn´t have Huge Power like i wanted)
- got to rustbro, where i beat the gym with 5 Water Gun´s
- rescued Peeko
- got to dewford, and found steven while grinding, having Beachball evolve into Azumarill
- trained in slateport, and Muddy evolved into Marshtomp
- beat brawly with 7 Wing Attack´s, a Potion and 2 Water Gun´s
- got to mawile city and beat all trainers around
Team:
Spr_b_g4_259.png
Muddy Lv. 24 Mud Shot, Water Gun, Tackle, Bide
Spr_b_g4_278.png
Raincloud Lv. 24 Wing Attack, Water Gun, Supersonic, Growl
Spr_b_g4_184.png
Beachball Lv. 24 Rollout, Water Gun, Tackle, BubbleBeam

Next is Bug Soul Silver:

- i choose Totodile for slave (and some type advantage on my rival Nobody)
- did opening stuff
- caught Star, a Lediba (rather than a Weedle)
- grinded it to it´s evolution on Lv. 18 before fighting Falkner (where Light Screen was my most helpful move! w00t!)
- got to azelia
- beat rockets out of the well
- beat bugsy in a fierce Comet Punch VS Quick Attack duel against Scyther
- grabbed the Farfetch´d´s and got Cut
- made a literally head-banging teach Pi(a slave) Headbutt
- caught Horner and Defender, Heracross and Pineco
Team:
Spr_b_g4_166_m.png
Star Lv. 24 Comet Punch, Reflect, Light Screen, U-Turn
Spr_b_g4_204.png
Defender Lv. 7 Tackle, Selfdestruct, Protect
Spr_b_g4_214_m.png
Horner Lv. 3 Horn attack, Tackle, Endure, Leer

Next im going to beat Wattson and grind my new members

Last edited:

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
Years
Time for another update. I got through Union cave, destroyed Team rocket in the Slowpoke Well and saved Azalea town, yay. Bugsy didn't take long thanks to Hoothoot and neither did Gary's Bayleef. Got through Ilex forest and had a quick gambling spree in the Goldenrod game corner, before getting seriously annoyed at Whitney. Beat her eventually thanks to a few lucky Metronomes (Fire Blast, which also happened to burn her) and with the help of a quickly evolved Sentret. Anyway, I'm now on the way to harass a Sudowoodo, and Hoothoot just evolved. So it's as good a time to update as any :P

Togepi Lv. 19
Spr_2s_175.png

- Metronome
- Sweet Kiss
- Flash
- Mud-Slap

Noctowl Lv. 20
Spr_2s_164.png

- Tackle
- Hypnosis
- Foresight
- Peck

Furret Lv. 20
Spr_2s_162.png

- Ice Punch
- Cut
- Headbutt
- Quick Attack

Last edited:

GrassGiant

Grass Fan
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 10, 2014
Here's another update, YAY
-Defeated the Rival once again [Video]
-Followed a Grunt talking about things for no reasons and owned him
-Thought that this challenge was too easy
-Received SECRETPOTION
-Defeated a Grunt that wanted to blow up a town
-Destroyed Fantina[Video]

Team:

Raedu@Quick Claw
Spr_4d_389.png

Lv 46
-Crunch
-Curse
-Earthquake
-Razor Leaf

Artya@
Spr_4d_315_m.png

Lv 40
-Giga Drain
-Leech Seed
-Toxic
-Stun Spore

P.S. I'm uploading videos about every two days.

Years
Time for another update:

- Decided to risk Metronome against Sudowoodo. Togepi Selfdestructed DX
- Reached Ecruteak, caught a Stantler on the way.
- Stantler promptly trashed every single one of the kimono Girls. I withdrew Totodile to be a surfing HM slave
- Just beat Gary at the Burnt Tower
- The legendary beasts look hilariously unlike the legendary beasts
- Snagged a Meowth just to the west of Ecruteak
- Managed to get through Morty thanks to Meowth's Bite.
- Scaled the lighthouse of Olivine.Time for a long sea voyage, methinks.
- Got the Medicine and headed to the gym. Got completely dominated, even with Noctowl. Probably because she only knows Peck >.>
- Somehow defeated Primeape with Furret and Poliwrath with Furret, Meowth, Togepi and Noctowl.
- At least Noctowl has Fly now :D Flew back to Olivine to treat Amphy.
- Oh god...a steel type gym DX I didn't even get past Magnemite
- Decided to head to Mahogany Town to train first
- Defeated the red Gyarados, Team Rocket and Price. Time to give Jasmine another go.
- Finally toppled Steelix by teaching Furret Surf. Poor guy now has 3 HM moves.
- Headed to Goldenrod. Defeated the executive after a pretty tough battle and took down Gary...with Togepi XD
- Finally got Togepi to evolve while battling one of the Burglars. Maybe now it won't be quite so completely useless.
- Took down Team Rocket
- Once I got to Blackthorn, discovered that Totodile can't learn Waterfall. Replaced him with a Poliwag HM slave and Move deleted Surf from Furret, replaced with Dynamic Punch
- Finally beat Clair after a few lucky flinches
- Passed through Tohjo falls and entered Victory Road.

Togetic Lv.33
Spr_2s_176.png

- Metronome
- Sweet Kiss
- Flash
- Rock Smash

Persian Lv.36
Spr_2s_053.png

- Iron Tail
- Shadow Ball
- Faint Attack
- Pay Attack

Furret Lv.38
Spr_2s_162.png

- Ice Punch
- Cut
- Stength
- Dynamic Punch

Noctowl Lv.36
Spr_2s_164.png

- Take Down
- Hypnosis
- Fly
- Peck

Stantler Lv.37
Spr_2s_234.png

- Tackle
- Leer
- Hypnosis
- Stomp

Poliwag Lv. 20 (HM Slave)
Spr_2s_060.png

- Surf
- Whirlpool
- Water Gun
- Waterfall

Years
i couldn't get the trading to work for the VBA emulator, so i downloaded a different one, TGB Dual, hopefully i can trade now.. the sad thing is, i JUST got a metal coat from a magnemite.. hate my life..

I chose chikorita to make it more challenging, got the terrible onix that never listens to me, beat falkner after the second try.. stored the little ingrate in the pc and caught a new one. named him boulder. Grinded to level 15, then entered the well. only went back to heal once, and demolished the bug gym. Destroyed my rival worse than i destroyed bugsy. Slapped him in the face with a rock.

I'm yelling at my computer, so i think its a good time to get off..

My Current Team

Boulder/Onix

Level 15

-Tackle
-Screech
-Bind
-Rock Throw

NocturnalNinja

The Dope on Hiatus
Years
  • Seen Jul 22, 2010
Okay. Update on the Challenge. To make it simple, I withdraw from the challenge (AKA: quit). I have things I really must do before I think about doing a challenge at all.

Years
  • Seen Mar 12, 2016
I'm going to sign up for the Normal monotype challenge. I'm going to start on Yellow. :)

Years
Ok, I've been procrasitiating a lot recently, time to get back into things. I haven't played on my Mono Dragon for ... how long? Ah well. I still have a savefile around where I'm at the start of Platinum, with my team consisting of a sole Chimchar. I'll try to rush through anything until I can get a Gible, and then update. Let's see how long that'll take.

Mini-Update: Beat Roark, and it wasn't even hard. That's one boss down, three to go. Or, actually two, since Gardenia is toast anyways. Quite literally. Not going to be a problem for my (rock-smashing) Monferno. Going to have a little break now though, I'm hungry.

Real Update: Almost finished the non-Dragon part of this game now. Apart from the very dragging Eterna Forest (even though I skipped 2 of the 4 trainer dous), these extremely pesky cyclists who are hard to dodge and the massive unnecessary amount of grass on the way to the cave entrance everything went fine, and I'm now ready to go catch a Gible.
There's just one problem...:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 12, 2016
My Update:
(Normal type, Yellow)
-Caught Pidgey and Rattata, level then to 15 before facing Brock
-Defeated Brock (It was surprisingly easy o_o)
-Went to Mt. Moon and Pidgey evolved
-Found and caught a Clefairy even though I forgot about it -_-
-Then my Rattata evolved
-Leveled everyone to Lv.20
-Defeated Misty
-Lastly, I caught a Jigglypuff

Current Team:
Jigglypuff - Lv.18
Pidgeottto - Lv.22
Raticate - Lv.23
Clefairy - Lv. 22

Years
Update time again :D Thank god for summer holidays.

- Got through Victory road and just barely beat Gary at the end
- Died to Will's second Xatu. Crap DX
- Headed back home for some training
- First, went to Mr. Pokémon's house and swapped the Red Scale for the Exp. Share. Togetic really needs leveling up.
- Took up the age old training method of repeatedly killing Will's first five Pokémon and getting destroyed by the last one, Finally beat him....with Togetic XD
- Promptly lost to Koga. DX
- Repeatedly lost to Koga, but at least got some serious leveling done. Togetic is now something of a glass cannon.

Togetic Lv.50
Spr_2s_176.png

- Metronome
- Double Edge
- Flash
- Rock Smash

Persian Lv.41
Spr_2s_053.png

- Iron Tail
- Shadow Ball
- Faint Attack
- Pay Attack

Furret Lv.40
Spr_2s_162.png

- Ice Punch
- Cut
- Strength
- Dynamic Punch

Noctowl Lv.40
Spr_2s_164.png

- Take Down
- Hypnosis
- Fly
- Peck

Stantler Lv.41
Spr_2s_234.png

- Tackle
- Earthquake
- Hypnosis
- Stomp

Poliwag Lv. 20 (HM Slave)
Spr_2s_060.png

- Surf
- Whirlpool
- Water Gun
- Waterfall

Draknir

The God of Fire
Years
The training of BOULDER went slow at first, then slowly picked up. On my trek to Violet City, BOULDER became Lv.9 and I caught a Lv.3 Bellsprout, which I traded for ROCKY. I then went and solved the Ruins of Alph puzzle, and began defeating Unown to level my team up, though several apparently had Water/Grass/Fighting/Steel/Ice Hidden Power, so it was sort of hard. Got my team to Lv.10 to beat Falkner, but ended up losing the first time due to Mud-Slap, so I trained got them up another level so BOULDER would have Rock Throw. Problem is that ROCKY was at a level where he disobeyed me a lot. I still beat Falkner, with a 1HKO on his Pidgey, and a 2HKO on his Pidgeotto. I then made my way down Route 32, leveling up both as I went. By the time I got to Union cave, BOULDER was Lv.15, and ROCKY was Lv.14. After I got out of the cave, both were one level higher. ROCKY got to Lv.16 while I was liberating the Slowpoke Well, and BOULDER was Lv.18. After battling the trainers in the Azalea Gym, ROCKY was Lv.18. Bugsy easily fell to BOULDER's Rock Throw, so not much to say. I had an evil time against my rival. It took at least 10 tries before I beat him. I had no money by the time I beat him. His Bayleef's Razor Leaf was a 1HKO on all my Pokémon, but thanks to ROCKY's Mud-Slap and BOULDER's Selfdestruct, I beat him. I basically avoided all battles from that point until I got to the Goldenrod Gym, where ROCKY got to Lv.22. Whitney was pretty easy. Both her Pokémon were 2HKO's. I then got the Squirtbottle, and avoided all possible trainers so I could catch my third team member: A Sudowoodo named MIMIC. And now I am training MIMIC against the trainers I didn't battle before and after my battle with Whitney.

Current Team:
Spr_2g_074.png
-BOULDER-♂-Lv.24-62/52/62/27/27/19-Tackle/Selfdestruct/Rock Throw/Magnitude
Spr_2g_095.png
-ROCKY-♂-Lv.22-53/31/80/23/30/41-Mud-Slap/Screech/Bind/Rock Throw
Spr_2g_185.png
-MIMIC-♂-Lv.20-63/48/57/19/33/18-Rock Throw/Mimic/Flail/Low Kick

GrassGiant

Grass Fan
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 10, 2014
Wasted a lot of time getting a Surfslave
Wasted a lot of time destroying few trainers I did not destroy before
Wasted a lot of time searching for Poison Jab on Route 112,before understanding it's only in Platinum
Received Pokédex upgrade
Owned Jael(Rival)Once again [Video]

Team:
Raedu@Quick Claw
Spr_4d_389.png

Lv 47
-Crunch
-Curse
-Earthquake
-Razor Leaf

Artya@
Spr_4d_315_m.png

Lv 41
-Petal Dance
-Leech Seed
-Toxic
-Stun Spore

Last edited:
Years
emulator stopped acting up, so i continued my journey...

Destroyed Bubsy and my rival. Taut my slave cut and headbutt, even though headbutt isn't a HM, i needed it to catch Pinecone, my Pineco.. Went straight through Ilex forrest, and grinded pincone to level 20. Not gonna wait for the bug catching contest.. I don't NEED a scizor.

Whitney took me 2 tries. The first time, Boulder was infatuated, the second time, Pinecone took out the clefairy and died to the miltank before he could use self destruct. So Boulder had to use rock throw multiple times to beat her.

I need to wait til morning to find a sentret and teach it surf when i get it.. so i'm done for the night.

My Current Team...

Boulder/Onix

Level 25

-Tackle
-Screech
-Bind
-Rock Throw

Pinecone/Pineco

Level 21

-Tackle
-Protect
-Self Destruct
-Take Down

Years
Turns out Gible is far, far away from the overpoweredness that is Garchomp. While it does have Dragon Rage, which can 2-hit everything around, it still gets easily killed by something like a Ponyta. Time to grind, I guess...:\

Years
  • Seen Mar 12, 2016
~Beat Lt. Surge with only my Raticate
~Went to Celadon City and got an Eevee but decided not to use it
~Then I defeated Team Rocket and Giovanni
~Won against Ericka but only Pidgeotto survived -_-
~I forgot about Fly so I went back to get it :|
~I got through the Pokemon Tower and got the PokeFlute
~Went to Saffron City and beat the Fighting Gym
~Then I went to catch a Snorlax
~Now Im in the middle of destroying Team Rocket in Silph Co

Current Team: